Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-15-2013, 12:28 AM
Rising Sun Member

I sold my TG's. They seemed to do everything just fine - even though I blew out a sidewall on Chicken Corners at CM 2012 (talk about easy trails) but I never loved them.

I love my Duratracs, from looks to performance. I do worry about sidewalls, not because I think they are weak, but because the design of the tire has a narrower square-edged tread so when aired down they hang over more. On road handling of my 80 is better than ever with the Duratracs. Better than the BFG AT's or TG's.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:29 PM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukshuk View Post
I sold my TG's. They seemed to do everything just fine - even though I blew out a sidewall on Chicken Corners at CM 2012 (talk about easy trails) but I never loved them.

I love my Duratracs, from looks to performance. I do worry about sidewalls, not because I think they are weak, but because the design of the tire has a narrower square-edged tread so when aired down they hang over more. On road handling of my 80 is better than ever with the Duratracs. Better than the BFG AT's or TG's.
X2 on Duratracks - way better than any other tire I have ever had. I'm running the 285/75-16s on my 60.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 07-16-2013, 03:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

Sidewall is important so I thought....I just ripped a sidewall on my Radial TSL Super Swampers on Argentine......would have been sexier on a tough trail.

Anyone know of a tire shop that will do an interior patch on a tire?

97 LX450
Old 07-16-2013, 04:41 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBRADY View Post
Sidewall is important so I thought....I just ripped a sidewall on my Radial TSL Super Swampers on Argentine......would have been sexier on a tough trail.

Anyone know of a tire shop that will do an interior patch on a tire?
DSL might as they do truck tires.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 07-16-2013, 05:37 PM
Rising Sun Commander

For the record, I'm going to air down less from now on. 25 in front, 30 in back... on highway I'm more like 45/45. I'm fairly convinced that the DT's get too bulgy when you bring them down closer to 20, particularly in a heavy and loaded wagon.

And ride quality is still ok even at 25 in front, which could be the sole benefit of IFS..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 07-16-2013, 07:21 PM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
For the record, I'm going to air down less from now on. 25 in front, 30 in back... on highway I'm more like 45/45. I'm fairly convinced that the DT's get too bulgy when you bring them down closer to 20, particularly in a heavy and loaded wagon.

And ride quality is still ok even at 25 in front, which could be the sole benefit of IFS..
I kind of did that when I first got mine, but now I have more confidence in the sidewalls, and go 35/35 on road and 20/20 off road. When I was running 45 on road it was kind of harsh. I think these tires are designed to have more sidewall bulge than we are used to seeing in other models of tires. In fact, I used to ding up my rims a lot more with my BFGs than I have with the Duratracs.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 07-16-2013, 09:29 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

I thought the tgs were ok, better that the bfgs. I'll probably to with duratrac in 100. You guys run some high pressure. I would think 32-35 road and 18-20 off is good
TLCA#4180
Old 07-16-2013, 10:17 PM
Rising Sun Member

around 42 road. 18-25 offroad depending if dirt or slickrock. I have gone as high as 50 trying it out and no problem highway, rough in town.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

45 is probably way on high side. Is that hot or cold? You know the tire heats up and will raise the pressure? so when you are at 45 and it heats up it could be as high as 55 or more possibly exceeding the air pressure requirements. you should do air pressure by hot and cold and no than 10% difference and load for HWY driving. Too high a pressure and you hit something the tire can burst.

Beater probably has a lot of good info for thread.
TLCA#4180
Old 07-17-2013, 07:50 AM
Hard Core 4+

One of my local GoodYear dealers down here quit selling DT's to the oil/gas guys as they had way too many sidewall problems. I love mine in the winter, the way they look, ride quality etc... But the sidewalls are paper thin compared to anything else I've ever owned. I would assume they have more kevlar or something to get the "E" rating? I've never punctured a sidewall on any tire yet but I do have a couple cuts in my DT's sidewalls from somewhere? And I never wheel them? Where as I abuse my Generals and they show less sidewall wear. I air down to 12-18psi depending on the trail.

But in reality if you find a sharp rock it will probably cut any tire. And most of our trucks see far more pavement than trail. So it can be hard to run a aggressive heavy tire on a DD. I wish I had a 3rd set of wheels for a set of trail tires and could run a mild AT for DD duties. My Generals will be done by the end of this summer. I'm going with Toyo MT's next in all likely hood. That is the preferred tire down here for the oil rigs.
2004 Starcraft 10RT