Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 04-06-2011, 08:37 PM
Trail Ready

I heard Dave in there but it was a rough copy. I'm no expert on the 40 meter band so I'm unsure where we go from here. My friend here in town is a 40 meter expert. I'll run this by him and get his advice. Rami, I am able to get on the air just about any time during the day, if you want to try another time. And, Dave, my recent listening on 40 during daylight hours was much more of an enjoyable experience. Let's figure out how to make this work.

1991 FJ80 converted to an HDT with an A442, Safari intercooler, 3" exhaust, factory Toyota subtank, 3" lift, 285's, Warn 9500xi, rear drawer system, 42qt Engel fridge. This rig is SOLD!
Old 04-07-2011, 09:54 AM

Well,
At 9:15pm my time (EST) I was on both 175 and 178. I can hear the NET moderators 5-9 and very clear. some stations were clear, some not. I got a strong station from Utah. I did hear a station from Denver, but they were talking weak with the strong moderator.

I called CQ CQ CQ Denver Colorado on 177. But the moderator from 178 got back to me politely and firmly "the frequency is occupied!"

The 175 and 178 were doing endless rounds of signal reports and I did not stick around for long.

Bruce, I can go out lunch time 12PM EST (your 10am) to do CQ Denver on 40M.

Let me know a start frequency. I can try 177 again.

Rami
http://bestcamptable.com/
KD2KDK
Old 04-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Trail Ready

Our QSO last night was about my 5th one on 40 meters in 38 years of being an amateur. I'm definitely a newbie on that band and have lots to learn. It's much more crowded than other bands with static crashes and noise that is not heard on other bands. 40 meters certainly wouldn't be my go to band for emergency communications. It's big plus is that it is a night time band. So, you get home from work, turn on the rig, and you play radio on 40. I think we would have better results if we were running power. Dave, your signal was in the noise and very difficult to copy. I never did hear Rami. Is 40 the only band you have an antenna on?

1991 FJ80 converted to an HDT with an A442, Safari intercooler, 3" exhaust, factory Toyota subtank, 3" lift, 285's, Warn 9500xi, rear drawer system, 42qt Engel fridge. This rig is SOLD!
Old 04-07-2011, 10:54 AM

I can do 17, 20 and 40. Soon 75 as well.

But I have to know a head of time since I have hamsticks. Currently I have a 40 stick on.

Bruce, do you want to try on my lunch time?

PS, if you are a newbie, what does it make me? -newbie?
KD2KDK
Old 04-07-2011, 11:44 AM

dave,
i have IF 1.8 filter installed, but i think it is only on the receive end.

how would i select my tx filter? what do you think its called on the kenwood?
KD2KDK
Old 04-07-2011, 12:09 PM

I have the optional SSB 1.8 filter installed. Soldered it myself and it actually worked after I touched it.

From the owner manual:

TX Filter Bandwidth (SSB/ AM)
Use Menu No. 20 to select one of the following TX filter bandwidths: 2.0 kHz or 2.4 kHz (default).
Display Bandwidth Passband frequency
2.0 2.0 kHz 500 ~ 2500 Hz
2.4 2.4 kHz 300 ~ 2700 Hz

I can also put TX DSP filter as such:

TX Equalizer (SSB/ FM/ AM)
Use Menu No. 19 to change the transmission frequency characteristics of your signal. Uou can select from one of 6 different transmission profiles including the default flat response. Selecting any of the following items from the Menu causes “EQsT”
to appear on the display.
• Off (oFF): The flat frequency response for SSB, FM, and AM (default).
• High boost 1 (Hb1)/ High boost 2 (Hb2): Emphasizes higher audio frequencies; effective
for a bassy voice. High boost 2 does not reduce the low frequency as much as High
boost 1.
• Formant pass (FP): Improves clarity by suppressing audio frequencies outside the formal voice frequency range.
• Bass boost 1 (bb1)/ Bass boost 2 (bb2): Emphasizes lower audio frequencies; effective
for a voice with more high frequency components. Bass boost 2 emphasises more
low frequency response.
• Conventional (c): Emphasizes by 3 dB frequencies at 600 Hz and higher.
• User (U): Reserved for the optional ARCP software.

Off (oFF) is programmed at the factory as a default.
KD2KDK
Old 04-07-2011, 12:58 PM

yes Formant passes only speech. Good for car environment while driving.
The 1.8 filter does not rely on DSP. It is 'hard filter'
The truth is that initially I asked a more veteran ham to do the soldering, but then I got impatient and did it myself.
I also solder the TX-O stability Crystal. that involved cutting two wires, the first which flew into the radio and it took me 20 minutes to fish it out. One the second cut I was already more experienced.

so far I tried all DSP settings and none makes anything better. The only thing that makes a difference is the IF filter which is on/off.
Attached Images

KD2KDK
Old 04-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Just a quick point...

My greatest success working stations mobile in the afternoon has been on 17M. I get the east coast around 2200Z and very quickly signals QSB toward the west coat and the Pacific. By 0000Z anything left is headed west.

I made my first Mobile HF contact to a station in Maine on 20M. Just recently I made a contact with a Station in Hawaii while I was on the Ladies in 80's run from the top of the trail near Alice. Sure, I was at 11,000' elevation. But I still had to work to get that QSO. He was probably being polite and giving me a 5-9 sig report but he said I was clear.

Keep trying, and always listen when you're in the car or at the radio. That way your mind becomes tuned to who you will hear and where they are from and at what time of day it will work. I never imagined that I would make a QSO with a station in Spain at 2030Z (2:30PM my time) on a Thursday, but I did.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Trail Ready

I was using the beam, pointed north. The takeoff angle on the vertical is so low that it's typically better for working DX. I would have been 2 to 3 db lower had I switched to the vertical. From my limited experience on 40, it's very quiet during daytime house. Kind of enjoyable. I'm willing to try other bands. I think the ops on 40 use high power to be heard over the noise and the ops who don't run as much power. Like was mentioned in this thread, the bandwidth goes up with the increase in power, making it impossible for the barefoot op to carry on the most basic communications.

Let's try 17 meters.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:18 PM

I'm 40 dipole right now
Looking for clear freq
KD2KDK