Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 05-18-2011, 10:37 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default e hill folks in the know

a friend is going to moab with a group this summer and they'll be running elephant hill. he's looking for interesting things to point out. i've never done the trail. i'll be sending him the pages from the wells book, but are there other things to check out while on e hill that aren't in the wells book?
ige tlca #1431
Old 05-18-2011, 11:31 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

I'll look at my wells book at home but the highlights are the pictographs, joint trail hike, and the confluence overlook. The only thing I don't think is in the wells book are the fossil worms on the way out in the dry wash. This year I didn't see as many as I remembered but I think there is more sand in the wash right now.

now if they can see the elephants in the rock that the hill was named after he's doin well.
TLCA#4180
Old 05-18-2011, 12:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

That's about right outside of what is actually on the trail (Silver Stairs, etc.): The Joint is an incredible hiking trail, the pictographs heading out that way are really cool and well preserved, The Confluence is not to be missed (you won't find that at the Grand Canyon), and the fossils in the wash although I heard the best one was destroyed by somebody driving off trail and turning it into rock rash (we couldn't find it last year)

The short Pothole hiking trail near the visitor center in Needles is really cool if it has been raining. Small briny shrimp and other creatures come out from dormancy to swim when the potholes are full - leftovers I guess from the ancient inland ocean that used to cover the region. Very cool if you have kids with you who are the right age to love that kind of stuff.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

Depending on how they enter E-hill, there is a ranger station, super fun to check out and they can pick up a map and ask what to do..

But the already mentioned are great. Devil's kitchen is super cool camping, hiking trails leave and convene at devil's Kitchen. Also there is a great hike at the far end of the loop on both ends.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 05-18-2011, 04:25 PM
Hard Core 4+

ol'40dog pointed out the snake fossils for me this year. they are at the last stream bed crossing. Walk upstream about 15 meters. There are some blobs of gray, flat rocks that are covered with fossils and look really good.

Check out devil's kitchen lunch spot for tiny glyphs. Kids will usually find them first. That's a hint at the angle to look for them. Not as clear as the ones at SOB hill, but cool to point out.