Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 07-22-2011, 11:41 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Installed a new steering wheel, now it honks when I turn

Ahhh, I installed a Grant Steering wheel and now I get a chirp/honk when I am driving slow and crank the wheel (think parking spot turn). So far, I have offended several people and had a few 1 finger waves The worst was a few weeks ago when a neighbor girl and her friend (who are about 15) were coming back from the pool and I was turning into a spot when it did a double chirp... yup, right there as her pops was dropping her off. Gotta' fix this asap.

I know it is a short some where and it appears to be happening as a result of "flex" in the wheel as it doesn't happen when I am careful about just spining the wheel. If I press on the wheel hard even at a stand still it will chirp.

I have pulled it twice now to try to see what's going on and I have added shrink wrap to the connections to cover all the exposed connectors... still I get the chirp.

FWIW, at night when the lights are on, I can get both turn signals to blip at the same time the horn chirps. Something is grounding out and connecting the circuit but I can figure out what. Any guesses?

For now, I have disconnected my horn but that is NOT a long term solution.

Thanks-

Drew

2001 Sequoia Limited with heated seats

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 07-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Hard Core 4+

Are you using the security coupler or the regular, permanently bolted on knuckle? Not sure it matters, though it did in my case.

I had a weird horn beeping problem once that turned out to be the horn switch wire was pinched between plates. The squished insulation wasn't completely cut and so a little torque on the wheel out make and break the short. If you put in the security kit there is a plate held in with Allen screws in the column on top of the regular adapter, this is the wheel retention gizmo.

The wire got caught between this levered plate and the center-nut-to-three-bolt plate when I installed it. It was obvious when I opened it back up, the wire was flat like pancaked.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 07-22-2011, 12:04 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Are you using the security coupler or the regular, permanently bolted on knuckle? Not sure it matters, though it did in my case.
I am not sure of the difference, whats a security coupler? Its a splined shaft with a bolt, both my wires are clean and not pinched.

Drew

Old 07-22-2011, 12:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

Sorry Drew, I'm not much help...

When I installed my Grant (w/ the security dealyo) I had the opposite problem of no horn...Turned out to be the relay.

You would know if you had the security dealyo - separate unit/cost

TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 07-22-2011, 12:06 PM
Rising Sun Member

I know this isnt any help, but this made me think of Henny Youngman and his answer would be

"then don't turn"
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 07-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezarf View Post
I am not sure of the difference, whats a security coupler? Its a splined shaft with a bolt, both my wires are clean and not pinched.

Drew
Grant has an accessory that goes between the steering column knuckle and the steering wheel that lets you take the wheel off.

The regular adapter is the part you bolted to the splined steering column that has the 3 bolts.

The anti-theft part looks like this.

If you look in the middle of the security part there are two buttons. This is where the steering wheel horn button makes contact. Anyway, there are wires for it (which you can see sticking out the back in the photo), which I think would have to be the same as the regular adapter. I pinched when I bolted it down.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 07-22-2011, 12:15 PM
Hard Core 4+

BTW, the 3 bolts in the Grant system like to loosen, make sure to check them periodically and use blue Loctite!

Old 07-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Hard Core 4+

Dave, I dropped out the part in the middle on your first pic, it looks like a phonelic spacer of some sort. I read on Mud that it wasn't needed. Maybe it is...

Drew

Old 07-22-2011, 01:12 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezarf View Post
Dave, I dropped out the part in the middle on your first pic, it looks like a phonelic spacer of some sort. I read on Mud that it wasn't needed. Maybe it is...

Drew
Uh, yeah, that's the horn button contact ring. :-) That makes contact with the heads of the three bolts (which are ground) when you push the center cap on the steering wheel (it fits inside the cap, there are three dimples in the cap to retain it). Without it I suspect the wire coming from the steering hub is just flopping around inside the steering column, randomly shorting... Whoever said it wasn't necessary must have been using a different steering wheel adapter or something.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:36 PM
Hard Core 4+

just salute them back..