Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-01-2011, 08:40 PM
Lifted

Angry Coarse Brakes Broke

I've been working on brakes since I got the truck. Took the rears apart and decided that both the rear/rear cylinders needed replaced. Got some new ones from Cruiser Outfitters and was installing them today.

I rebuilt the others at the same time, and then got to reinstalling cylinders. The rebuilt ones went on without a hitch, but the new ones were interesting. One of them had a bleeder screw in it. I figured I could pull it out of the rear and install a nice shiny bleeder screw in the front/rear.

I tried to put the bleeder in and it was coarse thread . Everything in the old cylinders was fine thread .

Did I get the wrong cylinder? Should I send it back, or am I stuck bending up a new brake line to jump from the rear to the front? Any thoughts?
Old 05-02-2011, 09:46 AM
Hard Core 4+

odds are its the right cylinder, an they had to retap the bleeder. compare the old and new cylinder side by side. do they look the same ? same length diameter, exc exc.. if so there the same just taped larger thread
Old 05-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Hard Core 4+

I've seen coarse and fine pitch metric bleeders on the shelf at auto zone and checkers and stuff. could be an easy part to find.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Hi Horse Thief, what year and model is your truck?
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 05-02-2011, 04:43 PM
Lifted

Default Year

It's a '73 FJ-40.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:55 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMZTOY View Post
odds are its the right cylinder, an they had to retap the bleeder. compare the old and new cylinder side by side. do they look the same ? same length diameter, exc exc.. if so there the same just taped larger thread
The cylinder in question is the driver's side rear/rear. That cylinder doesn't get a bleeder. The rear port is for the supply line and the front port jumpers to the rear port of the rear/front cylinder (which gets a bleeder). I've got Kurt looking into what he sent me, but it wasn't the correct cylinder. I think it was actually a replacement driver's rear/front.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:06 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Thanks Horse Thief, that is helpful. All stock wheel cylinders on 1973 40 and 50 series have their own bleeder port. If it does not have one, then it is not stock. Bleeding the 4 wheel drum system gives some people fits, but once it is done properly, the stock all-drum system can easily put your nose on the windshield. 2 of my 4 Land Cruisers are all-drum, and the other 2 have drums in the rear. Each and every slave cylinder has it's own bleed port.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 05-02-2011, 09:25 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
All stock wheel cylinders on 1973 40 and 50 series have their own bleeder port. If it does not have one, then it is not stock.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you've wrote there, but I am fairly certain that for the rear drums in a '73 cruiser, the supply tees at the middle of the axle and feeds the rearmost wheel cylinders. This cylinder is then jumpered to supply the other cylinder in that wheel. Therefore, the rearmost wheel cylinder would not have a bleeder port. The picture of the wheel cylinders on CCOT's website shows this very clearly.

The part I got from Cruiser Outfitters was not correct. I was hoping to make it work. It is the correct size and orientation, but with threads for a coarse bleeder screw my existing piece of brake line used to jumper to the other cylinder will not work.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:44 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default LandCruiser drum brakes

Each of the eight wheel cylinders on my stock, four wheel drum brake, 1968 Fj-40 LandCruiser has it's own bleeder nipple.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Lifted

They changed in '71 from what I can tell.