Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 06-22-2011, 11:56 AM
Rock Stacker

Default Vail to Aspen

Hi, I posted this on ih8mud (been a member there for 6 years, here for about 6 minutes!), one of your members suggested posting here:

Heading to the Vail area next week for 10 days. Trailering my FJ40. My wife and I are planning to head to Aspen for a couple days in the FJ40, and I'm interested in doing part of the trip off road. Looking for advice:

Original thinking is maybe head to Leadville, do Hagerman Pass over to Basalt, down to Aspen. I also see there's a trail from Eagle down to the Hagerman pass road too. We'll be traveling solo, I have 31 AT's, 2" lift, winch, pull pal, etc, and a Sat phone. Don't want to get on a trail that is misrepresented on timing (for example a 3 hr trip becomes 9hrs, but I know the "risks" of off roading) because my wife's along, and an enjoyable scenic drive for a couple day getaway is the goal.

Any thoughts? Also, if there are any members in the area that would be willing to give me their contact info in case I do run into trouble, that would be awesome, please PM me. I've been going to Vail for 30 years, this will be my first time off roading, I hope to make it a regular deal.

Also, I'm thinking about doing the McAllister gulch trail on a different day, anything unexpected there? Can a stock Wrangler make it along with me?

I really appreciate the comments everyone, thanks so much.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Rising Sun Member

Hagerman isn't much worse than a dirt road, but if there is snow (and mud) present it could be dangerous if not impassable. Call the forest service (White River I think) and find out the condition of the pass and the snow conditions.

Other than that, the drive on the west side along the Fryingpan River is spectacular - a perfect way to get to Aspen.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:59 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

I doubt you will make it over any 4x4 passes from vail to aspen. hagerman is partially open on the west side according to bushducks. You will probably have to go over independence if you want to get there.
TLCA#4180
Old 06-22-2011, 01:25 PM

There's a few of us going to Leadville this weekend camping out, probably going to end up on halfmoon creek trail at some point, so if you need to call feel free. three 2 five two 8 zero three 5 four five.

Trey
Old 06-22-2011, 03:59 PM
Rock Stacker

Thanks Trey, but we're not going to be in Vail until the 30th, and then heading to Aspen after that.

John
Old 06-22-2011, 07:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcruiser View Post
Thanks Trey, but we're not going to be in Vail until the 30th, and then heading to Aspen after that.

John
If we keep up with a lot of warm weather, some of the places might be snow free by then. I agree with Jacket, give the forrest service a ring and see what they know about the conditions.

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili