Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 04-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Four Wheeler of the Year - 2011

Seems to me that the GX is an odd choice for a "four wheeler" contest. I think more people wheel RAV4's than GX's....

http://www.fourwheeler.com/roadtests...ear/index.html
Old 04-19-2011, 01:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Seems to me that the GX is an odd choice for a "four wheeler" contest. I think more people wheel RAV4's than GX's....

http://www.fourwheeler.com/roadtests...ear/index.html
Considering the GX is a 4Runner with an "L" on the grill I can see your surprise!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 04-19-2011, 01:24 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
I dunno about that, but I thought it was ironic that the 3rd place finisher (the Lexus) was the only one not to have broken down during the test. If there is any criteria that should outrank the others for an off highway vehicle it's probably reliability.

Agreed. Last picture was fitting as they were loading the Jeep on the Flatbed.

"Tractor in a Tux"

What Did the Five Fingers Say to the Face.....
Old 04-19-2011, 01:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Considering the GX is a 4Runner with an "L" on the grill I can see your surprise!
Minus the skid plates and rear locker option.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
I dunno about that, but I thought it was ironic that the 3rd place finisher (the Lexus) was the only one not to have broken down during the test. If there is any criteria that should outrank the others for an off highway vehicle it's probably reliability.
Agreed.

Quote:
After two days of intensive instrumented and other objective testing, we were challenging the vehicles to a different line on our Hill Climb when the Grand lost front-wheel drive. We immediately contacted Jeep, and within less than two hours, we were on a conference call with the engineering team in Michigan. After performing some diagnostic procedures over the phone, Jeep made arrangements to pick up our vehicle and replace it with a nearly exact replica.
By that evening we had our Jeep swapped, and by the next afternoon a team of Jeep engineers had flown out to Southern California to examine our transfer case. They discovered that during our aggressive hill testing, we jumped a tooth on the chain sprocket, ultimately leading to a sheared sprocket tooth and a broken chain.

After an engineering analysis, Jeep determined that the specification they use for chain tightness was good for NVH, but had the potential for failure under extreme conditions. As a direct response to our testing, Jeep instituted a change to every Grand Cherokee on the production line by tightening the chain tension specification, ensuring that the end user benefits from our findings and gets the best possible product.
How can the Jeep be the "winner" when it broke a chain in the Tcase?
Old 04-19-2011, 01:42 PM
Rising Sun Member

Reading the article, its obvious they are biased toward the Jeep, don't like the toyota, and the rover is just in the middle of the conversation..

As Dave mentioned, It is funny though that the Rover's compressor overheated and quit and the Jeep broke. Seems par for the course there...
82 FJ40
Old 04-19-2011, 02:19 PM
Hard Core 4+

Apparently "Trail Tested" means customer tested. They framed it as responsiveness and commitment to quality when it appears that was the first time it had actually been driven in off-highway conditions even approximating real world usage. Just Empty Every Pocket.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:05 PM
Trail Ready

Just another reason to not read things like that. I have to admit, the GX is a horrible choice if you want an apples to apples test. The 4Runner would have killed in this comparison...

Even though the 4Runner and GX share a platform, they are completely different when you think of how the vehicles are intended to be used. Programming of the traction control and other conveniences are probably way off. That along with shocks and spring rate differences alone would have made a huge difference. Just remember the GX was (kinda) recalled because of how the systems reacted to driving situations while the 4Runner never blinked.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:29 PM
Hard Core 4+

Now, now, don't be undermining UB's anti-mini-truck screed!! He NEEDS it doncha know! He just NEEDS it!
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:21 AM
Hard Core 4+

The simple fact that these are the vehicles that can even be lined up for fourwheeler of the year is pretty pathetic.