Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-26-2011, 12:02 PM
Lifted

Send a message via AIM to ianacole Send a message via MSN to ianacole Send a message via Yahoo to ianacole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
The setup I described above will do that VERY nicely. The howl from four locked 35" MT/Rs definitely has an instructive effect on errant compact car drivers. ;-)
Was that setup pretty close to bolt-on? How squirmy is your truck under braking?
Old 04-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianacole View Post
Was that setup pretty close to bolt-on? How squirmy is your truck under braking?
The fronts and MC etc. were bolt on. So were the rears but they required green lube ($$$$$) . The truck is very stable. Mind you, I have a longer wheelbase which helps.

Springs and bushings would become more important I think, with both 'go' and 'stop going' enhancements.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:24 PM
Lifted

Send a message via AIM to ianacole Send a message via MSN to ianacole Send a message via Yahoo to ianacole

Interesting...Advance Auto Parts show the same part number for the calipers whether I pick the '89 4runner 3.0 or 22REC motors.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:29 PM
Hard Core 4+

They probably picked one in the interest of inventory... gopher it!
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

Why are you trying to upgrade what you already have? Does it not stop good or what? Just curious.

Changing out brakes on a 40 can be a slippery slope. Going to the mini truck disc setup you already have is an easy conversion and works well. If you decide to go with rear discs there are a lot of bolt on kits out there but then you start to run into proportioning issues. I have the Monte Carlo rear discs and even if I run 2 proportioning valves in series, I cannot get the front brakes to lock up before the rears do unless the pressure is so restricted the front just don't work well.

There is also a kit that allows you to upgrade your front brakes using late model Tacoma rotors and calipers, that will give you a lot more clamping force than the 4Runner upgrade. I will probably go to that setup and use a T100 disk front/drum rear master cylinder. There is bias built in to that MC so it moves less volume to the rear brakes, hopefully that will help the fronts lock before the rears.

As far as residual valves you should run a 2 lb unit on disc brakes and a 8 to 10 lb unit on drum brakes.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 04-27-2011, 03:13 PM
Lifted

Randy,

I am not stopping well. There were a number of times on descents at Chinaman Gulch that I felt the need to pull the parking brake and put it in park to feel confident that it wouldn't move.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post

There is also a kit that allows you to upgrade your front brakes using late model Tacoma rotors and calipers,
got a link this is interesting...
82 FJ40
Old 04-27-2011, 04:11 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
got a link this is interesting...
Go to the Front Range Off-Road website and click on the link from Brakes. Their kit is $99, you also need to supply Tacoma rotors, calipers and a set of IFS wheel hubs. They also have an upgrade to even larger rotors/calipers and their kit is $129 because of the larger brackets required. You have to ask for it as it isn't shown on their web site yet.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianacole View Post
Randy,

I am not stopping well. There were a number of times on descents at Chinaman Gulch that I felt the need to pull the parking brake and put it in park to feel confident that it wouldn't move.
So that isn't right. Even the orignal stock 4 wheel drum brakes will put you through the windshield when they are working correctly.

As I recall you have a V8 and automatic, correct? Keep in mind when in lo range, especially if you have deep gears and you're idling a little too fast, the vehicle will want to "drive through the brakes". That may be part of what you're feeling. How does it stop when driving on the pavement at higher speeds?

Lets make sure what you have is working right before you start spending the bucks un upgrades that may not be required.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Lifted

The stopping on highway is my bigger concern. I give a lot of room to stop as it sometimes feels I won't stop in a reasonable distance. A pad replacement should help with this, but I figured if I can find a better stopping solution at a reasonable price and amount of effort it would be a worthy upgrade.