Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-31-2011, 02:50 PM

That sucks, sorry to hear about all your issues. So I'm guessing you still have your electrical gremlins, or did you fix those on your own?
Old 05-31-2011, 03:26 PM

No not at all. They told me when trying to fix the issue, they unplugged and plugged in two different wires to "see what would happen". And said they're on the passenger side firewall. He couldn't remember if they put them back. Well I can't find what he was talking about. Nothing fits the description of what was mentioned. So I spent all day yesterday and half of today rewiring the back half and nothing has changed. I am at my end of my rope. I have no idea what to do!
Old 05-31-2011, 03:45 PM
Rising Sun member

Wow. Just wow. I'm sure you've figured this out by now, but do not take that poor truck back to that shop. That is certainly a horror story. Is the electrical the only thing wrong with the truck or are there other things? What all were they supposed to do?

Do you have an FSM or a Haynes manual? I hate to say it, but I hope you haven't jumped from a more modern vehicle to DDing the 40 yet. I've found that it's hard to DD a 30+ year old vehicle, for reasons exactly like what you're describing; there's always something. Anyway, it sounds like you might have to go back and touch every bulb, fuse, every ground, and check continuity on every circuit, and maybe even pull the harness out to check for broken wires/abraded insulation that may be causing problems. It's going to take time. I'm slowly going through something very similar right now, slowly, methodically, but thankfully not on my DD.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 05-31-2011, 04:03 PM

Let's see: Not going back to that shop, right now the electrical is the only thing wrong/not working. (Knock on wood) And what they were "suppose to do is go through the truck and make it my daily driver" that was my intentions from the start. They did their "inspection" and gave me a list of what was needed to fix. What wasn't mentioned I thought didn't need fixing or replacing. I have the FSM/Haynes/coolermans wiring schematics/2f engine manual/and even the emissions book. But since they jerry rigged some of the electrics I am kind of stuck. The kicker is everything worked minus the left turn before I brought it in to the shop. And yes I guess I made the mistake of selling my 2006 taco and making this my DD. Guess I am kind of naive, still love Toyota's.

Last edited by bigcity25; 06-01-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:15 PM

Not sure what your location is, but I'm in Aurora and you're more than welcome to bring it by if you would like help figuring it out, assuming you can get it there. Send me a PM if you want help on it.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:02 PM
Rising Sun Member

Having the 40 as your DD driver certainly adds an additional "pressure" dynamic when dealing with any issues. You are not the first FJ40 owner to have have issues with a shop. Having read through the details, I can empathize with your frustration and I believe you will find support here to help you work through the wiring issue.

IIRC you work with Denver Fire Department and have a non-traditional schedule and are on the east end of Denver. To keep this thread on track, what does your schedule look like for having someone stop by to give you a hand with better understanding what needs to be done to get the rear lights working? I could stop by on Saturday and have plans that would not allow me to be there on Sunday.
TLCA #18941
Old 05-31-2011, 05:23 PM

PM Sent
Old 05-31-2011, 06:06 PM
Hard Core 4+

As of now the plan is for me to swing by next Sunday.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:26 AM
Rising Sun Secretary

I hope you get that figured out, but I wouldn't lose sleep or elevate your blood pressure over a blinker problem. I have had my 40 for two years now, and I still have to find my left side brake light short although the rest of the lighting deficiencies turned out to be grounding problems. I used it as a daily driver for about a year before I got a 60. I believe that with these old beasts, you have to embrace the constant attention they need. Perfection is an elusive quality in a 40 unless you spend huge cash on a full frame-off rebuild. Nevertheless, they will faithfully get you where you want to go and scare the crap out of those lousy Denver drivers who think of nobody but themselves on the road until they see that chunk of solid metal front bumper looming and get out of the way! I don't think any cops (except maybe State Patrol) will bother you about a minor light issue, though you may get stopped once or twice. Take your time and enjoy finding your rig's quirks yourself, and save that labor charge. Most of the local shops don't really want to mess with 40s anyway, unless somebody wants to pay the afore-mentioned big bucks on a full restoration. And don't forget to come along on the 40s Only Run this summer! Also, I would keep the Aisin carb. You might be wanting to return to that before too long.
2013 F-150 "Black Ops"
Old 06-01-2011, 07:59 AM

Thanks I appreciate the positive talk. Just got really frustrated as hell. And now today I am at work, so I can take my mind off of it. I wish I had the money to open a cruiser shop for all cruiser drivers. Not just the full resto guys I have really been keeping my mouth shut about this shop and finally have had enough.