Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

View Poll Results: What computer should I buy?
Go cheap if it crashes you can buy another $650 Sony 4 14.81%
Buy the PC you want, Mac's are for hippies $1000 Sony 6 22.22%
I pity the fool with no Mac, drop the $1700 for a real computer 17 62.96%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Trail Ready

This is probably even more of an emotionally charged issue than the gun thread!

Corbet, I build fully integrated internet applications and Websites using the complete Adobe master collection on a PC. The theory that Macs are better for graphics is no longer true as the integration of Intel chips brought the hardware differences into equity. The older RISC based chips were ahead of the game back in the day, but that is no more.

The Macs are simple and integrated well, but that simplicity can be a downfall for those that have unique situations or want to customize beyond what Macs allow. I can't use Mac for my business since the web application servers I need to run do not work well on a standalone workstation. I have tried to build a test server on mac, but it was incredibly easier on the PC due to file access and customization.

While I am not a Windows believer (I'd love to get more exposure to workstation Linux/Unix) Windows 7 is quite stable, intuitive, and easy to use...

Two last notes... I know that most early laptop failures happen due to lack of cleaning out the cooling fans and circuits. Mine was getting SLOW before I vacuumed out the air ports. Secondly, I have Adobe CS4 if you want to install InDesign (not much difference between that and CS5/5.5) or all of the collection. If you are set on 5.5 I can get access to that as well for you.. Oh, and I can get discounts on some other manufacturers if you want to price shop...

K
Old 08-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Wincher

http://xkcd.com/934/
TLCA #19340
1997 FZJ80 Charged, Locked and Loaded
Old 08-05-2011, 02:19 PM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
That took my whole post and summed it up in one frame!
Old 08-05-2011, 02:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

I get emails from Tiger Direct all the time with "Great Sales" - no idea if they are great sales or not but here is the link to the ad I got today:

LINK

I'm a windows person...Macs confuse me - It is akin to being a long time skier IMO. If you learned to ski and ski well, switching to snowboarding even if it might be cool and the in thing just ain't happening

My daughter has a Mac something laptop...They confuse me (drag the CD icon to the trash can to eject the disk?) and just buying accessories like a gel case IMO is an effort in futility because even if you have a Mac 13.1 something or other it somehow matters if it is a unibody or something - Every time something goes wrong with the stupid thing I don't have a clue how to help out. The casing is cracking and screws are falling out of the bottom and it isn't a year old yet . One thing I give Apple credit on is customer service although going into a Apple store IMO is like being transported to another dimension - those places seem to be packed whether you go in at 8am, noon, or 9pm. But, after my daughter spilled chicken noodle soup on her laptop (after owning it less than 6 months) they replaced whatever they had to in order to get it working again at no charge as it was covered by the warranty - Took a couple weeks but they fixed it.

Personally I think most things Apple are overpriced and cultish but they seem to make people happy and people buy the stuff up in droves so Apple must be doing something right.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 08-05-2011, 04:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

Apple's doing things right which is why it's the second largest US company, only Exxon Mobil is larger. Yes they are priced higher but it's like buying a Toyota vs a Ford, you pay more because you know you're getting quality and value. Buy a Mac and stop replacing your PC every 6 months.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:17 PM
Hard Core 4+

i don't have to replace my pc every six months. never have. my iphone will get replaced two years sooner at least than my pc. it consistantly locks up, it's slow. programs don't work correctly. some of it is the service, but not all. i've never gotten less than five years from a pc. and i've never bought a quality pc. i've never spent more than $500 on a pc and that has always been in kit form with a monitor, mouse, speakers, keyboard.
ige tlca #1431
Old 08-05-2011, 06:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

It's been at least a year since my last Apple rant:

Every six months? Que?!

Apples are made in China with disk drives from Seagate/WD/Hitachi, motherboards from Taiwan, graphics chips from nVidia or ATI, processors from Intel, network parts from Broadcom. This is NOT a Toyota versus Ford argument unless Ford is putting Toyota parts exclusively in their new models.

Seriously, there is absolutely no difference up until the packaging. Admittedly, Apple does a great job with their shock and thermal. And that is indeed a big deal. So get an enterprise laptop if you must.

What exactly runs so much better? Office, Matlab, Visual Studio, Firefox, Cygwin, Perl? My experience is everything runs better in Windows because it is a bigger market. I know for a fact that Matlab is at least a year ahead in Windows over Apple so most people at our place run their Macs in emulation (which is an absolutely stunning emulation - not saying Apple doesn't do a great job with software - just saying I don't care about the OS).

I can't fathom spending double for the same exact electronics. Now, yes, it is running a BSD Unix variant that is slick as all get out. Great. But I'm a guy who hates GUIs anyway and so I've never cared about icons getting bigger as I roll over them and whatever other wizbang feature they have. I just bought yet another PC (sixth one running in this house) off Woot for $225 with a docking station. Couldn't be happier. Saving the extra $1500 for ammo for the roving hordes gathering in the current mounting depression.

Now I'm a stockholder of that misable company so go ahead buy them. But please, please, please don't get the Apple Jesus-fish-like logo sticker and afix it to your car next to your Rising Sun sticker.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

Got a 13" Mac book pro in the spring. If I were to to it again I'd buy the same thing over again. Plugs into 40" TV to watch movies and listen to tunes. I'm no computer genius, I update a website using Joomla, emails, Netfix, pandora. Way more computer than I'll ever need.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:53 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnhamstj View Post
Got a 13" Mac book pro in the spring. If I were to to it again I'd buy the same thing over again. Plugs into 40" TV to watch movies and listen to tunes. I'm no computer genius, I update a website using Joomla, emails, Netfix, pandora. Way more computer than I'll ever need.
my acer with windoze plugs into the tv and plays music and movies too.
ige tlca #1431
Old 08-05-2011, 09:18 PM
Hard Core 4+