Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

View Poll Results: What computer should I buy?
Go cheap if it crashes you can buy another $650 Sony 4 14.81%
Buy the PC you want, Mac's are for hippies $1000 Sony 6 22.22%
I pity the fool with no Mac, drop the $1700 for a real computer 17 62.96%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default I need a new computer, PC/Mac?

I can't decide between the two.

Here is my dilemma. My old laptop (PC) crashed in June and I got a temp replacement from my computer guy for $125 (another PC) however its slow as hell. Battery life sucks. But its getting me by for now.

I can get a little bit of a break on Sony computers, so if I get PC, it will be a Sony. I can get a basic unit for about $650 before I add any software. But I'll have to buy MS office for $120. Then the Sony I want is a grand. But neither of these are built to the specs of the Mac below.

Apple Macbook Pro comes in at $1249 with a hard drive upgrade. I would have to buy quickbooks for Mac ($179) and probably get apple care so my new total is $1700. We already have MS office for Mac from Marianne's Macbook.

Our last 4 PC based computers have had lets say below average lifespans for one reason or another. (2 Dells, 1 Gateway, and a Toshiba) Marianne's Macbook is 4 years old with no problems. But the damned cost

Cost is somewhat of an issue but not one to be the final deciding factor. I'm also due for a phone upgrade. So what ever direction I go here will probably dictate a matching mobile device.

What say any of you computer experts?
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Last edited by Corbet; 09-20-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
I can't decide between the two.

Here is my dilemma. My old laptop (PC) crashed in June and I got a temp replacement from my computer guy for $125 (another PC) however its slow as hell. Battery life sucks. But its getting me by for now.

I can get a little bit of a break on Sony computers, so if I get PC, it will be a Sony. I can get a basic unit for about $650 before I add any software. But I'll have to buy MS office for $120. Then the Sony I want is a grand. But neither of these are built to the specs of the Mac below.

Apple Macbook Pro comes in at $1249 with a hard drive upgrade. I would have to buy quickbooks for Mac ($179) and probably get apple care so my new total is $1700. We already have MS office for Mac from Marianne's Macbook.

Our last 4 PC based computers have had lets say below average lifespans for one reason or another. (2 Dells, 1 Gateway, and a Toshiba) Marianne's Macbook is 4 years old with no problems. But the damned cost

Cost is somewhat of an issue but not one to be the final deciding factor. I'm also due for a phone upgrade. So what ever direction I go here will probably dictate a matching mobile device.

What say any of you computer experts?
So you are looking at the 2.3/13" mbp? I've always figured price vs. performance of the hardware you pay about double for a mac. The rest of the money buys you a user interface that is reasonably straight forward. Just being able to use the keyboard more than the mouse on OSX was worth the extra for me.

As for reliability, I've owned 3 mbp's. The first non-unibody was the most reliable and had no problems. Then a bunch of folks at work got first gen unibodys, and there were a number of hardware problems with those. Network cards going out, screens flickering, cooling fans going down, etc. I've now got the previous gen. MBP, and so far its working ok, about 7 months of use on it. I've had dell and toshiba laptops that followed a similar pattern; some good, others not so much.

One thing to consider, that you touched on above, is what apps you are going to be running. Anything that is platform specific or needs to integrate with other systems at your house?

I have not messed with windows 7, but if you are doing anything more than web browsing and email, I'd get a mac. fwiw

(Also, unless you have some "specific" hardware that only works on windows, you can take your Old copy of windows from your laptop, install virtualbox and windows on the mac, and run them at the same time. I did this fairly often for work since it was a windows environment. Used OSX primarily, but still had windows if necessary for oddball apps.)
Old 08-04-2011, 09:16 PM
Hard Core 4+

It is so great having a Mac where everything integrates. Get the iPhone, Apple TV, forget about crappy windows stuff and your OS going to sh$t every six months in performance. No brainer if you aren't trying to push well beyond the native apps and trying to make a Mac a Windows machine.

We have two Macbooks and one of them had a hard drive fail at 3 years. Took it to the Mac store and the guys looks it up and says "oh, we had a service issue on that HD series, but we don't carry 80G anymore so we'll replace it with a 160G."

20 minutes later all is well and I'm headed home to restore the entire system from Time Machine. Less than 2 hours total and it's fully running again with the new HD.

Worth your $$$, skip the AppleCare...
Old 08-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Hard Core 4+

Corey - I'd like to get Adobe CS5.5 I publish a direct mail magazine designed with InDesign. Currently my graphic artist handles everything but it would be nice to have the software too in case of emergencies. He operates on a Mac.

Once I buy the CS software I feel I'm not changing sides as that costs more than the computer itself.

Dave - What does the Apple TV do? We currently have Direct TV, its out only option here in the sticks.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 08-04-2011, 09:50 PM
Trail Ready

A 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 imac is helping pay your mortgage, Big Guy. (and my rent...)

You know where I fall on this one.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

i own an iphone, so there's no way in hell i'd own a mac. the phone is small and a big p.o.s., so i can only imagine how horrid it would be on a larger basis.
ige tlca #1431
Old 08-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Rising Sun Member

Go Mac, especially for publishing. You will dig it! And get an iPad. It has literally changed how I do most everything for personal and work. Typing this via iPad now.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 08-05-2011, 06:47 AM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

I have a MacPro with 2 x 2.26 GHz 8 Cores and upgraded to the ATI Radeon HD 4870 graphics as well as started off with 12GB of RAM. I left the one bay at the 650GB HDD and installed Windows into #2 on a 1TB HDD. I use Solidworks while running windows on BootCamp with the second HDD and have never had the problems I do at work with a PC. The way things "just work" sold me.

Get a Mac. Listen to JT.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:35 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Apple TV: A $100 box you plug into your TV. Allows you to send to the TV from any apple device (phone, ipod, ipad, macbook..) anything on your local network, it's an HDMI input on the tv. We don't use it often, but when we do it's pretty cool. Also Apple TV allows you access to all your itunes in the house, from anywhere.. so if you have a nice stereo hooked up to the tv upstairs and a computer in the basement full of music, now you can control the itunes upstairs and play it through your tv/stereo system. I have no idea how all this works, it just does.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 08-05-2011, 10:15 AM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

BTW, I also have 2 AppleTV's and a Black MacBook.

What Tim said.