Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-01-2011, 01:53 PM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

Thumbs up

Hi Big City, I just saw this thread (got pointed to it actually). That is a tough story you have told. I am disappointed that this shop hasn't done better work. I almost bought that shop when the founder had it up for sale a couple years ago. My kinda put her foot down and wouldn't let me (well it was the shop or her, I chose her).

There are a bunch of us who know 40s inside and out and are more than happy to help you learn all you need to know. 40s are actually pretty fun because they are so simple (once you get to know them) that they're pretty easy to work on and figure out. I wish I had known about Rising Sun back when I got my first 40 back in 1982, I would have saved a lot of time and aggravation from making my own mistakes LOL!

FWIW, my 3/71 is 100% bone stock as far as the wiring, if you want we can put the 2 side by side and fix yours up so it is wired the same.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 06-01-2011, 02:14 PM

Well I feel bad talking about this shop the way I am. I think the owner wants to make good and I know he is new to the business side of things. But after spending almost 10k total and alot of my time fixing things I paid to get fixed, not to mention my time it gets old. I know old cruisers may have issues but I guess I am just frustrated.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Rising Sun member

Well it sounds like Tim and maybe others will be able to swing by this weekend and give you a hand. Please keep us up-to-date on your progress and we'll try to give you sideline reviews and input
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 06-02-2011, 12:02 PM

I have done some trouble shooting today. I have power from my brake switch to my turn signal switch. After that no juice. But I still have hazards and left/right flashing front and rear. I am gonna open things up and see if there is a short not allowing power to go through. If the switch is bad will some things work or will it all go?
Old 06-02-2011, 12:29 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcity25 View Post
I have done some trouble shooting today. I have power from my brake switch to my turn signal switch. After that no juice. But I still have hazards and left/right flashing front and rear. I am gonna open things up and see if there is a short not allowing power to go through. If the switch is bad will some things work or will it all go?
Depends on the switch and what type of switch it is.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Trail Ready

As a note... The hazard switch in my cruiser runs a LOT of the turn signals and such. With the grounding issue I had, I also had a bad switch which made my three days of taking apart my dash and wiring harness even more fun. Once I realized the grounds were the issue and that the switch was bad, I shorted the hazard switch (to make it work properly, but I no longer have hazard lights) until I sourced a new one.

Toyota does a great job of building harnesses so unless your PO, or this shop, messed with things, I'd say check your harness last.

I have to coach Saturday, but unless we play better than expected, I should have time Sunday... Where are you located? I am in Capitol Hill.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:53 PM

Old 06-02-2011, 01:41 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default electrical help

In my experience with my 1968 Fj-40, my turn indicators were failing gradually. Intermitent function, then eventually no-workie. The brake and hazard lamps were good. The switch mechanism on the column had mechanically wore out. I took it apart and with the old (po supplied) original also apart, tried to make one functioning switch. No success, the moving parts were too loose and the required bridging contacts were sloppy. I bought a new switch from TOYOTA (part # 84310-60022) and installed it. Now my turn signals work fine. Yes you have to pull the steering wheel to remove and replace the switch. Oh yeah the brake lights, in 68, are routed through the horn relay. That I was able to mend/solder. Good luck!
Old 06-02-2011, 02:02 PM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcity25 View Post
FYI, a short will either make a fuse blow (if you are lucky) or make wires melt/sparks/fire. What you are looking for is an open - something is not connected where it is supposed to be connected. If you have hazards and turn signals working that is a real good sign - it also means you have functional grounds on your rear combination lamps and front turn signal assemblies.

I just re-read your original post and it looks like you have a different condition now than you did then. Is all we are trying to fix is brake lights and everything else works right?
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 06-02-2011, 02:08 PM

OK, yes the hazards and turns work again. They are rigged by the shop with an aftermarket flasher relay on a separate power source that is also grounded to the truck. I have a green and white wire that is hot not plugged into anything just taped up. But my right turn also flashes faster than the left. So I ordered a new turn signal switch and brake pressure switch for 2 reasons: 1 my right turn had a small short starting to appear and worked some of the time. 2 I have been chasing power from my brake switch to see where it's stopping or coming from. I have power going to the plug that supplies my brake switch. But pressing on the pedal should close the circuit and I should see power come through the switch at least to my meter and register on it. My meter was grounded (I tested it on another hot source) and nothing happened. Plus if that's not the problem I'll have spare parts for the future. I added new grounds to my rear lights, to the frame. But I think there might be a wiring issue somewhere. I pulled the fuse on Tuesday for the brakes and tried the circuit to see if power was flowing backwards or something weird. When I reinstalled the fuse the turn indicators on the dash stopped lighting up. (weird) So it kind of corrected that issue, but is it fixed in that sense I don't know. I wonder if the brake switch got burned out from the "reversal" or some plugs that was done by the shop.