Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > For Sale + Help > Rising Sun Forum Help Corner

Notices

Old 06-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Default New Posts

There's a lot of stuff here on the forums. I have relied on the bolding of thread titles to see what I haven't read yet, along with email reminders for threads I have posted on, and the "New Posts" link along the top nav bar. Increasingly, I am finding that the former and latter aren't working as I'm used to. I find new threads or threads that have been added to which aren't bolded, and finding the "New Posts" list does not contain posts I haven't read. This did not use to be the case; perhaps the new version of vBulletin works differently than the one that was operating prior to the update? Or perhaps it is a configuration difference?

For example, in the past, if there was a thread that had one or more posts I had not yet read, the title would stay bolded until I visited and read the page which contained the new post(s). Now, it appears that if I have visited the forum at all, it is no longer bolded, whether I've read the page containing the new posts or not. Same thing for the "New Posts" link.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 06-08-2006, 05:59 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I think there is a cut-off date for threads with new posts to be displayed. If you don't visit every few days, it may show you only the newest threads.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk
I think there is a cut-off date for threads with new posts to be displayed. If you don't visit every few days, it may show you only the newest threads.
Yes, that's the way it used to work. In this instance, I had visited briefly to answer a post, then left to do something else and came back an hour or so later and threads which had been bolded no longer were, even though I had not read them yet. And the threads in question were less than a day old since I had last checked them. In addition, I tried the New Posts link and it only gave me one post, even though there were many unread posts which were less than a day old.

It's as if each time you visit, the new version/install/configuration of vBulletin software assumes you read everything new and clears out any indication of a thread containing unread posts, whether you read it or not.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:37 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

I'll look into it.
TLCA#4180
Old 06-08-2006, 11:01 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Thanks Wes. If it's too much trouble, I'll just deal with it. It's just definitely different than before the install of the new version of vBulletin, and if it's as simple as changing a setting in the configuration it would be much appreciated.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:26 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

no.. there is another issue that i believe is admin related that I can't figure out either.
TLCA#4180