Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 03-29-2011, 08:45 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Losing 420-440 MHz?

http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/...tm?csp=usat.me

Why would they change all this up? Seems like it'd be a humongous pain to reprogram radios for emergency folks.
82 FJ40
Old 03-29-2011, 08:59 AM
Hard Core 4+

ARRL's page about it.

http://www.arrl.org/hr-607

The intention is to create essentially a nationwide emergency WiFi. Seems to me to be redundant because most established public safety already have data services and so why would they want to add another network? They are already moving to standardize on spectrum in the 800MHz band anyway.

BTW, it's not just hams who are worried, there is 700MHz spectrum being reallocated. It's moving some VHF public service up to UHF.

http://www.rrmediagroup.com/newsArti...m?news_id=6814

Be sure to write your Congressman to oppose it. Not that it will matter, the spectrum is too valuable in auction to allow us to keep using for 'free'.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 03-30-2011, 12:02 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Be sure to write your Congressman to oppose it.
I'm game. Got a letter template I can start with?
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:00 AM
Hard Core 4+

Dear Rep. DeGette,

I write to you this morning to ask that you vote NO on HR 607. I am particularly concerned that this bill reallocates very important frequency spectrum from the Amateur Radio Service bands. As an avid ham radio enthusiast, I find this unacceptable.

In Colorado, we use these frequencies for many purposes beyond simple two-way conversation. The impacted frequencies are very widely used for communications in remote backcountry areas and by ham clubs assisting with communications during large events such as the MS150 and other organized bicycle events, marathons and the like. These frequencies are heavily used as part of the volunteer amateur radio emergency services called ARES and RACES. This reallocation also impacts the frequencies used by amateur television that have no alternative spectrum elsewhere.

Ham radio is a hobby with long traditions of cooperation, inclusiveness and education in important communication and technical skills that we as a society must encourage. So I urge you to please vote NO on HR 607.

Regards,
Name
Address
Call Sign

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 03-30-2011, 06:02 AM
Hard Core 4+

BTW, these spectrum grabs are exactly why people encourage you to think beyond being 2m appliance operators. There's lots more to the hobby than just channelized 2m FM and if we don't use it, we lose it! It's also why I personally try and discourage less than upstanding use (unlicensed ops, freebanding, etc.), those things reduce our political leverage.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:05 PM
Lifted

Thanks for the template, my son and I will both send letters.

To me this is analogous to trail closures.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by CO Hunter; 03-30-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I emailed Mike Coffman here in the 6th District.

Dave, thanks for the letter template. I changed it only a little bit.

Quote:
Dr. Congressman Coffman,

I am writing to you this evening to ask that you vote NO on HR 607. I am particularly concerned that this bill reallocates very important frequency spectrum from the Amateur Radio Service bands. As an avid ham radio enthusiast, I find this to be a terrible idea.

In Colorado, we use these frequencies for many purposes beyond simple two-way conversation. The impacted frequencies are very widely used for communications in remote backcountry areas and by ham clubs assisting with communications during large events such as the MS150 and other organized bicycle events, marathons and the like. These frequencies are heavily used as part of the volunteer amateur radio emergency services called ARES and RACES. This reallocation also impacts the frequencies used by amateur television that have no alternative spectrum elsewhere.

Ham radio is a hobby with long traditions of cooperation, inclusiveness and education in important communication and technical skills that we as a society must encourage. Amateur radio operators are granted small slivers of bandwidth, but we use them frequently, actively and for the good of society. I urge you to please vote NO on HR 607.

Best Regards,
Matt Farr
WRDY
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Trail Ready

Default Possible loss of 70cm band

Go to: http://www.arrl.org/sample-letters where you will find background information on H.R. 607, a sample letter, and instructions on how to submit your letter. Don't mail a letter to your representative. Due to security measures in place on Capitol Hill, it takes them many months to get our letters and even more time to reply. H.R. 607 requires the auctioning of 65% of the 70cm band to business users within 10 years of passage

1991 FJ80 converted to an HDT with an A442, Safari intercooler, 3" exhaust, factory Toyota subtank, 3" lift, 285's, Warn 9500xi, rear drawer system, 42qt Engel fridge. This rig is currently for sale
Old 04-11-2011, 10:55 PM
Hard Core 4+

The FCC is also assisting in a spectrum arbitrage play facilitated by some NY financiers via a company called LightSquared. If they are successful they will screw GPS in and around urban areas. Check this out:
http://www.saveourgps.org/
Old 04-12-2011, 06:29 AM
Hard Core 4+

The LightSquared mess is partially due to a change the FCC made to allow ground augmentation for satellite services (note that XM-Sirius also heavily utilize this rule change). LightSquared is using it to put in a nation-wide mobile broadband service in the L band, 1525-1559 MHz. GPS L1 sits at 1575MHz.

The problem lies in the receivers, in particular commercial and consumer GPS receivers will not be able to tolerate the interference and will end up with overloaded front ends. The military units might be OK due to their anti-jamming tolerance (this is more or less broadcast jamming) and future consumer designs might be able to tolerate it (at greater cost). Both are presumptions though, filtering might end up not being practical.

To put some numbers to it, a terrestrial GPS receiver at sea level sees about a -160dBW signal, which is below S1 on a typical HF radio and almost at the receiver noise figure of even the best HF radios (this is the incident, natural noise of the electronics of your radio with the RX antenna grounded). The LightSquared terrestrial stations will be I understand as much as 15kW, which if true would represent somewhere around +40dBW in the near field. Your radio at S9 is -105dBW, so that would be called 'S9+145dB'. Not only will it kill any reception, it's probably going to just blow the receivers out. Another analogy, your GPS signal is like trying to see a LED flashlight next to a Coors Field flood light.

It's really LightSquared's problem as they are going to be spattering and are the interfering party. But with tacit FCC approval. It's not that the spectrum must be shared, it's that the ground stations are going to essentially be GPS black holes and are being pursued even though the FCC technical office and most of the industry knows this will likely end up in problems.

Also realize that this is primarily going to be a problem only close to the ground stations, of course LightSquared is planning 40,000 of them. None-the-less, if you're a few miles away it should not be a major consumer problem. The ones of concern would be permanent or semi-permanent ones located close, such as the FAA WAAS systems for example.

http://www.gpsworld.com/gnss-system/...grinding-11472

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/jsp_i...p26-307552.xml

http://www.gpsworld.com/gnss-system/...orttofcc-11473

http://www.gpsworld.com/gnss-system/...adcaster-11029