Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Default The Meanie is out of hibernation

So after a long winter sleep and a lot of work, the Meanie is out of hibernation and hitting the trails for the first run tomorrow at Chinamans Gulch and then Carnage.

I completely removed the old cage and seat chassis down to the frame. They were built with thinner wall tube, the seats weren't right, and I wanted a real windshield.

So I got a windshield from Marco, had to really search to find good hinges and all the HW so I can fold it down onto the hood. This way when were in the big stuff, if we lay it over the windshield should be half way protected.

Justin at Redline and myself designed the cage and seat cradle. Justin and Jay fabbed it all up. Now the seats are properly situated, the cage is stronger and I have a real windshield with wipers. I also installed a Moab heater under the dash and closed off all of the openings. Now we can stay sorta warm if the weather goes bad. I also installed the CB and HAM radios and installed an electronic speedo in the dash.

Underneath up front I built up a new Dana 60 front axle with full 35 spline HW, an ARB, Bluetorch knuckles, a beefier diff guard, and 5.13 gears. I also installed a double cardan driveshaft and rotated the axle housing 7 degrees to get the pinon up out of the dirt.

In the rear I put 5.13 gears into the 14 bolt and Justin installed a Ballistic Fabrication shave kit. That removes almost 3" off the bottom of the diff as the 14 bolts are always bad about getting hung up. Taking off the bottom (we also had to have the ring gear turned down) is supposed to increase rear axle ground clearance the equivalent of going from 42" tires to 44" tires.

Justin & Jay also finished up getting the geometry on the rear 4 link right. It had so much anti-squat before you just about couldn't turn it tight without feeling like it was going to flip. With the geometry right and the addition of a Currie anti-sway bar, this things handles like a sports car now on the road. Seriously. It should climb even better now too.

I had Justin build a rear tire carrier too and I just picked it up today from Paul's Customer canvas. I had Paul build a modular top so it can be just a bikini top, bikini with rear cover, you add the side covers and then the zip in windows. I wanted to be able to remove the side covers so the top doesnt get shredded when you go through the narrow places and lay the side of the cage on the rocks. I also had him skin the inside of the tube doors. Paul's has done 3 boats and now 2 vehicles for me and they always turn out great.

So thats it for now. Tomorrow will be a shake down run for Moab but she is just about ready to go.
Attached Images

Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 04-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Lifted

Send a message via AIM to ianacole Send a message via MSN to ianacole Send a message via Yahoo to ianacole

COOL!!! Can't wait to see it in action tomorrow!
Old 04-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Hard Core 4+

looks really good Randy, I can't wait to hit a trail with you soon, wish it was tomorrow

be safe!
Old 04-01-2011, 10:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

Looking great man, glad to see the windshield live on!!!! meany is looking great!
82 FJ40
Old 04-01-2011, 10:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Very cool! It should seem like a new truck!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 04-01-2011, 11:03 PM
Hard Core 4+

Looking good, really like the soft top, Paul does great work. Good luck tomorrow, wish I was going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 04-01-2011, 11:31 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Looks great Randy! I am excited to see how well the new geometry works on the trails.
KD0EXO
Old 04-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Rising Sun Member

Wow! I really like it Randy! Great work!

I'm super impressed with the soft top work. I am going to have to look into Paul's. VERY nice!

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 04-02-2011, 01:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

Looking good

______
Old 04-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
Wow! I really like it Randy! Great work!

I'm super impressed with the soft top work. I am going to have to look into Paul's. VERY nice!
He really does nice work. I had a few tears in the top on the Mule and he only charged me $30 to sew them all up and reinforce them.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang