Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 04-05-2011, 07:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Toyota to introduce diesel engines in 2012?

Today while traveling through Durango, a customer told me that his buddy, a Napa auto parts rep, told him Toyota was going to introduce to diesel engines in 2012.

The FJC gets a 3 liter and the Tundra gets something bigger. As the story goes his buddy says Napa received a letter from Toyota that they will need to begin to stock parts.

Seems a bit erroneous but maybe someone in here can verify?

An FJC diesel would drop in nicely in a 4runner!!!!
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 04-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

OK, two points

1 - Your a few day late for April Fool's

2 - Your in Durango and no Phone call?
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 04-05-2011, 10:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

As someone who has emailed and called Toyota North America enough about diesels to have them answer the phone "oh, you're that guy, I'll get my pen."

I don't think this is correct at all. Not that it would be difficult at all, as most every North American platform is also world market with diesels.

That said, Auto Parts shops carry funny things. I know of a Carquest that carries a full line of parts for the HZJ-75/79 trucks. I walked in and could have walked out with anything from a BEB to a clutch. That particular auto parts store however was the supplier of contract for a mine that has a fleet of HZJ-75/79s, and they clearly had enough pull to get the national office to turn on that option for that store, as it were.

My local Carquest in Idaho Springs--not so much. Same deal with NAPA.

A 3.0L D-4D would be pretty sweet in a 4-runner or FJC though, that's for sure. It would ALMOST make me want to buy a new Toyota, almost.

Last question about the story: why would Toyota tell NAPA to start stocking parts? Toyota would add them to the parts inventory (or rather, stop restricting them in the US dealers) and be done with it. Lately, they have stepped up their crackdown on parts for the good stuff. I haven't had any orders cancelled, but I know of a few people who have (1HZ motor mounts, and an HDJ-81 snorkel--it's in the warehouse in Ontario RIGHT NOW, but they cancelled the order because it's not for a US spec vehicle). I have not had that problem in the past, and I've definitely ordered more than my fair share of stuff that "shouldn't" be here.

Back to your diesel dreaming....

Dan
Old 04-05-2011, 10:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
OK, two points

1 - Your a few day late for April Fool's

2 - Your in Durango and no Phone call?
Sorry man, I was there for 2 brief meetings and then running late for a meeting in Cortez. I did have time to pick up a "Sampler" to go from guess where?
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 04-05-2011, 10:35 PM
Hard Core 4+

The pres of Toyota Japan in 2008 promised diesels in 2010. Go figure that was a year ago. You can do a search if you like on this, it was in print at one time. With a new pres or ceo, he now calles the shots and can make different calls.
I will believe it when they roll off the ships, which with the current problems in Japan, may be a while. Unless they import the diesels from some other part of the world.
The more I have been looking at diesel in the USA, the more I see a common thread. We have poor quality fuel in the USA(goes for Gasoline as well). Where most other places have better Diesel fuel(higher Cetane rating, better lubrication quality of the fuel). It almost seems like one would not enter the market in the USA because of problems that the fuel could create and said owner of the vehicle would want the maker of the vehicle to cover the warranty, instead of the companys that make the fuel.. Thank our government for not mandating this better. Fuel companies will get away with the least amount of work for the dollar they pull in. The end user need to be more aware and call the compaines on this. But hey, every thing is cheap in the good old USA.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:39 AM
Wincher

My one and only experience with a diesel motor was with a Prado last month in Costa Rica. What a great motor.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:40 AM
Hard Core 4+

Chris are you looking to buy a new vehicle again?

'72 FJ-40 - 33's, F&R Disc Brake Conversation, rear ARB, sliders, Winch.

'96 FZJ-80 - Borla Exhaust, ARB w/ M8000, OME 3" lift, sliders, 305 BFG KM2, 4.88's and ARBs, and usually dog hair.

TLCA#5366
Old 04-06-2011, 09:00 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

I don't know, I get a diesel magazine and in this months issue there was a blurb in there that Toyota is once again considering bringing diesels to the US. Thats probably where the parts guy got his basic info and then embellished a little.

Look at the ads on TV, BMW is making a big push to start selling diesels in their performance sedans.

The car makers still have to meet CAFE standards and since Toyota has started selling a lot more large vehicles that get less than stellar fuel mileage, it would be to their advantage to get higher mpg diesels in the mix.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 04-06-2011, 09:32 AM
Rising Sun member

I'll believe it when I see it.

But I'll be saving my pennies.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD