Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: What computer should I buy?
Go cheap if it crashes you can buy another $650 Sony 4 14.81%
Buy the PC you want, Mac's are for hippies $1000 Sony 6 22.22%
I pity the fool with no Mac, drop the $1700 for a real computer 17 62.96%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2011, 02:02 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to RedCreeper

I have worked on both PCs and Mac's my entire career. Everything has its place and purpose. I have a Dell PC laptop here and i can't stop getting viruses on the darn thing. My Mac on the other hand don't have this issue. Way back when there was a solid line between the PC and the Mac all Artists used Macs and number gurues used PCs. That line has changed and almost all software can be used on both OS. Yes Mac's cost more but you get what you pay for. I have a 933 G4 Tower that is still kicking along after about 8 years. knock on wood. Have a I Mac for the wife and it still works with only one problem when we got it. Since then no issues at all and that system is about 6 years old. My G4 laptop finally died but i used the heck out of that thing. I just got a 17in MacBook Pro with a solid state HD and this thing is awsome. Real power house to run my CS suite and photography applications along with Quark Xpress. At my old office we had 24 inch Imacs and those rocked till a back surge hit the office and we lost some hard drives. The PC Mac war has gone on for years and what it comes down to is what one is comfortable with. Mac's are not that confusing at all. The problem lies in that the PC is so complicated and the Mac is so simple. Once you get over that its a breeze to work them. If you think about the day when speed counted on a puter a PC rated at 2ghz was as fast as a Mac at 1.5 ghz. Some of this is the OS being so complicated on a PC. Also the PC Window system was based of the Mac OS way back in the day. Just food for thought.

I am sorry to hear that Ige has so many issued with the Iphone. I have had mine for 3 years now and the aps work fine and no issues. Just the battery does not like to stay charged when u get a lot of internet usage. It comes down to not everyone has had a good experience with them. That will never change. I also find it hard to believe that her Acer will run the aps you will want to run with efficiency and speed. Unless she has a bunch of memory and a huge processor.

It is a big decision to make but you do get what you pay for. I would go Mac since you want to run the CS suite and want to be able to work on your designers stuff. Just remember you will need the font he used. If you can may want to get as much memory you can so you have room to grow. Aps are getting bigger and in a few years you will be glad you got the extra memory and speed. As far as the protection plan i never get them but then again i have some knowledge of the Mac OS and can fix them when it does need it. So for someone new to the Mac it may be a good idea unless you have friends that can crack one open and fix it for you. You also get one year of support i believe from apple with a new system.

My .02
TLCA #19056
08 TT FJC
82 Scrambler (Scraps)
81 Scrambler (Sassy)
07.5 Dodge Ram 2500
69 Maro... next project when the Jeeps get done.....
Old 08-06-2011, 08:21 AM
Rising Sun Member

I got REALLY tired of the PC I got for the wife and family crashing, PC's seem to be much more vulnerable to viruses. I picked up a MBP Unibody, everyone uses and it has been running for about a year now and has only locked up once while on Safari. I just bought another one for my daughter who is going off to CSU in about a week. I have found these 15" MBP's 2.53Ghz on CL and E-bay and have only paid about $950.00 each, fantastic shape with all original packaging.. For my business however I have always used PC only because of the investment in software. I have been a fan of Dell's and now am using an E-6400 XFR ballistic series and love it and it's SSD drive, spendy however!
Good luck!!

trail rig
Trinidad, CO
Old 08-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Trail Ready

Pc viruses are really not that big of a deal if you use a good virus program... in fact the one windows is coming with now (security essentials) rated as high if not higher than McAfee and Symantec/Norton... and it's free.

To be honest, the number one cause of computer viruses is the same as human viruses. Our friends and our kids' friends. Most of the viruses we get are from the user opening emails or websites without being wary... I ran a system for three years without getting anything major or removable. I ran a test every week with a networked system to make sure. Edit: also another huge source is downloading free/hacked apps and media. But, you lay down with dogs and you shouldn't be surprised to come up with fleas...

Oh, and Mac has malware that just was testing the water about a month or two ago. There will be more.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:14 AM
Wincher

I can't vote on the poll, because I don't think any of the three are a good option - everything I've heard and read about the Sony is bad as far as quality and reliability; discount or not if it doesn't stay running, it isn't worth it.

To me, Mac doesn't make sense because it simply won't do what I want it to do. I also find them to be underpowered and over priced. If you're seriously looking at spending upwards of a grand, you can find a very powerful computer that will give you several years of service.

I would actually recommend stepping back and coming up with a list of what you really need the computer to do. What's absolutely mission critical, what are nice to haves, and what isn't important. Then, I think there are a couple of people on here who could help you either purchase or build (if you can work on a truck, you can build your own computer) a system for significant savings.

I'd start with the first question: Does the computer need to be a laptop? Do you actually use it as a mobile computing platform?
Old 08-07-2011, 08:32 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreckBJ44 View Post
Pc viruses are really not that big of a deal if you use a good virus program..
i'll second that. i've never had a virus. at least not anything major. i've had four computers in the last fifteen years. three were replaced because they were outdated. the last one was replaced because the bios chip was fried (literally).
ige tlca #1431
Old 08-07-2011, 09:04 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramjockey View Post
To me, Mac doesn't make sense because it simply won't do what I want it to do. I also find them to be underpowered and over priced. If you're seriously looking at spending upwards of a grand, you can find a very powerful computer that will give you several years of service.
I dunno, we have a 2 x 2.4GHz quad core (8 total cores), 12GB (DDR3 1066MHz), ATI 5770 Mac Pro that she uses for CS5.5, Revit and AutoCAD (so some of both in OS X and Windows). In our experience getting a similar workstation from Dell wasn't a huge price difference. The nearest comparable would be a Dell T5500 at $3,000 with the same CPU configuration and closest graphics card, which was about $500 less.

What sold us was that this Mac Pro at high duty cycle (like rendering in Revit will be 100% on all 8 cores for tens of minutes) the computer fans move A LOT of air but it's barely audible under a desk. Plus the case itself is a huge aluminum heat sink, so the CPU temp stays quite comfortably low. I'm very impressed with the thing and made the Dell enclosure look like a tinker toy, a VERY, VERY loud, poorly conceived, plastic tinker toy. Adding hard drives in this case is literally a 10 second task, a few screws, no cables. The case is clearly conceived as a whole, the ducting, the air path, it's all part of the larger plan to make a legit workstation that keeps the CPU, GPU and HDDs all cool during high activity. In the mid range I think the Apple products are really are worth the premium, even running Windows it is in our view a better product.

I guess the iMac and Mac Book are priced noticeably higher than similar stuff. But we've had good luck with them over the years. My first Mac was a PowerMac 7100 (in 1994), which I sold for a PowerMac 9500 soon after (roughly 1996). We kept that until 2003 when I got a decent job and we bought a G4 20" iMac. That was replaced with this Mac in 2011. So we seem to get around 7 to 9 years from our Macs, which are replaced primarily because of technology obsolescence not failures. Plus in every case we've been able to actually sell a 7+ year old computer to someone for a couple of hundred dollars.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 08-07-2011, 11:09 AM
Wincher

Sorry, I should have said "for me as an individual." Yes, there are some powerful Macs, and they're significantly better since they've gotten onto the Intel platform. But, for me as an individual, they don't run the software that I want them to run, so I lean much more strongly towards a windows box.

The problem is also comparing Mac to Dell or Sony. For a desktop, IMHO, it makes much more sense to build your own machine - by skipping the Dell/Sony middleman you can save significant amounts of money and tune the machine to exactly what you want to do - and allow an easy upgrade path that extends the life of your machine significantly. MaximumPC (both magazine and .com) is an excellent resource for pulling maximum performance from PC hardware, and do regular articles on specialized builds in all sorts of price ranges.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Hard Core 4+

Yes I do need a mobile platform either a laptop or tablet that I could remote to PC if needed. So I've considered an IMac/IPad combo.

I'm not a computer geek with the knowledge of building my own PC. If I wanted to devote the time I'm sure its not that hard, plus my neighbor is said geek. (I just don't want to spend the time myself) In addition to the price break on Sony, my computer guy recommended preferred Sony, HP and a couple more "over the counter" brands. He does not like Apple.

What I need to run to function: Email, Quickbooks, MS Office, Manage my website, etc... I'd also like to find an app/program that allow for a client to sign off on a ad proof digitally (IPad would be ideal for this). Trying to cut down on the paper.

What I want to run when $ allows: CS4 or better.

Personally I manage my photos, itunes, surf the web, etc... Nothing major there.

For those of you who don't know, I publish a direct mail coupon magazine. www.localdealsmagazine.com My graphic designer JT (Trapper50cal) currently does all the graphics work. But I should have the ability to as well, (emergency).
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 08-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Rising Sun Member

One of the differences I still struggle with is backups. Mac Time Machine is beautiful. You turn it on and ignore it until you need it. I've never had a hard drive crash on a Mac but I have upgraded hard drives on several machines. I was able to swap hardware and reload the entire image of the old drive onto the new drive without giving it much thought. It just worked.

Windows, one the other hand, has been an ongoing PITA to create backups. I had a program that did ok until I installed a network available storage device. For some reason, the software can not use the device but for another $50 the vendor tells me the newer version "might" work. The backup software that comes with the storage device didn't work. Now I run Windows backup once in a while, cursing everytime because it can't find the settings I created last time. While I'm fighting with the Windows machine, Time Machine quietly runs in the background backing up several Macs to the same storage device, once or twice a day.

BTW, I run Windows XP on a Mac Mini for my wife. She prefers Windows due to software her company uses. I couldn't find a decent small platform Windows machine other than the all-in-one computers. I bought a used Mini on Ebay and set it up to dual boot either Mac or XP but that machine just runs XP all the time. It works great, well as great as XP can.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 08-08-2011, 11:30 AM
Hard Core 4+

I should also add that our household is already over 50% Mac as Marianne runs her macbook and Ipad2 I only went back to a PC a year ago because of cost.
2004 Starcraft 10RT