Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 06-15-2011, 07:21 AM
Lifted

Those look nice and I like supporting local business. Any issues/interference running antennas on front hood vs rear bumper?

Is there a good flexible HAM antenna? If it's on my hood it may get wacked by a couple branches etc.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:41 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveIT View Post
Those look nice and I like supporting local business. Any issues/interference running antennas on front hood vs rear bumper?
thanks for the support! All things being equal, performance is typically worse on the rear bumper, compared to the side of the hood. Mainly due to the better ground plane, and not having your truck get in the way of propagation.

Quote:

Is there a good flexible HAM antenna? If it's on my hood it may get wacked by a couple branches etc.
The Comet SBB-1 is a great choice, a lot of folks run it. It's a short, stubby, flexible dual-band antenna, will hit all the local repeaters, works great on the trail.. only time it falls short is longer distance simplex communications.

Diamond also makes a nice compact 1/4 wave, check out the AZ504SP

a lot of guys here run that Comet, with good results.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-17-2011, 02:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default yep....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
thanks for the support! All things being equal, performance is typically worse on the rear bumper, compared to the side of the hood. Mainly due to the better ground plane, and not having your truck get in the way of propagation.

Diamond also makes a nice compact 1/4 wave, check out the AZ504SP

a lot of guys here run that Comet, with good results.
I gots this one...what's nice is that it is somewhat tunable.

And...for the record, it will sustain driving into one's garage while attached to a Gamiviti rack on a 60 with only 1-2" of clearance from the rack to the garage.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:31 PM
Lifted

Sweet, ordered the mount today.

Would you guys recommend the Comet SBB-1 over the Firestik 5/8 2m antenna?
Old 06-17-2011, 03:55 PM
Lifted

One thing I noticed is the SBB-1 says 60W max. The FT-2900R does up to 75W (but doesn't seem like you need to use that much.)

What happens if you push 75W to it? Does it explode or make some cool fireworks?
Old 06-17-2011, 05:09 PM
Lifted

I'll give my 2 cents. I run a 5/8 Larsen dual band through the roof, best ground plane. My reasoning is I wanted every ounce of performance out of my rig as I frequently travel alone. My justification for getting into amateur radio in the first place was emergency communication. I just recently installed an antenna switch so I could use a 1/4 wave MJF mini mag mount for group runs in thick trail use and then take off the Larsen and cap the NMO. Not too much trouble IMHO. Just depends on your own circumstances and needs.

If you are in a valley and/or far from a repeater running your highest power could make the difference. Not a far fetched scenario in CO. I would match antenna power rating to the radio.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin