Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 03-29-2011, 09:42 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default FJ40 on a tow dolly

How well does a 40 tow on a 2-wheel tow dolly? Do you need a heavy-duty one or will a basic one work?

What would you guys say a stock 40 weighs without a top? 3,500 pounds maybe?
Old 03-29-2011, 09:51 AM
Rising Sun Member

I've only towed a 40 a few times, both flat and on a dolly. Worked much better on the dolly than flat. Also, the tow vehicle makes a big difference. 3500 without top and doors sounds about right. (stock, without full cage, winch, big tires, etc.)
KDGWM
Old 03-29-2011, 09:54 AM
Hard Core 4+

Cool. I am thinking about towing it to Moab this spring for a weekend trip and doing some light trail riding. I have never been; that CM 2011 thread makes me drool!
Old 03-29-2011, 10:44 AM
Hard Core 4+

By the way, if anyone has one of these that I can borrow for a long weekend in exchange for beer or cash, let me know. I am checking Craigslist too, but I really don't want to have to store it somewhere the other 364 days a year that I don't use it.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:22 PM
Hard Core 4+

I have towed my '40 behind a dolly, as well as many other vehicles. For that long a trip, I'd remove the rear driveshaft, for the sake of your xfer case, transmission, etc. Also, I have found that you need to check/tighten the wheel straps at least 3 times, and more if it rains (they stretch when wet). I have an 'American Tow Dolly' (sold new out of Fort Morgan, CO, for $1120) and my only problem with it is that it doesn't swivel very easily, and this makes the towed vehicle bind and then 'pop' when you go around corners. Very annoying, and it can loosen the straps due to the shock. This dolly is very wide, which is good and overall gets the job done. Newer versions of this dolly have plastic slipper shims to prevent the binding, supposedly.

Just be aware that you get what you pay for, some dollies are very light-duty junk, and most need tires (and 14" heavy duty tires are hard to find and expensive). I have $750 into my dolly after purchasing it used and installing new tires and a rim. I also had to buy a mega-drop hitch insert so that the dolly sits level behind my F350 tow vehicle.

I like that you don't have to register it as a trailer and pay the registration 'fee', but there are times I'd love to have a car hauler. Hope this helps - Steve
Old 03-29-2011, 01:20 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I have towed my '40 behind a dolly, as well as many other vehicles. For that long a trip, I'd remove the rear driveshaft, for the sake of your xfer case, transmission, etc. Also, I have found that you need to check/tighten the wheel straps at least 3 times, and more if it rains (they stretch when wet). I have an 'American Tow Dolly' (sold new out of Fort Morgan, CO, for $1120) and my only problem with it is that it doesn't swivel very easily, and this makes the towed vehicle bind and then 'pop' when you go around corners. Very annoying, and it can loosen the straps due to the shock. This dolly is very wide, which is good and overall gets the job done. Newer versions of this dolly have plastic slipper shims to prevent the binding, supposedly.

Just be aware that you get what you pay for, some dollies are very light-duty junk, and most need tires (and 14" heavy duty tires are hard to find and expensive). I have $750 into my dolly after purchasing it used and installing new tires and a rim. I also had to buy a mega-drop hitch insert so that the dolly sits level behind my F350 tow vehicle.

I like that you don't have to register it as a trailer and pay the registration 'fee', but there are times I'd love to have a car hauler. Hope this helps - Steve
Definitely helps. Thanks...
Old 03-29-2011, 02:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

I've never towed a 40 with a dolly but flat towed a few times. No big deal there IMO. Snow sucks but not much threat of that again this spring. I thinks its more about your tow vehicle in either case being able to stop the weight.

I took it pretty slow coming down Wolf Creek in the 80/40 combo fully loaded while moving down here. But I rolled right along at 75MPH on the flats. 40 tracked just fine.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 03-29-2011, 05:01 PM
Hard Core 4+

I will be towing it with my full-size GMC Sierra, so I think that I should be good as far as tow vehicle size and wheelbase goes.

I checked Uhaul today, and their rates actually look pretty good for dollies. I may give this a shot. Thinking mid-May. Not sure that my stock rig is fit for CM 2011, so I may go on a quieter weekend.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:03 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

1/2 or 3/4 ton, the 3/4 will have better brakes.
99 F350 reserve hauler
03 F350 crew cab dually the bigger hauler
04 Lance 1121
90 fastiva dd still going
KDDHQ
Old 03-29-2011, 07:56 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyfj40 View Post
1/2 or 3/4 ton, the 3/4 will have better brakes.
He is right. with the weight of the rig dolly and your gear you will be pushing the max of a 1/2 ton nearly. Biggest issue is snow, trying to stop on a slick road can bring the rear around real easy. Just take it easy and you will be fine.

PS also take it easy on your tranny if it is a 1/2 ton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me