Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 07-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Lifted

Default Looking to get away from the crowds...

Howdy -

I'm a big fan of fishing - all kinds of fishing: both fly and bait. Looking for some trails that would take me up by some river, lakes, streams that are off the beaten path. Nothing too 'crazy'... Please send me some recommendations/directions.

Thanks,
James
Old 07-06-2011, 07:05 PM
Rock Stacker

Mammoth Gulch is a favorite of mine. Go up to Rollinsville, go west towards the tunnel, go up mammoth gulch road (after you pass those summer homes and where the Gilpin cty sheriff lives), make a right where the trails are numbered and take the one that goes downhill. That place is usually empty on weekdays, some weekends it can get a few people though, mostly day trippers.

Later in the season, James Peak Lake at the top, most people don't want to go in there because of the immediate 700 foot descent to get into the place. There and Arapahoe lake are some good fishin.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:10 PM
Hard Core 4+

Some spots up at the top of Middle St. Vrain Trail/Coney Flats. Scenic, and you get some nice 4 wheelin' in on the way without it being crazy.

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 07-07-2011, 12:42 PM
Rising Sun Member

For something within a couple hours of town....South side of Georgia Pass Road (Park County side, not Summit side). Several creeks flow in the area, there's a couple of lakes, and it's not too crowded (compared to other things within 2 hours). The Georgia Pass road is scenic, fun, but not technically difficult.

Otherwise, if you really want to get away from the crowds, you need to exit the "two hour bubble" near the front range. Venture past Park County, Summit County, Boulder County and Larimer County, and it starts to become a pretty nice state.....
Old 07-07-2011, 01:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

i'm your huckleberry.
Here are two of the best hike in spots in colorado.

research beaver creek by canon city - moderate to difficult (due to remoteness). Fly/lure only. native greenbacks - don't keep em.

Music Pass above the sand dunes - easy to moderate. fly/lure only. native greenbacks - don't keep em.

I could provide much more information for beer. Beaver Creek is not for the inexperienced backpacker. There are scrambles and bouldering skills required, as well as it being big critter country. Last time there I crossed 3 rattle snakes, and was almost bitten 1.5 hrs into the canyon. 4-6 hours to get in all the way depending on skill.

music pass is a walk really, but big bear country. 4-5 hour drive, then 2hrs in at a good clip.

the taylor pass/crested butte areas are the only areas I know of in the state that mix wheeling with fishing.

john (johnny) henley
Old 07-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Lifted

Default Trip this past weekend...

Was going to go down to Mammoth Gulch as planned, but last minute my wife wanted to change the plan... so we headed down to the Middle St. Vrain Trail - beautiful place.. nice camp sites away from the crowds just below, near the river. The boulders got a little too much for me at the end and I ended up turning around just below the last obstacle... I suppose I could have pushed it but the thorugh of ruining my still-good rockers wasn't appealing so we turned back. Heading back down we ran into a 4 jeeps - one of them had a breakdown - apparently the sidewall was cut on a sharp rock. We helped them get going again up the trail - they were trying to lift the Jeep by the ARB front bumper using the HiJack... wasn't working. I loaned them my bottle jack and we got them going again - couldn't escape noticing that the girls in the Jeep were pretty Hot...

I didn't get to fish like I wanted to but the trip was awesome - my wife drove part of the way and declared that this may be the last time that I got to drive... hehe - guess everyone loves the Cruiser... Once again, the trail is super nice, healthy luscious green forest - the river was ripping.

We'll be back. Got to get me those rock sliders so we can complete these adventures with less stress.