Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 07-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Spring Creek - Argentine

We had good day. It, was Crase, Brady, Loki, Sandman and I. We got an early start and made it cleanly over the first obstacle. Crase made quick work of the first obstacle also and was about a third of the way up the trail when his front spring hanger mount ripped off. We did a successful trail repair with my ratchet strap. Brady followed him back down to make sure he got down safely. Which he did. The trail fix held well enough for him to limp all the way home - so that was good. Unfortunately, Steve wasn't able to finish the trail with us. It will have to be another day for him.

We all made it through the switchback obstacle. Which was pretty messed up and slick. And then through the rock garden. Which has been filled in with dirt and is easy now. Everyone did well. Loki (Paul) wheeled like a champ in his well built 80. Brady had absolutely no issues with his Rubi. His only problem was not having a radio.

Paul lent Brady his portable HAM, which worked really well. He got stuck behind about 10 other Jeeps trying to catch up to us at the rock garden. But, we eventually regrouped and finished the trail.

We had dodged most of the rain clouds and decided to still do Argentine. The road down to Georgetown was very rough and took forever to descend. Won't do that again.

So Brady, Sandman and I got to Argentine abut 4pm. Since it was a Sat. there were quite a few people up there. About 10 campsites, jeeps, ATV's, cyclists and hikers. Not too much trash. A little less than Spring Creek. The water was flowing all over the road intensely in places.

We made it up pretty high on several roads and hit some snow drifts in several places. Had to back long distances down in spots as well. Pretty beautiful up there with all the storms around and such.

We took the low road down and met 3-4 rigs stopped after the first creek crossing. One of them had a water related issue they were trying to fix. The water crossing were quite deep but we all made it through and out fine. It's an interesting feeling dropping down into the raging creek and feeling the front of your rig floating down stream a little as you push forward.

Ill fill out the forms and try to e-mail them to Brant's office.

Sorry I have no pictures. So I guess it didn't happen right.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Wincher

Here are some I took from my phone camera....

Broken spring hanger:

Switchback obstacle:

Switchback obstacle:

Switchback obstacle:

Top of the Rock Garden:

Looking back down:

Looking up:

TLCA #19340
1997 FZJ80 Charged, Locked and Loaded
Old 07-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks for the pictures Paul. I was expecting grief for not taking any.

Nice job driving your 80. Your ready for Old Chinaman Gulch or something harder.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:18 PM
Hard Core 4+

Wow, the rock garden really is filled in right now. Thanks for the report/pics...I'm hopefully looking forward to some wheeling trips in August
Old 07-10-2011, 06:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thank you Scott for setting this up, we had a blast!
Attached Images

97 LX450
Old 07-10-2011, 06:27 PM
Rising Sun Member

Couple more
Attached Images

97 LX450
Old 07-10-2011, 07:22 PM
Rising Sun member

Scott, you can just email the forms to me at theonlysubzali@hotmail.com and I'll make sure they get to Brant! That way I can independently keep track of the hours too so we can make sure we get credited for them at the end of the year! Thanks! Looks like you had fun!
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 07-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Hard Core 4+

Wow, crazy to see so much snow melted away. Did you guys make it to the Santiago Mine? From that shelf road pic of Yoder, almost looks like you guys made it up McClellan?

Thanks for running up there!

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 07-11-2011, 09:42 PM
Rising Sun Member

Forms sent Matt.

Perry. This was only my second trip up there but yes I believe we made it to the Santiago mine and yes that was the road to the top of McClellan pass we were on before hitting very large drifts on the shelf road and having to back out. Same thing with Argentine Pass rd. We didn't made it very far past the big parking lot.

We were following Brady around up there in the rain. Since he didn't have a radio we didn't know where we where half the time. Plus he was driving really fast which was fine by me but Sandman couldn't keep up. When you wait for the person behind you - you are only as fast as the slowest person ya know -
Old 07-12-2011, 07:55 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeRunner View Post
Forms sent Matt.

Perry. This was only my second trip up there but yes I believe we made it to the Santiago mine and yes that was the road to the top of McClellan pass we were on before hitting very large drifts on the shelf road and having to back out. Same thing with Argentine Pass rd. We didn't made it very far past the big parking lot.

We were following Brady around up there in the rain. Since he didn't have a radio we didn't know where we where half the time. Plus he was driving really fast which was fine by me but Sandman couldn't keep up. When you wait for the person behind you - you are only as fast as the slowest person ya know -
Yes we ended up above the Santiago Mine. That 3rd Gen picture of Scott and Mike on the shelf road was on the way up to McClellan until we were stopped by snow.

I likey driving fast.

97 LX450