Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 06-30-2011, 01:27 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default It's official, I'm poor as crap now...

...because Kate and I just bought WAY too much land. 58 acres just north of Dumont (the post office exit, not the gas station one).
Name:  land 1.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  148.0 KB

Name:  land 2.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  124.0 KB

Name:  land 3.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  82.7 KB

It is vacant land. Couple prospect holes dug at some point, but that's about it. So, first order of business is to get a shed up there so I can start storing some tools and things there instead of in the 60. Question is, how to do that--legally.

Because there is no permitted primary use (yet), I can't simply put up a shed. To do that, I need a special use permit by the looks of it, which is both costly ($600 for the permit) and annoying, in that they are generally for limited duration. We fully intend to build before a temporary special use permit would run out, but I also don't want to have to worry about running afoul of planning and zoning at the same time we actually build the house, if this all takes longer than we'd like.

Long term plan is to build a shed (to practice my log work again), then build a utility shed (to install the water stuff and solar power) before we try to build the house. For one, we would rather pay for smaller projects as we go, and secondly it would give us the ability to haul a trailer up there if we needed while we build the home.

Any suggestions? (yes, it will EVENTUALLY get a shop, but that will wait a while unfortunately)

Dan
Old 06-30-2011, 02:35 PM
Hard Core 4+

freaking sweet looking land.. my wife and i have always wanted 40 acers of wooded mountain land. just as you bought. im jellous. if you need a hand slinging logs id problly be up for it.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:41 PM
Rising Sun Secretary

Congrats! Beautiful land!
2013 F-150 "Black Ops"
Old 06-30-2011, 02:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMZTOY View Post
if you need a hand slinging logs id problly be up for it.
I can almost guarantee we will....

Dan
Old 06-30-2011, 03:46 PM
Rising Sun member

Looks great Dan! Let us know if you need help with moving/unloading etc.!
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 06-30-2011, 03:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

My plan for if/when I buy mountain property is to put a trailer on it until the house is built. This gives you the flexibility to live there for a while before making permanent building decisions. It may also skirt the permitting issue for some period of time. Plus finding a trailer relatively cheap shouldn't be too tough - although I haven't done it yet. Good luck.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 06-30-2011, 04:53 PM
Hard Core 4+

Sheds built on skids (rather than a foundation) sometimes are valid/code where a foundation-built shed is not. You would want to locate it such that someone couldn't easily just tow it up onto a flatbed trailer and run away with it, however.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

My brother in law bought a camper for the bed of his truck, hauled it up and left it there. It has been there for three years while he builds his cabin. It does not have a ton of storage for tools but made a great ready made home while he worked up there. Plus when it was cold it did not take a lot of energy to get it warmed up. Good luck with the planning. It is a lot of work but there is a lot of personal value in the end.

Justin
78 FJ40, Rear Locker, 33's, power steering, sbc and so much more left to do.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

We're going to go have a "chat" with the Zoning and Planning folks to explain what we want to do. Frankly, we're interested in a pretty conservative building schedule so that at no point is there a risk of a half-finished project.

Shed to store tools, then a utility shed to house water/well stuff and the solar stuff, then the septic.... at which point we either build the house real quick, or haul a trailer up there and build the house a little slower.

The key is, at some point it has to be permitted (not just the shed, but the other stuff that I prefer to do before the house), and we don't want to get stuck with the 48 month timeline for a typical building permit. I definitely don't plan on it being a problem, but the last thing I want to do is to have to rush to meet that deadline and end up either with a bigger bill or something I'm not happy with just to avoid an extension of some sort.

Matt: the nice thing is, we don't own much. Literally it's 5 vehicles, a bunch of cruiser parts and tools, a piano, and a futon. Everything else can be carried by one person no sweat. Of course, hauling my inoperative 45 up from NM is a big enough job that it's probably just easier for me to get it running there and drive it up. Besides, then I'd have an easier time hauling my tools up--see how I'm justifying spending money on it right now???

Dan
Old 06-30-2011, 10:42 PM
Trail Ready

Dan, what is this "log work" that you speak of ?
TLCA#19287 -Since 12/08