Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 06-06-2011, 12:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Winch controller opinions wanted

Went to move my winch on/off switch, and controller plug to operate from my glove box on my 40. When I retrieved my controller from the center console, The whole tray was full of M&M sized plastic chips...Squirrels had gotten to the controller box, and eaten it.

When I was looking for a replacement, I noticed the wireless remote for the winch controls, and was wondering if anyone has used one...is it worth the money...is it any good....should I just stick with the wires...opinions please!

Thanks
Old 06-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

What winch do you have?

IIRC, some of the newer controllers, including wireless, don't work with older winches. When I bought a new controller for my XD9000 I got one of the ones with the LED light on it from Warn. It didn't work even though Warn said it would. They had to send me a new updated wiring harness for the box for it to work. As I recall, I would have had a similar problem with the wireless system.

For me, the amount of winching I do would never justify the cost of the wireless system so I went with the age old wired controller. And frankly, the Warn controller with the LED light is pretty gimicky...You're better off with a head lamp or flashlight if you are winching in the dark so if I could do it over again I'd just get the old school one.

If you are going to the trouble of relocating the plug, why not just do an in/out switch in the cab and forget about a new controller all together?
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 06-06-2011, 07:03 PM
Hard Core 4+

Keep it Simple.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:02 AM
Rising Sun Member

I thought about a wireless remote when I bought mine, the salesman said that sometimes there is a delay that might cause a safety issue while winching.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:02 AM
Rising Sun Member

I still carry my plug-in winch controller, but I wired an in-cab switch so I can run the winch whenever I want. It was cheap to do, works great, and I love the capability. I used a winch switch from 12voltguy.com to arm the winch, and a 3-position Carling switch to control it.

Mark

http://www.scaldeddog.com
Old 06-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

I would go with the wired in-cab setup, I have the same as Mark. Also, don't throw away the chewed up winch controller. It would be super easy to get a small plastic project box from Radio Shack and move your switches over to it or even install new switches if the old ones were damaged/
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 06-07-2011, 07:39 PM
Rock Stacker

I used (2) normally open pushbutton switches from "Checker" mounted them into a 3/4" electrical LB and used an old school Trailer harness (4-wire) that worked great for around $8.00. I had some wire laying around, so I made it work. I placed about a 20' lead on it, just in case I wanted to use it in the cab or outside. Its kinda ugly but it will work.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the comments and ideas you have given me. I've decided to go ahead and rebuild instead of going wireless. I don't use my winch too often, and started thinking about not having batteries for the controller when I needed them most...That would just be my luck...so I'm opting for the tried and true...hard wire option. The wire was left fairly un-scathed, but still took some damage from the chewing.

Here's what those little fuzzy tailed rats did...
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2011, 12:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

OK, here's what I've done...Went ahead, and wired up a toggle (20amp) "temporary on" switch. When pressure is not applied to the switch, it centers, and stops the connection. Got a box from Radioshack, drilled holes for the switch, and cord. Inserted a grommet on the cord side to help protect it.
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2011, 01:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

Openned the winch controller box, and removed the switch, and the cable connector, moved both of those to go through the glove box wall. Jumpered the power to the winch solenoids to determine which one was out, and which one was in, and wired the controller box accordingly. Put a cover plte on the open holes left behind after the switch removal. After wiring was complete, I reinstalled the cover 180 degrees from what it was to keep it clean looking.

Now my controls are accessable through the glove box! I like to wheel with he windshield down, and since my controller box was under the hood, it made it a pain to get to the winch controls.

Not anymore! pretty happy with the results...
Attached Images