Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 07-19-2011, 02:34 PM
Rock Stacker

Default CB antenna & lightening risk?

Everyone seems to agree that it is safe to be inside a vehicle during a lightening storm if the windows are up.

Picture a magnetic CB antenna placed on the vehicle's steel roof with the cable running through a closed door's rubber seals to the CB box under the driver's seat. Would this setup in any way diminish the vehicle's safety factor for occupants while driving in a lightening storm?

Thanks in advance. (I'm a fairly new wheeler and don't know much. I have not yet needed to drive in a bad storm with my magnetic CB antenna in place, but next week I may very well need to do it big time.)
Old 07-19-2011, 03:19 PM
Rising Sun member

Fowl language in this first one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3WJt2shAms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STkJGgGpA6U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgkfC8z21lA
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 07-20-2011, 04:19 PM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtRunner View Post
Would this setup in any way diminish the vehicle's safety factor for occupants while driving in a lightening storm?
Nope. A CB antenna, just like your car's AM/FM antenna will not increase your chances of being hit by lightning.

1991 FJ80 converted to an HDT with an A442, Safari intercooler, 3" exhaust, factory Toyota subtank, 3" lift, 285's, Warn 9500xi, rear drawer system, 42qt Engel fridge. This rig is SOLD!
Old 07-20-2011, 04:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtRunner View Post
Everyone seems to agree that it is safe to be inside a vehicle during a lightening storm if the windows are up.
Not "everyone" agrees with that theory, including me.

'85 FJ60
Old 07-20-2011, 10:01 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Miller View Post
Nope. A CB antenna, just like your car's AM/FM antenna will not increase your chances of being hit by lightning.
I would agree, the tiny lightning rod probably adds nothing in the grand scheme of things. But those videos posted above sure beg to speak otherwise, especially the second one with the fried mag mount.

But what about transmitting at 50 watts, Bruce? Shirley that would add to the probability? They suspend the 19:30 Colorado Connection nets when there's lightning, for example.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 07-21-2011, 08:15 AM
Trail Ready

My guess is they suspend the net out of concern for the equipment. There's now two discussions going on with this thread. One is the possibility of being hit by lightning while driving a vehicle and the other has to do with the things we do to protect our radio equipment during an electrical storm.

My personal preference is to disconnect everything from the rig to isolate the rig from nasty weather. On the big towers, all transmission lines, power lines, and rotator cables are disconnected at all times with all the transmission lines dead ended in surge protectors. All of that will probably prevent lightning from damaging my equipment. It won't prevent lightning from hitting the house.

Lightning is bad news to the radio operator, especially if concerns about it aren't a part of the radio equipment installation.

1991 FJ80 converted to an HDT with an A442, Safari intercooler, 3" exhaust, factory Toyota subtank, 3" lift, 285's, Warn 9500xi, rear drawer system, 42qt Engel fridge. This rig is SOLD!