Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 09-30-2014, 09:06 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Tacoma recall

Leaf springs that can break and pierce the gas tank.... Yet another corrosion issue, although not nearly as severe as the frame rot from the 1st gen Tacomas.

This is 2005-2011 trucks.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/09/29/t...ngs-fire-risk/
Old 12-31-2014, 06:51 AM
Hard Core 4+

The NHTSA info:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...rgetCategory=R

"Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. Nobody is able to achieve this completely, but the striving for such achievement is in itself a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security. " --Albert Einstein
Old 01-02-2015, 08:28 AM
Hard Core 4+

Bummer. Is it even worth considering a Tacoma here in the rust belt?

'85 FJ60
'91 Pickup
Old 05-25-2016, 06:42 AM
Hard Core 4+

I was up at Pedersen yesterday afternoon, picking my truck up after doing this TSB rear spring recall inspection. I'll be getting new rear springs eventually but Toyota is backordered by a month on spring packs due to the volume apparently. There were two Tacomas in front of me for leaf spring inspections and a couple after.

And it was interesting, they were getting two new 2nd gen frames for the supposed frame rot that doesn't exist.

Name:  IMG_0630_mid.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  144.4 KB

"Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. Nobody is able to achieve this completely, but the striving for such achievement is in itself a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security. " --Albert Einstein
Old 05-25-2016, 08:44 AM
Rising Sun Member

'98 is a third gen right? Did those have issues?
82 FJ40
Old 05-25-2016, 08:51 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
'98 is a third gen right? Did those have issues?
1st gen Tacoma (1995 to 2004). They were under a recall for frame replacements. These have a very serious potential for rot. Part of the reason was no one knew to look for it and some got so bad as to actually break in half. At the time (and the recall is still open AFAIK) affected 1995 to 2000 trucks were bought back by Toyota and destroyed while 2001-2004 were eligible for new frames. This was a 15 year warranty, so a 1998 would no longer be covered after 2013.

The 3rd gen is 1989-1995 Pickups. These were domestic derivatives of the Hilux. After roughly 1992 they were made in the Fremont plant, same as made the Tacoma. They don't have quite the serious rot issue that Tacomas seem to, although they are not immune to typical rusting out. The Pickup/Hilux frames are pretty overbuilt and the quality seems to be better.

For some reason the combination of wall thickness, geometry, paint and anti-corrosion coatings are Tacoma make them prone to terrible rot. Currently the 2005 to 2009 2nd gen Tacomas are covered under a frame recall, however the inspect-by date is already passed. The ones that were brought in for inspection are either marked as done (with a corrosion warranty I think) or they are currently getting replaced (such as Taco Dane's). Mine wasn't bad enough to justify replacement so I've been aggressive in treating rust.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:32 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Marco,
The 98 4-runner is a 3rd gen runner but a 98 taco is a first gen taco.

The first gen Taco was assembled in CA with frames from Dana in Mexico. The 3rd gen 4-runner was built in Japan and imported so you don't have nearly the same concerns on a runner as you would on a Tacoma.
Andy | Longmont | TLCA#22354
Follow CRUISE MOAB on Facebook
-1999 UZJ100 -Black, Ever Evolving, now with SLEE SHOCKS!!
-2001 Tacoma 2.7L Reg Cab 4x4 -Silver,my DD/all purpose truck, mild build so far.

-Kilo-Delta-Zero-Tango-Quebec-Tango-
Old 05-25-2016, 09:51 AM
Rising Sun Member

ahhhh yes, I forgot to mention the vehicle I am asking in reference to was a 98' 4runner. I assumed they were practically the same underneath! oops!
82 FJ40
Old 05-25-2016, 11:33 AM
Hard Core 4+

The 3rd gen 4-runner was built in Japan and imported so you don't have nearly the same concerns on a runner as you would on a Tacoma.

Not in Colo., but I have seen east-coast '98 4Runners with Swiss-cheese frames for sale in Colorado. I was astounded at how bad the rust was - 12" sections of the bottom of the frame missing, ahead of the rear spring hanger.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:21 PM
Hard Core 4+

The location Steve refers has been an issue on Pickups and 4Runners forever. It's the section of frame that transitions up from the long under-cab length to the rear section over the axle. Since the Hilux frames are fully boxed they tend to pack in with mud and rot. This was part of the problem with 1st gen Tacoma frames, too, since the frame was boxed there still.

The current Taco frame is open-C most of the way to allow muck to clear. So the rot is different. It seems to be most often found under the driver's A-pillar region and may have to do with how close the catalytic converter is to the frame. It cooks the coating off I guess.

You really want to stay on top of it regardless the model or county of origin. Even the Japanese trucks use thinner steel in the frames than they used to.