Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 05-25-2011, 05:22 PM
Hard Core 4+

read the code. it's from street height! never really enforced, but yeah, I got nailed. (no pun intended)

john (johnny) henley
Old 05-25-2011, 09:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

The rules are easy, the city inspectors great, permits no big deal and little expense (unless you need to close the sidewalk because then you have to do the entire block, you pay per foot and per day and you have to rent signage). I have an engineer for you and suggest you consider some laborers and shovels. Otherwise, a small trackhoe rather than bobcat since the bobcat won't get you 36" deep (and the bucket will not allow you to "dump beyond the dig" and you will have to haul it away anyway, no?). For the extra foot of depth you will have a much more stable wall. If you can wait a bit and spend time planning, I'm sure I can help you save $$ (remember that I have built houses in Denver), but I am about to go away for two weeks and can't do much of anything till after.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:25 PM
Hard Core 4+

36" is correct and do keep the height in mind of the fence. Do you live in Denver or another county? Best thing to do is to go to the permit office and show them your drawings, they can save you money and time. If you can wait ask Daniel for his "helper " folks, it will save your back and marriage.

It sounds like you got your stuff figured out pretty well ow just the permit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 05-25-2011, 11:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
FWIW, if you (or anyone) need engineering or architecture help both Kirsten and I are licensed professional engineers (she's a civil/structural, I'm electrical) in Colorado. Her most recent few years of experience during and after architecture school is primarily residential in Denver but before going back for her masters she did engineering on commercial buildings, transportation, etc. She worked on lots of the retaining walls along I-25 in Denver and the Springs, for example...
Good point!
Old 05-26-2011, 09:15 AM
Rising Sun Member

Yeah, probably need her to at least look at the drawings. I can stamp at the office, but don't have much experience with retaining walls, and none with Denver.
6' from the street doesn't make any sense unless that's new with this year's code. My whole street has retaining walls with fences on top... I would call that a loophole. The "fence" is the portion that has air on both sides. It's not my fault my lot is higher than the street, and a 2' fence wouldn't be a fence at all. My guess is that any permitter or inspector leaves that up to interpretation, and that should be pretty clear.

Yeah, I do have to close the sidewalk when excavating...no way around that. I can get away with not closing it when building forms, but would have to close it again when doing the pour.
1974V8J40, 1992FJ80, 1985FJ60, 1971FJ55, 1978FJ40, 1974FJ40, 1997 LX450 all long gone.
KD0PZL
Old 05-30-2011, 11:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

I have driven a bob cat a good deal. To answer your questions. You can lift the bucket to about 7' it is tippy when you to. You can not scoop and dump without moving the machine to another location. Trying to dig down with a bobcat doesn't work well. The force of the bucket edge driving downward just isn't that great. I think a mini-ex is maybe better suited for what you're trying to do.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:50 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutbeer View Post
You are correct, the code says 36" plain as day. What threw me was the foundation contractor telling me otherwise this weekend. I assumed someone doing this work for a living would know it off the top of his head, but perhaps he didn't understand my question. He may have been referring to footing width....dunno. And yes, I must have my wall permitted, stamped, and inspected. The wall itself will be 7' high at it greatest point (to bottom of footing), then a 6' brick fence on top of it.
24" is pretty standard for simple fencing depth. Like my black iron fence footers out front. For deck footers and retaining walls, I was also always told 36".

Once I used a post whole digger by my self and the thing got a way from me, spinning freely, that was a bit sketchy...Kind like a jump rope, you just gotta dive in and grab on..haha..back hoe would be way more fun!!

There is a place on South Broadway that rents that stuff...
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 05-31-2011, 03:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

You know, maybe I have been thinking about this project all wrong. I'm going to wind up with 3' of "dead" space between my wall and the sidewalk because of where the property line is. I've noticed others building retaining walls all the way up to the sidewalk (in the ROW) b/c they use a engineered block that doesn't use mortar.
This has me wondering if I couldn't just build a similar wall and then dig the footing for the brick fence back at the property line. This would make the wall seem less tall, and give me some valuable planting space to break up the walls as well. Anybody know the rules on those "block" walls?
1974V8J40, 1992FJ80, 1985FJ60, 1971FJ55, 1978FJ40, 1974FJ40, 1997 LX450 all long gone.
KD0PZL

Last edited by OilHammer; 06-01-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

Just got the thumbs up from the city to go ahead with the wall and 6' fence. I read the code just like everyone else to say that fences could only be 6' tall, but the "fence" is different from wall as they see it. Whew....thought I was going to have to go incognito on that one, and I have one nosy neighbor that would love to blow a whistle on me for anything he could. Old bag just needs to move on to his retirement home. (I've even played nice with him despite his rants about me moving the dumpster.
KD0PZL
Old 06-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Hard Core 4+

glad to hear you got it all figured out. I have some guys that may be able to help you. PM me or call me 3o3- 8 2 9 = o7o3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me