Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 05-09-2016, 09:48 PM
Lifted

Default Cruise Moab Damage Report

Had a great time on my first Cruise Moab! This event lived up to all its hype. I already can't wait to sign up for next years event.

Now it's time for post trip inspections. Anyone come up with any unexpected or unnoticed damage?
My nerf bars just didn't hold up, cheap s**t

Name:  IMAG1349.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  98.3 KB
Lol no really I'm glad they were on the truck when I bought it. Got under the rig today and was amazed to find just a couple tiny scratches on cross members and the scrapes/dents in the underside of my nerf bars.

I know Adam had to do a camp fix on his leaf spring. Who else had some issues there or found some when they got home?
Old 05-09-2016, 11:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

I will try to get pics tomorrow.

But I will leave you with this: a bic pen is NOT compatible with diesel fuel.

Dan
Old 05-10-2016, 06:23 AM
Rising Sun Member

Steve and I opted out of a Friday run so we could do something mountain biking... When we got back we both did a check over to see what we needed to tighten/adjust/fix. I found 3 discontinuous cracks in my front leaf spring near the shackle (Stressed zone)

Marlin graciously offered his premiere on-board welder so I could stitch the spring back together. We found that the cracks were old, and had rust. I cant believe it held together on Golden Spike the day before. I used a cutting wheel to grind out the cracks to clean up the rust. It welded really nicely, and completely sold me on picking up a premiere some day. Marlin really came through and gave me everything I needed, even a scrap piece of steel to practice on before going straight to the spring. I stick welded a bunch back in High School, so I picked it up again easily and the weld turned out great. A a couple welds across the width of the cracks, then 3 stitch welds lengthwise on the spring about 3 inches long. Marlin gave his seal of approval and I was off. I ran Kane Creek the next day, and drove home on Sunday with no issues. Take away point after all of that.....I nearly burned down all the cabins grinding the back side of the weld down. That cotton goes up quick. Sorry guys! Thanks for everybody that came over with fire extinguishers. It was quickly put out with no damage.

Steve broke a sway bar on Kane Creek which took out the passenger front brake hard line. I had a 4" section of brake line in my kit, so we bent it up, installed, bled the brakes and we were off again. Bring extra brake hard line! This is the 4th cruiser I have seen that needed brake line repair on the trail.
77 VW Beetle
86 XR600 Stretched. Lowered. Hardtailed

Long live the carburetor!
Old 05-10-2016, 10:31 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprosise View Post
Marlin graciously offered his premiere on-board welder so I could stitch the spring back together.
Marlin welded a main spring for Imelda on the Rubithon in 2008. I had sheared the whole pack at the spring pad and was riding on the overload. The local parts network (Marlin, Yotaman, etc.) came through with extra packs but since they were all for 2nd gen trucks the main was not long enough, which is why it had to be repaired. Used random leafs from the other packs to build out the pack. That repair made it out of Rubicon Springs, out of Tahoe, back to Denver and another week after that around town until the OME replacements got to Slee's.

"Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. Nobody is able to achieve this completely, but the striving for such achievement is in itself a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security. " --Albert Einstein
Old 05-10-2016, 06:15 PM
Wincher

Snapped my traction bar on the last hill on the last day. Sounded like a gun shot, swore I broke a drive shaft or something but my spotter said my leaf spring just hit a rock. I didn't hear any crunching so I finished the trail. Saw it when I got home.
Attached Images

Last edited by White Stripe; 05-10-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:22 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Stripe View Post
Snapped my traction bar on the last hill on the last day. Sounded like a gun shot, swore I broke a drive shaft or something but my spotter said my leaf spring just hit a rock.
That's why I don't trust spotters anymore in that aspect. Loud noise on his side so I had him check my chain, that he had put on. Kept telling me to go for it regardless the sound. Ended up with a jacked up ball joint and the chain got pinched between the steering arm and tire.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

hit a rock that sheared the bolt head off my rear sway bar bracket on the drivers side...and it bent the bracket back to the sway bar was loose...
* 76 Piggie
* 97 4Runner (The original Green Chile)
* 71 FJ40 "The Raven" - sigh, selling to make room
* 64 FJ40 "Ocho Mater 40" AGAIN
* 74&70 FJ40 - parting out, eventually
* 1965 International Metro Van

has a 2008 FJC

KDěTIM
Old 05-11-2016, 05:42 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDane View Post
That's why I don't trust spotters anymore in that aspect. Loud noise on his side so I had him check my chain, that he had put on. Kept telling me to go for it regardless the sound. Ended up with a jacked up ball joint and the chain got pinched between the steering arm and tire.
chain? was there a snow run in the La Sals?

05 525EXC, 01 XT225, 09 TTR125, 07 TTR90, 07 CRF50

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-11-2016, 05:28 PM
Rising Sun Member

My issue on the hells revenge night run turned out to not be an issue at all. All though I'm glad I turned around not knowing at the time. Marlin diagnosed it as a slow/slight oil leak from the fuel pump atmospheric diaphragm weep hole. I guess what happened was on my drive to Moab it leaked onto the rock guard and when descending the steep slick rock it all dumped at once making it look far far worse than it was. I was able to drive the rest of the trip without issue.

My dads 40 wasn't so lucky...
Via Marlins diagnosis and help he thinks it was the oil pump that failed which lead to the engine seizing.

A huge THANK YOU to Christo Slee and the entire crew for helping him get his truck back to the front range!

Thank you all who helped large or small! We are grateful to be part of such a fantastic group of people.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/what...-to-do.651141/
Old 05-15-2016, 05:17 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Marlin welded a main spring for Imelda on the Rubithon in 2008. I had sheared the whole pack at the spring pad and was riding on the overload. The local parts network (Marlin, Yotaman, etc.) came through with extra packs but since they were all for 2nd gen trucks the main was not long enough, which is why it had to be repaired. Used random leafs from the other packs to build out the pack. That repair made it out of Rubicon Springs, out of Tahoe, back to Denver and another week after that around town until the OME replacements got to Slee's.
I have two pics that I love sharing here on the forum. This is one of Dave after his ordeal of limping into Rubicon Springs with a broken spring pack, running around camp trying to source a replacement and not finding one, getting his broken spring welded and, finally, getting the repaired spring reattached to his truck. It was not an easy time Dave and the pic proves it:
The second pic is of our fearless leader, Cheeseman, from a pre-Toyota lifetime experience:
Attached Images