Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-29-2011, 12:22 PM

Default Electrical Help

Hello guys, I usually spend my time on mud. But I need the help of some local 40 experts. A shop here in town tried to help me with my left turn signal. Now I press the brakes and turn signals up front light up and oh btw now that has stopped and nothing works no signals, hazards, or brakes. I am DRT (dead right there) this is my DD and am willing to pay some cash for help. Mostly so I can learn this stuff and also get me running again. 303-522-3583 Jeff Billingsley
Old 05-29-2011, 02:13 PM
Trail Ready

Jeff,

I'll give some advice first, but then you can come on by and we can work on it... My first assumption is that you probably have some original turn signals and tail lights. If so, they may be rusty and are not getting good ground. When this happens, all sorts of strange electrical poop happens.

I had the situation a while ago where I'd shut down the rig and turn the lights off and the front parking light and tail light on the left side would come on! I almost took apart my entire wiring harness until someone told me to look at the lights themselves and clean them up to make sure they all grounded properly. Solved the issue.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:17 PM

Oh man can't tell you how much of a pain this has turned into. This shop has almost made me think I shouldn't have bought a cruiser. But I still love my cruiser, just would have done things differently. So my plans were to rewire the back harness anyways just not this soon. But I went and got the rest of the parts today and I am gonna work my way back from the rear to the front. I have the dash torn apart and can't see anythin that stands out. This shop had switched the fuel and taillight plugs thinkin that would do the trick. And this is a cruiser shop, go figure. Let me try this last attempt tomorrow and I'll update you on this, breckbj44 I still want to take you up on your offer if this doesn't work out. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:59 PM
Rising Sun member

x2 and you'll get many more; check all your grounds before doing anything. And check your fuses. Stop lights and Turn lights are on different fuses, but they do connect within the wiring harness. What year is your 40?
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 05-29-2011, 08:44 PM
Hard Core 4+

I have to address my grounds about once a year. I clean out each socket in the rear lights as well (I need to replace them someday). Then make sure all your screws are going into clean metal and I now use those little star washers that "bite" into the steel, they seem to be a double edge sword as they give a great ground but they also let crud get back between the parts...

I have used the batter terminal coating stuff with some success, the mag chloride smokes these old cruisers.

FWIW, I just grab a wire brush tip for the drill and have at it in all the light sockets and a wire cup wheel for the grounds.

2001 Sequoia Limited with heated seats

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 05-29-2011, 09:39 PM

My cruiser is a 7/70. I will also do some cleaning on the terminal and sockets. Thanks.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:37 PM
Hard Core 4+

I didn't get rid of those gremlins until I replaced all 4 corners. I think I got mine from ccot.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:52 PM

I cannot tell you guys how F$%&*#@ Pissed I am! This is such a long story and I will never ever recommend (insert ****ty shop name here) to anybody. 8k invested with shop and parts fees and my truck is still jacked up. You would think $90 shop rate for so called "expert service" would get you a lot. I understand a truck that has sat for a while has bugs to be worked out. But this has been a trip to hell and back.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:54 PM

Details?
Old 05-31-2011, 01:58 PM

Get some popcorn and a drink......decided to buy a cruiser to make my daily driver and get rid of my Tacoma. Wanted to go into this with a budget of 10k or so. Thinking I could find a truck for that much that was in decent shape with little investment mechanically. Found a cruiser that a owner needed to part with for $2500. Called this shop and asked about the truck and sent some pics. The owner was excited and said if I didn't buy it then he would. My whole intentions were to make this a DD nothing fancy, mostly stock looking. The body is in good shape with little bondo, a 7/70 fj40 a 2f that's desmogged and 3 speed. After a inspection and list sent to me a fixes we were looking at 8k give or take. I had decided to put my own bumper, mirrors, tires myself to save some shop fees ($90 hourly) The truck had a new alternator, seats and mounts seatbelts fan with clutch, brake job with new man-a-fre discs installed up front with a new seal kit installed on the front axle, some misc seals and fluids added, heater with duct work, carb kit with solenoid, rear hatch handle. And maybe some other odds and ends of small items.
So after app. 1.5 months I got the call. "Come get it!" I went to the shop and drove away. First thing I noticed there was no speedo working, no turn signals and then the smell of antifreeze. Opened the hood and the over flow was pouring out onto the engine. No overflow container installed. Went back and was told that the truck will find it's level and will be fine. So I left then about 8 blocks away the truck started to run funny. Thinking it was out of gas because I noticed the gas gauge wasn't working. I pulled into a station and filled it up. Then I couldn't get the truck into gear. Called the shop and the owner picked me up and the truck was towed back. Well come to find the slave cylinder really didn't work. Just enough for a couple blocks of driving. So they were kind enough to install a new slave cylinder and rigged up the turn signals. And then I installed my windshield sprayer and wipers because I guess that's not needed for a daily driver. I also fixed the defrost ducts because they were taped to the vents up on the dash. I guess they hoped it was never gonna get cold here in Colorado. ($90 hourly rate)I also installed my own locks, weather stripping. Fast forward a month. Took the cruiser for a drive on 6th avenue to play hockey in lakewood and the smell of anti freeze started again. Now I had installed my own overflow unit (nalgene bottle) and was perplexed. "What was going on?" After I had brought it back to the shop it was found the block had crud in it. And coolant wasn't moving correctly or at all, just boiling. After they used some chemical additives to clear it out over the period of 3 days (not done in the first place) it was clean and I then was told about how it ruined my radiator and they installed a new one for $450. I didn't realize it was overheating because the temp gauge wasn't working and due to a 80's 2f being in that 7/70 fj40. I found out the polarity was different and needed a 1f water temp sending unit instead of a 2f wtsu. (Thanks Mark @Marks offroad) So my last adventure was the fact it was not noticed during the carb over haul, that my throttle linkage was jerry rigged up by the PO. Weird, guess expert service doesn't see that red flag. So when I broke down I had the truck towed back to the shop. We talked and figured out what was wrong. The owner felt bad for all the trouble that I went through and hooked me up with a 5 year old webber carb for free. He asked is there any other issues and I said my left turn is out can you look at that? Then we had a talk, I told him I could be that guy and bad mouth him on Mud or here but I was giving him a chance. But now after I had spent all day yesterday and half of today trying to fix my electrical,(rewiring the entire back half because I was told there was a short there) because the left turn issue turned into no brakes, nor turns, just the front turns lighting up when I press the brakes. It wasn't like that before. I have had enough. This is not the work of a old truck, it's the issue of me not being Jonny full resto, not being the big income for a business. They never took my truck for multiple drives around the city or the highway. Corners were cut and more work has been created for me taking time away from my wife and life. You're suppose to take your truck to fix things at a shop not create more work for yourself.