Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by (¯`·._.·[xtr3m3]·._.·´¯) View Post
I'm having the same search you are right now. Since the 100 is DD I'm not sure I would like the M/Ts on there. I do like the Hankooks though. I read a ton of good reviews on them so I put a set of their road tires on my wife's van. They are really nice.

Have you looked at the "HANKOOK DYNAPRO ATM"? You can get a set of 4 at Pepboys mounted and balanced with road hazard and prorated replacement for $715 after rebate.

I bought the Hankook Dynapros for my 100 series last July. They work great for on road and snow performance. I don't wheel my 100 so I can't say to their off road capability.
TLCA #20096
97 LX450 locked and not loaded yet <-- My DD
03 100 - stock DIY Starter<-- Wife's
Old 04-22-2011, 10:57 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sandstorm 4Rnr View Post
Why not another set of Maxxis Big Horns?
Too loud. was ok for a big pickemup truck, but we need a little more elegance with the 100 series...

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-25-2011, 09:02 AM
Rising Sun Member

One thing i'll say about the duratrac's ... they are real quiet in my opinion.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:36 AM
Trail Ready

What are the thoughts on the Cooper Discoverer STTs?
2014 BMW R1200GS Adventure
Old 04-25-2011, 03:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighead View Post
What are the thoughts on the Cooper Discoverer STTs?
Romer and Mike W. have them...One thing I noticed at the last meeting I think it was is that Romer's tires seem to have a lot of chunks missing compared to the Toyos
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 04-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Rising Sun Commander

SST's are a solid choice.. on par with the Toyo for off road performance, at least from what I've seen. Also louder than what I want on the 100... I went for the Dick Cepek's, they're shipping up from Texas so won't be in until Thursday or Friday, I'll toss up a pick when I get them!

www.gamiviti.com

Old 08-15-2011, 01:08 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Ah shoot, looks like I forgot the picture of the Dick Cepeks. Well I ran Dick Cepek FCII's for about 4 months. Had them removed today. Here's the story..

The Dick Cepek's had a little vibration since day 1- was tolerable at first install, drove a couple thousand miles on them. But still bugged me, so a couple weeks ago I took the 100 in to have them rotated/rebalanced. It got worse. So I went back and had them try again.. same deal, still worse. Now the shaking is pretty bad at 40mph.. to the point where I don't want to drive the truck.

Last weekend I figure ok maybe it's not just the tires, could be something else? So I borrow a set of LX470 rims & bald tires (but well balanced bald tires) from my friend Texas Chris. Had to get a new floor jack as my old one leaks now. Then I end up breaking 4 studs removing the Dick Cepeks (see broke wheel stud thread http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...ad.php?t=14123) so this project turns into 20 new wheel studs, 20 new lug nuts, oh while you got it apart new front brakes, pads, bearing repack... oh btw one of the bearings is bad so new bearing on the PS, bleed the brakes.. damn, this tire swap is creeping up on 4 digits... I was fortunate was available and willing to help last week though, otherwise I'd still be working on it and would have another set of variables in the mix here, should something else on the truck come into question.

So button it all up, put the slicks on, everything is great. Get it up to speed and it's rock solid, smooth, wow even stops a little better. So my old tires on my 100 rims ran great, so those rims are good.. these slicks on LX470 rims run great, so the truck is good.. let's put the Dicks back on. death wobble at 40mph..

Back to Discount, on Saturday, they say it's futile to try to balance those again, they road force balanced them last time, they're big heavy tires, took 14oz to get them within spec., that's as good as they'll get. Well it's not good enough, what are my other options? They'll call Dick Cepek on Monday to see if they'll return them. So I get a call this morning, Dick Cepek's willing to take them back, would even give me another set, but they haven't had any other complaints so no confidence I'll notice any improvement. Well how about another set of tires then? Sure, anything you want.

Ok do you have any 285 Duratracs in stock? Yup, come on down... after an argument about torque spec (they're not allowed to send you off "under-torqued," it's 100 pounds or nothing now) I toss them my keys and cross my fingers.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 08-15-2011, 01:14 PM
Rising Sun Commander

First impressions of the Duratracs compared to the Dick Cepeks is they're a night and day difference. Much smoother, even at parking lot speeds. Considerably quieter.. like quieter than BFG AT's quiet, I can't really explain that one but it's true. And smooth as glass.. wow I can't believe how bad those Dick Cepeks really were.. I'm loving the 100 again.

Tread depth of the Goodyear's is about half of the Dick Cepeks.. so the tire is noticeably smaller. But that probably means I've got more torque off the line now. Spacing between the lugs is bigger on the Goodyears, it was pretty tight on the Dicks, and I ended up picking up a lot of pea gravel from the side of my driveway. Some of that could have contributed to the wobble, though I picked every single pebble out of them prior to my extensive experimentation.

I've got a 285 spare now (thanks again, Corsair!) and all new wheel studs, so less of a worry about blowing a sidewall than before, I'm going to pick up one of those repair kits too just for piece of mind. Plus my certs transferred at Discount. Anyway so I'm running Duratracs now, so far so good.

edit: forgot to mention the tire install guy said the Goodyears took about half the weight of what they took off of there for the Dick Cepeks. Hard to believe I had almost a pound of extra weight trying to balance a tire.. that mold must have an off-center core or something. funny I'm the only guy to notice though..
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Old 08-15-2011, 02:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

Great to hear Tim! Great report and insight. I'll be interested in your long term feelings on the Duratracs as I'm sure I'll be looking for some good all around tires for one vehicle or another in the future. Glad the spare will work for you too

Oh, and I think I have two tire repair kits. I bought one and then won one in a raffle or something. If you are interested I can look at them to see what they are and make you a deal on one of them
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 08-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

them duratracs i'm tellin ya quiet!! grippy
we'll see about lifespan but glad I went against the grain on these.