Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-27-2012, 03:49 PM
Rising Sun Member

Yes, reducing the amount of brass is key to lowering cost in one of these exercises.
82 FJ40
Old 02-27-2012, 06:03 PM
Rising Sun member

yeah, didn't realize that. Is galvanized cheaper than brass? Too late now

Made a bunch of progress tonight. 4WheelParts finally got my pressure switch in, but I'll have to pick it up tomorrow.

So I got my manifold plumbed up with everything else I needed.

Rough-fit my coalescing filter support bracket, I think it'll work pretty good. Hardest part will be figuring out where and how to drill holes in my fender to bolt it up. It definitely needed something, and this bracket really stiffens up the support a lot. I'm sure if I adding some welds and better gussets on my little brackets they would do a lot better. Maybe in iteration 2.

Getting closer, hopefully tomorrow I can final size, clean up and paint my support bracket, figure out how to drill holes in my fender, and start wiring. The wiring shouldn't take too long, it's the cleaning up of the wiring and making it look nice that takes a while

Have to make some heat shields for the exhaust manifold in a couple spots.
Attached Images

Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD

Last edited by subzali; 02-29-2012 at 06:33 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:23 PM
Rising Sun member

Default More Progress

Making more progress tonight.

Put my 90/120 Viair pressure switch in.

Put my quick-coupler in. Now it's ready to hook up an air hose. My air hose and air chuck are ready too.

Got my coalescing filter support bracket fit up. Drilled mounting holes in the bracket and in the fender, touched up the corners and edges and got a coat of primer on it. Should be able to paint it black tomorrow and bolt it up. I'm a little worried about the sharp edges rubbing on the copper pipe, but we'll just see how it holds up and I can always make adjustments later. I'm probably going to have to eventually weld these brackets to make them stiffer, and/or use some heavier gauge metal to make a more substantial bracket - I've been thinking about how I might be able to put a hydraulic press to work

So now I'm pretty much down to wiring. Gonna try to work on that more tonight, and make a big push to get it done. Then I'll need to try and dig up a stopwatch somewhere and do some tests

EDIT: I forgot to load pictures last night.
Attached Images

Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches

Last edited by subzali; 02-29-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:21 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
I'm a little worried about the sharp edges rubbing on the copper pipe, but we'll just see how it holds up and I can always make adjustments later.
Looking great

How about some door edge trim/welting?

Welting

I've got a bunch of it that someday will hopefully end up on the 40 but I could donate a bit to your project - I'm thinking it would stay in place fine or you might have to glue it down but it should prevent rubbing...You might have to trim your support a bit more for it to fit.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-29-2012, 06:34 AM
Rising Sun member

Welting is a good idea Jeff - I might have to swing by your house and pick a little up
Rising Sun Bio
Old 02-29-2012, 12:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Welting is a good idea Jeff - I might have to swing by your house and pick a little up
- Just let me know when and how much you need
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-29-2012, 06:18 PM
Rising Sun member

2:45

That's how long it takes, at 900 rpm, to take a 31x10.50R15 from 12 psi to 36 psi. Not a barn burner, but respectable.

I have a leak at my pressure gauge, but other than that, all systems appear to be nominal. I'll post some pictures, and maybe a video, later.
Rising Sun Bio
Old 02-29-2012, 07:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

Old 02-29-2012, 07:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

Cool. Glad it's operational. This will be a nice reference thread if I ever get around to it in my 80...
Old 02-29-2012, 08:19 PM
Rising Sun member

Some pictures (I added some to my post above too that I forgot to add last night).

I know some of you don't like bullet connectors, but I figured they weren't any worse than the spade connectors y'all told me to connect to my relay with (unless they make generic relay plugs that I'm not aware of), so

At least I used split loom

I changed the routing on my leader hose a little to avoid the exhaust manifold, but now it's really close to the brake pressure switch wire. I'll have to keep an eye on that and see what happens.

My coalescing filter support seems to be doing what I wanted it to do; time will tell if it has vibration issues or chafing issues. It definitely could be a little heavier-duty than 22 ga., I can tell that already. 16 ga. would be better. And gusseted/welded.
Attached Images

Rising Sun Bio

Last edited by subzali; 03-01-2012 at 08:17 AM.