Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Rising Sun Member

That's why I went with the smaller one from Kilby. you could remote mount your big one and use a cheaper hose to connect it to the manifold. the leader hose and the filter will take a lot of heat out of the air, so I am guessing you'd be OK running a cheaper hose after it..

Also, does the filter you bought have any plastic parts in it? My old one did and i melted the plastic bits out of it..
82 FJ40
Old 02-22-2012, 01:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

Reading through this (LINK) it states the filter should be placed 3-4' (hose length) away from the compressor...Not sure if that "rule" applies to all filters or just the Kilby - maybe it is a heat thing?

What about inexpensive home air compressor filters? I guess if this is going to be something you use a lot, you may not want to skimp on the filter. Someday I need to put one on my system but given that I rarely use it
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-22-2012, 01:03 PM
Rising Sun member

I just don't know where I would mount it. There are not really any mounting provisions for it. On a static system (like mounted in a garage) it could easily be supported by 3/8" pipe, but in this case, I'm a little concerned. I don't know if I'm overthinking it or underrating the strength of 3/8" pipe, but it just seems like there can be a significant amount of force involved while off-road. There's a reason there's a battery tie-down and radiator support rods.

It's rated to 300F though, which is higher than the Kilby is rated. It's all metal and glass.

Right now my filter is going to be about 2' from my compressor outlet. Should be far enough to not be 300 deg F
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD

Last edited by subzali; 02-22-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

What shape is the filter you have? Normal "round" shape?

Might not look "pretty" but a big hose clamp attached to something? My big water/heat exchanger for my shower system in the 40 has a metal "T" bar attached to the wheel well with basically a couple hose clamps wrapped with some hose around the clamps that secures exchanger to the "T" of the bar. I had to replace the metal bar because it broke. The bar was 1/4" thick by 1/2" wide IIRC and cracked by one of the mounting holes.

Something like that might work but yeah, I'd attach it to something for sure. The exchanger is quite a bit heavier than your filter but still.

You can see the exchanger in the pics I posted in post #88 - It is the gold "tube" attached to the DS fender. I might have the old "T" laying around that you might be able to make work...
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-22-2012, 01:34 PM
Rising Sun member

The filter/coalescer is this one:

For reference, it's 7" tall and the bowl is about 2 1/2" diameter. The bowl is about as tall as the width of my hand. And it's top-heavy.

Specs:
-Interstate Pneumatics W1461A
-Metal Bowl
-0.3 micron
-8 oz. bowl capacity
-20 SCFM at 100 psi
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches

Last edited by subzali; 02-23-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:43 PM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
...What about inexpensive home air compressor filters? I guess if this is going to be something you use a lot, you may not want to skimp on the filter. Someday I need to put one on my system but given that I rarely use it
You got me thinking - I found this one, it's only $20, weighs 1.4 lbs., 175 psi, but I wonder what temperature it's rated to?
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...7&blockType=G7

And there's this one for $35, 150 psi, no idea on temperature:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...82803P?prdNo=5

There's also this inline filter for $13.50, but not sure what the pressure rating is, let alone the temperature rating?
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...95952P?prdNo=3
Rising Sun Bio
Old 02-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Rising Sun Member

whoa that thing looks awesome.

Can you drill and tap any portion of it?

Why not just get some galvanized pipe and make a "u" of sorts to it and then the place you can mount it?

or mount the outlet to the manifold, mount that to something then add a piece of rigid pipe to the inlet and mount that.

is there really just no space for it?
82 FJ40
Old 02-22-2012, 06:20 PM
Rising Sun member

Took a lot of pictures tonight.

First one is of the fitting and hose layout, approximately.

Second is the air manifold and approximately where I think I want to mount it. Still have to come up with a bracket for it.

Third is the inlet filter. This thing is big, and also here's what it looks like on the inside.

Last is the outlet filter/coalescer. This thing is big too, and heavy.
Attached Images

Rising Sun Bio
Old 02-22-2012, 06:25 PM
Rising Sun member

On the inlet filter, I started playing with the bracket to see how much height availability I would have. The hood was hitting the inlet filter, so I dropped the elevation down a bit using a hand railing (this is very much a hammer-to-fit, paint-to-match sort of deal. I was using my bumperettes as an anvil a couple days ago ), and it clears good now
Attached Images

Rising Sun Bio
Old 02-22-2012, 06:28 PM
Rising Sun member

On the outlet filter/coalescer, I came up with this, which I think will work, supporting the air manifold on one side and an inlet nipple on the other side of the filter, with a u-bend kinda like Marco suggested above. I didn't want to support it fully off the manifold because I think the torque would break the manifold. This configuration will also help the leader hose stay away from the exhaust, but I think I'm going to have to make some heat shields anyway. I can make a bracket that extends down to the sloping part of the fender.
Attached Images

Rising Sun Bio