Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 06-19-2011, 07:05 PM
Lifted

Default So where's the biggest fireworks display for the 4th?

OK so usually every 2nd, 3rd & 4th I get to watch some amazing fireworks displays at all the different beach clubs back in NY. Not going back for the 4th sooooo anyone got some recommendations on awesome fireworks displays to be seen out here? Do people even celebrate Independence Day out here?

I dip my fig newtons.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:24 PM
Trail Ready

If you like the Blues Brothers, go to their show at Red Rocks on the 4th. They play every year & take a set break right around the time the fireworks start. You can go up top at Red Rocks & see fireworks go off across the front range for like 100 miles. granted, they are farther away, so they are small, but it really is a neat sight, & a great show every year.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8fulabe View Post
If you like the Blues Brothers, go to their show at Red Rocks on the 4th. They play every year & take a set break right around the time the fireworks start. You can go up top at Red Rocks & see fireworks go off across the front range for like 100 miles. granted, they are farther away, so they are small, but it really is a neat sight, & a great show every year.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

My wifes birthday is the 4th of July so where ever she want to go we go! In Colorado the two best places to be on the 4th that we have found is Ouray or Telluride. Both places will not have accommodation unless booked a minimum of 6 mos in advance! Ouray is just plain old fashioned (at the fringe of hooky) fun. The whole town is one huge party with activities everywhere. Have dinner at Buen Tiempo and you'll probably get to meet Dennis Weaver. Fireworks are shot off the switchbacks and the roar through the box canyon is unbelievable! Telluride is much more civilized but also ultra crowded. Stake out a spot near the court house early for the parade and you'll probably see Tom and Katie Cruise. Oprah is a regular in town also and has a awesome coffee shop on the East end of town. Fireworks are, beyond words, incredible and are shot over the park where a massive community BBQ is put on with games and entertainment a plenty!

Locally most places are similar and I haven't done Denver or south but up North, Longmont and Boulder seem to compete every year.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 06-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Huh?
Sorry, Blues Traveler. Not sure where Blues Brothers typed out of...
Old 06-19-2011, 08:55 PM
Rock Stacker

Palmer lake usually has some pretty sweet displays. They also have stuff going on all day.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:07 PM
Hard Core 4+

The fireworks in Avon are pretty good. I think they claim largest in the state.(could be Vail marketing department rating)
Old 06-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Rising Sun Member

Another "Huh?" Dennis Weaver died in 2006. Not sure I'm ready to meet him in his current place of habitation. Some of you guys must have had a really good Fathers' Day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
My wifes birthday is the 4th of July so where ever she want to go we go! In Colorado the two best places to be on the 4th that we have found is Ouray or Telluride. Both places will not have accommodation unless booked a minimum of 6 mos in advance! Ouray is just plain old fashioned (at the fringe of hooky) fun. The whole town is one huge party with activities everywhere. Have dinner at Buen Tiempo and you'll probably get to meet Dennis Weaver. Fireworks are shot off the switchbacks and the roar through the box canyon is unbelievable! Telluride is much more civilized but also ultra crowded. Stake out a spot near the court house early for the parade and you'll probably see Tom and Katie Cruise. Oprah is a regular in town also and has a awesome coffee shop on the East end of town. Fireworks are, beyond words, incredible and are shot over the park where a massive community BBQ is put on with games and entertainment a plenty!

Locally most places are similar and I haven't done Denver or south but up North, Longmont and Boulder seem to compete every year.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:31 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8fulabe View Post
granted, they are farther away, so they are small, but it really is a neat sight, & a great show every year.
When you're on the coast in Westchester County you can see fireworks going off over on Long Island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnhamstj View Post
The fireworks in Avon are pretty good. I think they claim largest in the state.(could be Vail marketing department rating)
Like when they say 14" of fresh and I get up there and there's maybe 3"?

Getting a high perch and looking out across the front range watching fireworks seems very romantic.

I dip my fig newtons.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:31 PM
Hard Core 4+

Vail's fireworks are fantastic. I think seeing a good show in the high country is more than worth the trip.