Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 06-29-2011, 05:28 AM
Hard Core 4+

why not hughes/echostar?

john (johnny) henley
Old 06-29-2011, 07:31 AM
Hard Core 4+

From what I read on Pinecam, the order of quality and support is (if available in an area):
Comcast
Qwest (maybe, it seems to be getting worse which is my current experience)
Skybeam if you have line of sight. Some latency. Pretty fast, pretty cheap. Those that like it really like it. Some hate it.
Wild Blue - but be aware that a bandwidth slot may not be open and be aware of download limits that bump your speed down to share bandwidth with others. Also, one second or more latency may occur, making remote desktop interesting. Folks that have no other options but dialup use them and seem to like them OK.
Hughes, not many seem to use them
Dish (but you need DSL). Not really clear if you actually use any Dish infrastructure or if it is merely a bundle. I hate Dish. Didn't pursue it.

Skybeam seems to be the least expensive and pretty fast if your install is good... but customer service seems spotty in quality and you may have to wait if you have a problem (understaffed).

Man, something in me just grates at the thought of paying Comcast. It's the fastest and most stable though. I only want internet, I don't watch TV. Yech.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.

Last edited by Red_Chili; 06-29-2011 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:16 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Man, something in me just grates at the thought of paying Comcast. It's the fastest and most stable though. I only want internet, I don't watch TV. Yech.
Same here. We just have the high speed internet and phone. No cable tv. Works great.

'85 FJ60
Old 06-29-2011, 08:26 AM
Rising Sun Member

My parents live quite rural up near Pine. They have hughes. I wouldn't recommend them. The speed is okay, about as fast as you'd expect from a satelite, but the customer service has a little to be desired.

Comcast is, well, comcast. Personally, I hate them, but, if you have the oportunity to get cable service up there, that is likely the best option. Snow and weather systems (thunderstorms) will affect at least the Hughes service, and I'd expect the other satelite options as well.

Skybeam seems to be awesome. The "neighbor" up the mountain from my parents can get that, and swears by it.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 06-29-2011, 08:30 AM
Hard Core 4+

Consider that you need >5Mbps to get HD Netflix streaming, so factor that in your choices. For example Hughes and Wild Blue (for the moment until ViaSat gets the new bird up) won't do it I assume. Plus Hughes still uses that antique rolling 24 hour cap, so a big download locks you out for the rest of the day. This is a major PITA when a big OS update comes down the pike. We've been on our Qwest DSL for 8+ years now, it's been reliable, particularly since they rolled out FTTP in our area. We currently sit at the 20Mbps tier (highest I could go with my ADSL2+ modem, we are qualified for bonded 40Mbps if I want to replace the modem). We get negotiated 20Mbps with actual throughput of ~17Mbps

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 06-29-2011, 09:30 AM
Hard Core 4+

Yeah, Qwest has been iffy for me in Littleton. They did line tests and everything, yet could not explain why my 6Mbps would sometimes drop below 1Mbps. Not within their system, the guy said. Yeah right. Maybe the cat 5 cable coming out of the back of their router got wet where it plugged into them internets.

It's all moot... Qwest doesn't have DSL up there. Sounds like I weigh the expense and speed of Comcast versus the simplicity, decent speed, and affordability (along with some customer service issues) of Skybeam. [EDIT: I found out the tower I spied on top of the mountain near there - visible from the front porch - is the Skybeam Doubleheader tower. So no problems there. Skybeam is *up to* 5Mbps so that is a bummer - real world, what, 2.5Mbps?]

FWIW, Comcast can't find my new address in their system so they don't know if they do or don't. The local office should know.

And yeah, the seller accepted the offer so I is under contract...
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.

Last edited by Red_Chili; 06-29-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:37 AM
Club Treasurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
And yeah, the seller accepted the offer so I is under contract...
Congrats! Hope all goes well, and if so, welcome to the neighborhood!

67 FJ40 LC Tan
94 RN101 PU Pewter
95 FZJ80 LC Red
99 UZJ100 LC Black
00 VZN185 4Runner Highlander Jade
00 VZN185 4Runner SR5 Desert Dune
Old 06-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Hard Core 4+

Why, thankee!
BTW, I had been giving Comcast the wrong zip code. Funny how easy they could find it with the right one. Googlemaps was wrong...
So kinda leaning Comcasty now.
KDRCH
Bio Page
Old 06-29-2011, 04:35 PM
Hard Core 4+

Congrats Bill, I agree with giving Comcast money but for us it is the best choice and for you I would think the same. Movies stream with no problem and we can remote onto other users systems like we were in front of them. It is pricey but when they have you by the proverbial Mbps's you got to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 06-30-2011, 09:48 PM
Trail Ready

I'm not in your area but can say this much: 1) I have line-of-sight broadband internet from a tower in town less than two miles as the bird flies and it is generally very good. The original Motorola receiver got water in it and had to be replaced and I was without internet for a week in April due to a lightning strike on the transmitting tower. There have been some other minor hiccups in the last five years but not bad overall.
2) My brother has Wild Blue and has been happy with it. He set it up with wireless and a couple of neighbors use it and share the cost.
3) In my area Verizon/Frontier is now offering high speed over the phone lines and I will probably switch to this to save some $$$.

None of the options above is as fast as some of the high speed available in "the big cities" but they are about a gazillion times better than dial-up.
TLCA#19287 -Since 12/08