Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-17-2012, 12:20 PM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Not necessarily, with a relay you can tap just about any existing hot or ignition-on circuit for the control side. It's very low current. You hang a fuse from the battery to the relay high side, put the relay right by the battery and a decent wire to the clutch....
That's pretty much the same thing as I was talking about, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
If yo uare going ot use a dash circuit, you should use a relay......
Okay, y'all have convinced me. Should be easy enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Or........you know you will need it anyway.....go ahead and put in a accesory fuse box now! That way your rock lights, air comp, fridge and LED array are taken care of!

:evilgrin:
I have an accessory fuse block that I installed a while back. Not the best solution, but not horrible for now and no worse than my factory fuse block. All that wiring needs to be cleaned up one of these days too.

Today I spent my last big chunk of change: $50.61 on the 3/8" Viair leader hose with integrated check valve (24" long), and a Viair 110-145 psi pressure switch. Maybe I should have gotten the 90-120 psi switch. I dunno.

Running Total: $287.53
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 02-17-2012, 12:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Today I spent my last big chunk of change: $50.61 on the 3/8" Viair leader hose with integrated check valve (24" long), and a Viair 110-145 psi pressure switch. Maybe I should have gotten the 90-120 psi switch. I dunno.

Running Total: $287.53
It does add up quick! I used to run higher pressure in my system but found it doesn't affect the performance much by dropping it down but it does seem to have less leaks and hose failures at lower pressure.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-17-2012, 05:33 PM
Rising Sun member

Another $8.08 to O'Reilly for a 30A relay and 2' of 5/8" ID hose...
And $7.52 for two 1/2" FNPT by 5/8" hose barb adapters...one for the inlet filter and one for the suction side of the compressor...

Running Total: $303.13 ouch broke the $300 barrier...slowing down though.

Also called up 4WheelParts and asked if they could swap me the 110/145 p/s for a 90/120. Should come early next week.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
Old 02-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Rising Sun Member

good call on the pressure reduction. I agree with UB, I really saw little advantage to running higher pressure.
82 FJ40
Old 02-21-2012, 06:17 PM
Rising Sun member

Getting some things done while I'm waiting for my parts to come in.

I've been fabricating a bracket to hold my inlet air filter on my air cleaner, I'll post some pictures of it later when it's done. Also need to come up with a bracket to hold my air manifold and relay, I think I have some ideas on that that I'll hopefully be able to work on tomorrow. Hopefully I won't hit a snag and can keep steaming along until it's done.

I assembled as many of the inlet and outlet fittings as I could.

On the inlet, I have my 5/8" SAE-5/8" SAE swivel fitting, 5/8" SAE-1/2" MNPT 90 degree elbow, and 1/2" FNPT-5/8" barb all connected and ready to go.

On the outlet, I have my 1/2" SAE-1/2" SAE swivel fitting, 1/2" SAE-3/8" MNPT 90 degree elbow, 3/8"-3/8" coupling, and 3/8" Viair leader hose with integrated check valve all connected and ready to go (NOTE THAT THE CHECK VALVE IS BACKWARDS IN THIS PHOTO):

I'll get some pictures of them mounted in the engine bay later.
Attached Images

Rising Sun Bio

Last edited by subzali; 02-27-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

Nice. Is that a check valve or an unloader?
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 02-21-2012, 07:40 PM
Rising Sun member

It's a check valve, integral with the Viair leader hose (BUT MOUNTED BACKWARDS IN THE PHOTO ABOVE). I think I'm going to put a ball valve on the manifold to let off pressure manually, but between cycles the compressor will just have to start up against pressure.
Rising Sun Bio

Last edited by subzali; 02-27-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:17 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
It's a check valve, integral with the Viair leader hose. I think I'm going to put a ball valve on the manifold to let off pressure manually, but between cycles the compressor will just have to start up against pressure.
It will be fine! The check valve will hold the pressure in the tank. I installed an unloader in one of my first systems and the only thing I noticed was it would leak after a while.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-22-2012, 11:14 AM
Rising Sun member

Just got my air manifold, inlet filter, and outlet filter/coalescer in. Few observations:

-The air manifold is longer than I thought it would be. It's about 9 inches long vs. the 6 I thought it would be. It's nice black anodized aluminum though. It has way more ports than I need, but that's ok.

-The inlet filter is a lot bigger than I was envisioning. I'll have to check and make sure it will even fit where I'm thinking of mounting it. I screwed the cap off to look at the filter element, which is replaceable, not sure where you get a new one though.

-The filter/coalescer is a lot bigger and heavier than I was expecting. Marco was able to mount his straight off his manifold, not sure I can do that. For comparison, the one from Kilby weighs 0.75 lb., this one weighs almost 2 lbs. I guess you pay more for less weight with the Kilby.

Some head-scratching yet to do...
Rising Sun Bio
Old 02-22-2012, 12:39 PM
Rising Sun member

Wondering if I should return this 2 lb. filter/coalescer and swap it out for the more expensive, but lighter at .75 lb. and smaller filter/coalescer from Kilby. With the smaller, lighter one, I could probably close-couple it to the manifold, whereas with this larger one I'm going to probably need to come up with some kind of support for this sucker. Which will probably look huger and stupider than this filter/coalescer already is. Cantilevering this 2lb. weight off my aluminum air manifold and bouncing it around in the rocks doesn't sound like a good idea either.

Any opinions?
Rising Sun Bio