Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 07-18-2011, 10:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

Ken, I hope you don't mind a response to your phone message via the forum - your question regarding the differences between a supercharged 1FZE and a regular 2UZ-FE is a good one and some may be wondering the same. There are plenty of folks with more experience with each of the above engines and my impressions are simply that. I think the straight six cylinder Cruiser engines are tough to beat in almost all instances other than what we might consider regular interstate hiway conditions. In that instance, the V8 simply has it over the six. The V8 revs much more readily and is much more responsive, similar to what you expect from a full size non four wheel drive vehicle. If most of your driving is to be offroad, the six really has major points going for it. If the truck is used more for DD and hiway-type conditions, the Toyota V8 is a kick in the pants compared to the six. All that said, I think the bigger difference is the five-speed transmission that '03s and later have. The V8, loving to rev, more often feels to be in its powerband with the gearing offered by the five-speed. I drove a '98 or '99 LX470 to Moab and back a few years ago and wasn't really struck by any big differences between it and the supercharged 1FZE, power wise. With our '03 at hiway speeds and heading into the mountains, the five-speed always seems to have the engine right at a good rpm with the ability to accelerate just a touch of the pedal away. Under similar conditions in the supercharged 80, it felt as if the 80 and its four-speed tranny needed more time and more pedal to garner the same results. Coming from 60 series trucks, I know how important momentum is to the torquey six if you want to maintain hiway speeds at altitude. Much less drama involved in the 100 getting around slower moving vehicles or being able to accelerate after the going gets slow.
What I think you really should be looking at Ken, is a 200 series. How many club members have a 200? The 60 series brought the Cruiser wagons into the 20th century and the 80 was a complete and serious step forward from the 60s. The 100 now, in my opinion, is another giant leap forward over the 80 in creature comforts and in some technical areas, too. That's just my experience and I don't expect anyone else to take my word for it. If the 200 is a full step above the 100, and I believe it to be, then ownership satisfaction would never be in doubt. The '08s can't be too much more expensive than a late 100 can it? If there aren't any others in the club with a 200, then I think you would be the perfect candidate for being the first!
Good luck with your decision. You can't go wrong - unless you wind up with a four door Rubicon.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:21 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks Steve. The 200 series is a too much $$ for me. Even a used high mileage one is 40K and I am looking to spend half of that and have a few good candidates in the 2003 and 2004 years

I appreciate your insight
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 07-18-2011, 10:25 PM
Rising Sun Commander

hey Steve that was a good read, I like your idea.. so if not Romer, who will be the first RS member to buy & wheel a 200? maybe we should start a pool...

Ok in seriousness what do you think about the 2006+.. is 40 HP noticeable? IMO the bigger "bump" is the 5spd tranny in 03, but what do I know mines like 12 years old now

www.gamiviti.com

Old 07-19-2011, 08:50 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
hey Steve that was a good read, I like your idea.. so if not Romer, who will be the first RS member to buy & wheel a 200? maybe we should start a pool...

Ok in seriousness what do you think about the 2006+.. is 40 HP noticeable? IMO the bigger "bump" is the 5spd tranny in 03, but what do I know mines like 12 years old now
My money is on you, Tim.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:04 AM
Hard Core 4+

I am starting to reseach the compatibilty of the tundra parts and my sequioa. I may add sliders this fall and start knocking out a rear bumper/tire carrier. I have contacted ARB to see if the Tundra bumper keeps the air bag compatibility with the Sequioa.

We are looking at a mild 2.5" lift and some tires down the road too. Its a ways off, I bet Nakman beats us to it.

Its not a 200 but it is close!

2001 Sequoia Limited with heated seats

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 07-19-2011, 11:01 AM
Rising Sun member

IPOR Built 200
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 07-19-2011, 02:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

Since Drew brought it up

What is the general consensus with regard to the Sequoia vs. the 100 Series for a daily driver, grocery getter and maybe (although doubtful) occassional mile offroad vehicle?

Any reasons (aside from one is a "Land Cruiser" and the other isn't) why a person should limit themselves to looking at the 100 series vs both? I know the 100s seem to really retain their value which tends to keep the price of a used vehicle up there. Anyone know of issues with the Sequoia that would knock them off the potential buy list?

I've pretty much decided that if the insists on having a truck vs. a car/van then we might as well step up to something that has more power, more creature conforts, and will tow a popup camper up the hill at greater than 25mph - all the while getting better (if only marginally) gas mileage.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 07-19-2011, 07:40 PM
Hard Core 4+

I personally think the Sequoia is a no brainer for a family compared a 100. It's a lot more truck for less money and I doubt you see the differences in "toughness" at Safeway.

We have friends who have a place in the mountains where you need basic 4wd to get to the house in winter (relatively steep dirt road that is plowed but typically packed/icy) and they have 140K on a Limited without any significant issues. That truck has been used for a lot of mountain miles in winter as they ski.

Of course, if you don't need the extra space then its a waste, but to me the 100 is a replacement for an 80 (when your usage fits) whereas a Sequoia is a complement to an 80 that delivers a completely different functionality.

And I have been absolutely floored by said Sequoia heading up I-70, both rigs loaded up with family and ski trip gear. Of course, mileage tends to be fairly high before price really comes down...
Old 07-19-2011, 08:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

The BMW is gone

But I closed the deal on the 100

2004 hundy from Arizona

Already lifted with Slee sliders and 33" AT tires
Attached Images

02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 07-19-2011, 09:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

BTW- will likely get the step sliders, anyone need a 6 week old set of 100 series SLEE sliders?
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i