Hood bonding Passenger

and Drivers
Attached Images

http://bestcamptable.com/
KD2KDK
Old 02-28-2011, 09:11 AM

Default Antenna bonding

First is the antenna bracket
then the outside of the strap, then the inside. Basicall bonding the bracket to the jerrycan holder.
Attached Images

KD2KDK
Old 02-28-2011, 09:16 AM

I honestly can't tell a different after all this work. If you have comments, please let me know if I should invest more time into it.

This weekend contacts were from small town from west Sweden, Central France, Florida and one more place I forget.

The real thrill is contacting from my car, while driving, doing errands. I will take that over any stationary setup. One more thrilling reason to be in my Landcruiser.

I should be getting today the 40M and 10M hamstick.

I have problem getting the scan to stop. It scan right by conversation. My RF gain is back on 100%. My squelch is at the noise level. So most of the scan is quite. It breaks on S3 which is what I want. However the scan does not seems to stop even on S9 signal. Need to call Kenwood.
KD2KDK
Old 02-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Hard Core 4+

You have the background noise squelched, which is similar to my Yeasus. So the way it works for me is that in FM or AM mode it stops and pauses. In SSB or CW, it just slows down.

That's because when the radio starts to cross an SSB signal that breaks open the squelch it may not be at the right carrier frequency, so it's giving you time to click the scan stop (PTT on my radio) and center the frequency (which is adjusting YOUR radio's BFO). Remember that FM and AM are set bandwidths with a transmitted carrier, whereas on SSB your radio is re-installing the carrier (remember SSBSC?) and so it has no idea when to stop. You do that with your ear.

FWIW, doing this automatically can be done, but it's a higher level of sophistication to the carrier recovery than is usual in ham radios and starts to become far more difficult when dealing with speech of so many different people, especially so when dealing with interference, static, etc. Turns out that what your ear and brain are awesome at doing (detecting minimum levels of comprehension) takes pretty dang powerful DSP. DSP works a lot better (e.g faster and needing less processing capability) on deterministic and periodic signals, neither of which the human voice really does.

You say after bonding you can't a tell a difference. When I bonded my exhaust in particular it made a huge difference in ignition noise. I still have a lot of alternator whine, but I haven't done much to alleviate it. It could be that your installation location is very good and so was immune to vehicle generated QRM inherently.

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 02-28-2011, 10:02 AM

I can control the speed of the scan. So I set it on slower.
yes, I can stop the scan with PTT and tune better with UP/DOWN on the microphone.
The scan start automatically after 5 seconds if I don't use the PTT or the UP/DOWN keys.

I can do all that while driving and not looking at the radio. The way it works now for me is that the scan find something and then I tune it better. Alas, then I have to look down and click off the scan. This is a problem. I can't stop and start the scan function from the microphone that came with the radio. Alas, money can solve a lot of things.

I ordered the Kenwood MC-47 microphone that has four programmable buttons. And you guessed it, one of the buttons can be programmed to start and stop the scan. So I should be able while driving and looking the road to: scan, tune, stop scan, and restart the scan and PTT. Amazing.

I don't have alternator whine. Thanks God.
I have pulsating noise that the NB is pretty much taking care of. However, I might install RF shields on the power cables to see if it can do anything.

I am not considering this project complete until I talk to you guys on the 20, 40 or 10.... while driving!!!!
KD2KDK
Old 02-28-2011, 10:07 AM
Hard Core 4+

Your experience on tuning SSB is pretty much why I don't much bother finding all the sources of EMI in my truck. I am not talented enough to work the radio and drive. I'm barely competent at driving as it is... So I most do channelized modes and bands, sometimes I'll listen for 2m SSB activity, but that just means leaving the radio at 144.200. I do 2m because the antenna is on the roof and is MUCH quieter. :-)

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 02-28-2011, 11:14 AM

I meant I am driving while you on the stationary QTH.
Not going to happen with two mobile setups.
KD2KDK
Old 02-28-2011, 05:25 PM
Lifted

Just a thought based on your pictures. There is some rust and looks like powder coated or painted brackets. Are you sure you are getting good connections and they will stay good?

Funny, I was just up in Albany this past week. I flew in there anyway, meetings in Kingston.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
Old 02-28-2011, 09:01 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

I would 2nd that idea of making sure you get metal contact. Just throwing a piece of bonding on painted parts will not effectively do anything, except maybe keep the bonded part from falling off the vehicle.

I had my 857 mounted near the center console. I could easily rest my arm on the top of the center console and tune around. It was comfortable. But I have had lots of experience listening with my father at home when I was younger. I have listened to poor radios with poor antennas and great radios with great antennas and also awesome radios with awesome antennas. I must say, with a beam antenna at 100' pointed anywhere with a well tuned radio and 1500W PEP AMP on your side, it is a nice warm feeling. You only get that with a less equipped station when you make that QSO that should not have been made. A 5-9+20 signal report from Spain at 4:30 in the afternoon traveling through Denver rush hour traffic gets me that warm feeling. Especially barefoot mobile.

Keep trying.