Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-19-2011, 08:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay View Post
The KM2 sounds like quite the outlier as a hardcore rock crawling tire.

I like the new Hankook for a well priced AT. If you are really serious about an aggressive tire but aren't rock crawling, then are you after snow performance or something else?
I was the happiest with the KM2's when I found a friend in South Dakota to give them to! Great on dry rocks....balance great....treadlife not bad........worse tire I have ever owned for snow/ice safety and they couldn't climb out of a muddy rut if they....(add your own profanity here).....loud as heck on the highway early on. Your results may vary.....
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 05-19-2011, 09:54 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
Nitto Terra Grapplers. 295/75r16 will fit if you want to max out your size.

Best all around value in my opinion. Does good in most conditions. Snow, HWY, trail. Still got 16MPG on the HWY with them.

picture for whats it worth. This is with stock springs. Only pic I could find without my ARB front bumper.
I am also using the Nitto Terra Grapplers. They have been a great tire for all kinds of offroading, and are good in the snow.. I have noticed they tend to wear faster than i expected, but are great. I prefer the 8 ply to the 10 ply that is available... got a good deal on them at Discount tire....
KD0EXO
Old 05-20-2011, 06:01 AM
Lifted

I have had the Duratracs for a couple months now. They are great in snow and ice compared to the KM2's on my FJ60 previously. Road noise is minimal and they handle well. No reports yet on how they do on a lot of rocks.

I got mine from Discount. At first I balked at the tire replacement. So they offered me the warranties for half price, so for $40 I got the free replacement certs for all 4 tires.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:50 AM
Hard Core 4+

The duratrac's on my 80 have done very well on the snow and Ice I have had. They currently are the winter tire on the other 4 runners that are in the family. This moab season, I was impressed with the grip and hold I had on the rocks and loose rocks I incountered. They are quite and balanced well. I have heard they have a thin side wall, but they have held up on the heavy 80 I well(e-rated not d). I did contact Goodyear about having a 12.5 by 37 in this tire, if more people want that size, we need to ask. I believe the tread pattern for a AT is one of the best, It does pull well through the snow and mud, but has a great center section for dirt roads and the pavement.
I like this tire more than I have like any AT in a long time. Only time will tell about the side wall.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:00 AM
Hard Core 4+

I have a set of DuraTrac's I use for the winter only. I agree with everything Robbie has to say about the the tire. It would be my #1 recommendation too for the best all around tire, but I can not get over how thin the side walls are. Even my tire guys commented on them when I had them mounted.

Tires are probably the largest compromise anyone has to make on their truck. Especially if you run the same tire year round. The main reason I went to seasonal sets of tires.

Something else to consider are the Dick Cepek FCII's for a year round tire.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 05-20-2011, 09:09 AM
Hard Core 4+

I have run a set of big O mt's on my truck for a few years(really a tame MT, more a AT). It is made on the good year periminum carcuss for LT. If it is the same carcuss, thin side wall. it held up on the rubicon with a very heavy truck, has done well for camping, and long road trips. That tire and this tires side walls are very similar in thickness. I have not had a issue with the thickness of that tire, but did worry in the begining. May be it is my driving style or luck. But good year has been good to me. Again then the old Good year 3 ply MTR(first gen), I tore up 3 side walls in one summer. So go figure.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:28 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
I doubt I'll take it that often where it's really designed to play.
Never say never . Once you put sliders on your rig and start hanging around with this group you will get drawn in to going on trail runs. Then you'll see how well the 80's do on some big obstacles and start thinking "hey, my truck could do that too"................

What about the GY Kevlar MTR's? No side wall issues, they're supposed to be really good on hwy & in mud & snow, pretty sticky offroad too. I saw them in action on the Rubicon and was impressed with their offroading traction. If they are as good as they say on pavement they are probably one of the best all around.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 05-20-2011, 12:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

This could be a good deal for you both. http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...ad.php?t=15644
Old 05-20-2011, 02:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderpig View Post
I did contact Goodyear about having a 12.5 by 37 in this tire, if more people want that size, we need to ask.
How did you contact them? I'll follow up, too.

I think the big gap in the market currently are the "all purpose oriented MT's" in 37" sizes. One reason I love trxus is that they retain great road performance in the big size, but one always has to be honest about aging Interco tires.

I'd love to see the Duratrac in a 37. A lighter weight MT/AT combo is in many ways a great compromise and most of us, including me, aren't as hardcore as we'd like to think. I still have a new set of Trxus to get through, but long term we need better options from the major rubber companies.