Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Cruise Moab > Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun

Old 04-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Rock Stacker

Default Brand New Rig, do we need to change/drop trails?

Some background before our questions. When we registered in January, we had an FJ Cruiser with sliders. Just two days ago, we traded it in on a Tacoma 4x4 Crew Cab. We went from a 105.9 wheelbase with an overall length of 183 to a whopping 127 in. wheelbase and length of 208.
Biggie? We will not be able to have any sliders installed before we leave for Moab.

We are novice wheelers looking forward to meeting you all, helping out and enjoying the scenery.

Understanding that sh** happens just driving down the boulevard, we'd still like to keep her looking as new as possible.

Oh, my questions, given the above info.:
1. Should we request a change to our trail assignments? Thurs:We requested Chicken Corners(no problem), Fri: Fins & Things, Sat: Sevenmile Rim.
2. If any of these runs are a problem for our stock truck, what alternatives do you suggest?

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Lifted

Check out my thread asking some similar quesitons:
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...ad.php?t=14911

Synopsis: Long wheelbase = need sliders, expect scraping the hitch on Fins & Things.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:40 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

You should be OK on Fins & Things. You can bypass Kenny's Climb at the end -- it may be hard to get on the slope w/o dragging your bumpers with all that length.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:59 AM
Rising Sun Member

IMO your biggest concern will be rocker panels and dragging your butt

Even lifted (2.5") I drug the ass end of the LX all over on Fins. I don't recall any concerns about the rockers on Fins but I have sliders. With your length though, you'll want to really watch them as the expense to fix the rockers will make the cost of sliders look cheap. If you have a hitch on the rear that "should" protect the rear although the bumper corners could see abuse.

I've never been on Sevenmile Rim

As for alternatives...Of the trails I've run, the only one I can think of that might be a good alternative is Hells Revenge. I don't recall any rocker panel concerns on that trail and I think the only big obstacle left (tip over challenge) that we can do during CM has a bypass. Porcupine might be another trail if you are careful, but that was the first trail I ever ran and the first one I hit my sliders on (driver error)

Trails I've run are Porcupine, Poison Spider, Fins, Hells, Metal Masher, Wipe Out Hill, and Tip Toe Behind the Rocks
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 04-14-2011, 12:00 PM
Rising Sun Member

I'll be leading 7 Mile Sat. We ran it recently on the pre-run. When we go to Uranium Arch there is a place I dragged my trailer hitch pretty good. We also have a few up/down steps. Mostly there are not a lot of obstacles. Let me think about this some more and maybe some Taco folks will chime in. Its a fun run so hopefully it still works for you.

Totally stock you say?
Old 04-14-2011, 12:49 PM
Rising Sun Member

I can't speak specifically about your rig and the trails you'll be on, but I can say that even driving my tall, short wheelbase 40, I've taken on body damage every year I've been to Moab, and I usually pick "easy" trails and drive conservatively. It's wheeling, and damage is part of the game I guess. If you can't lift and armor it, or you're going to be about body damage, I would reconsider. You can always come out and hitch rides with others on some of the more exciting trails.

'85 FJ60
Old 04-14-2011, 01:37 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default 2011 on 7 mile rim

I would venture that 7 mile is the most challenging trail on your list there. There are some good size steps near the beginning of the trail that might prove too close to your sills, but I'm not sure. Even though we just pre-ran a bunch of the trails including 7 mile Rim, after Easter Jeep Safari, the trails can change quite a bit! Some places are dug out more, some places are stacked high with rocks...

It would be tough to catch up to a group on an easier trail that you haven't already run. E-hill would technically have room for you, but they'll be hours ahead of you by the time you turn around on 7 mile rim. Frankly, I think the steps on e-hill are about the same size as the ones on 7 mile rim too.

Maybe you can work up a backup plan with someone in camp to go do some exploring together if 7 mile is a bit too big for your tastes? There are many trails in the same area as 7 mile rim that would prove fun with your 2011. 3D Jeep Trail is a soft surface roller coaster for example. If you have a ham radio and a map, you could keep tabs on the 7 mile rim crew and catch back up to them after they pass the Wipeout Hill obstacle.

If you choose to go exploring the area by yourself, be very careful. No one will know you are stuck, broken down, hurt, or lost out there!

Another bail out option would be to go explore the dirt roads, hiking and photographic opportunities in nearby Arches National Park.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:00 PM
Rock Stacker

Thanks for all your input. As a result of your comments and after speaking with RockRunner last night, I've posted a thread on Mud(http://forum.ih8mud.com/trails-event...ml#post6542397).
Old 04-15-2011, 12:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

I read the MUD Post. I was already going to recommend that I err on the side of caution and advise against 7 Mile for you. It is hard for me to recall all the tough spots after driving it in a lifted, locked and armored 80, but I suspect you would drag the tail and have to be super careful about the rockers.
Other fun drives include the Dubinky Sand Dunes, Gemini Bridges, back road into Arches, and one of the "bottom" roads to the River.
Any of the easy rated trails in the Charles Wells book would be fine. Chicken corners will be fine (and fun and scenic - I'm leading it Friday and just pre-ran it). I have explored a lot around Moab and happy to share what I know.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:19 PM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

I ran Fins & Things with Phil Simmons when he was in his bone-stock taco x-cab. Only issue was slight dragging of the underside of the rear bumper on some of the ledges. The only damage was some slight scratches to the chrome where you couldn't see it anyway. There were no spots whatsoever where he needed sliders. I have also led Chicken Corner a number of times. It is Subaru Grade. I can't speak to 7 mile as I haven't run it (It is a new trail this year), but if you have worries your trail leader can help spot you over difficult stuff. Over the years I have taken pride on spotting newbies in their bone stock rigs over stuff they didn't know they could do, with no damage to their rigs. You'd be surprised what a stock Toyota 4x4 can do!

Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/