Old 06-18-2006, 06:32 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Bill exits the garden, still strapped.
Attached Images

Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 06-18-2006, 06:36 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

The garden itself was about the same as last year, which wasn't as bad as some previous years. The bypass was more difficult due to the dug out spot between the two trees. The section above the rock garden was a lot more difficult than I have ever seen it, and I could hear on the radio behind me where a few people needed a spot here and there. Below, you can see Matt Miller and Matt Lewis coming up part of that section. There was one spot there where I swear I saw air under all four of his tires!
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2006, 06:39 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Yuri makes it out just before the last switchback before the meadow at the top. Oleg was telling me that they just finished that rig about nine o'clock last night. Skid plate, rear bumper, front and rear receivers for a receiver-mounted winch, and the receiver plate to mount the winch to. As always, they do superb work! Of course since they finished so late, they didn't have time to paint the bumper and belly armor.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2006, 06:43 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

As always, the views at the top meadow were spectacular! We came back down the Georgetown side, and as usual I-70 was a parking lot. Bill and I took the frontage road, but even that became congested. As usual it loosened up around Idaho Springs, but it still took about an hour to get home from Georgetown. A wonderful Father's Day run!
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2006, 08:36 PM
Rising Sun member

Thanks again Jeff for the lead! We had a great day, I was way impressed with how the 40 handled with the Lockright and MT/Rs! There was a lot of belly dragging (mainly front/rear diffs and springs) and a liberal use of the skinny pedal, but we all made it through! Like you said it was a great way to spend Father's Day!

I feel a little guilty about being involved with the jumping on the Chili to prevent a rollover, but I understand it's pretty much been a bad karma thing to do after the incident last year. But just a question that I think should be discussed before trail runs/driver's meetings etc. is what to do before an impending rollover and no strap is available to make a quick recovery? Do we need to be more prepared and have a strap out and attached when such a maneuver is likely? I'd like to see some discussion about this since it's been so common for people to jump on a truck on its way over that now that that's a no-no I think we should be prepared with another alternative in mind. Thoughts anybody?
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 06-18-2006, 09:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

Best Fathers Day I can remember. Not upset about the ding in my fender, If those things bothered me, I shouldn't wheel it.

Here is a shot of Yuri and Oleg driving "Red Chili Eater" Olegs name for it.

Rachel kissing the same tree I did, who spotted Rachel? She has a few scrapes on the door, but no dent.

Red Chile in the Rock Garden
Attached Images

02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 06-18-2006, 09:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Rachel let Sarah drive her 4runner from after the rock garden all the way down. Here I am spotting her through some stuff
Attached Images

02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 06-18-2006, 09:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

The view from the meadow and me and my girls on fathers day
Attached Images

02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 06-19-2006, 08:00 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali
I feel a little guilty about being involved with the jumping on the Chili to prevent a rollover, but I understand it's pretty much been a bad karma thing to do after the incident last year. But just a question that I think should be discussed before trail runs/driver's meetings etc. is what to do before an impending rollover and no strap is available to make a quick recovery? Do we need to be more prepared and have a strap out and attached when such a maneuver is likely? I'd like to see some discussion about this since it's been so common for people to jump on a truck on its way over that now that that's a no-no I think we should be prepared with another alternative in mind. Thoughts anybody?
There are a number of trails where a pre-strapping before a particular obstacle is obvious. Widow Maker on Metal Masher comes to mind. But Bill just took an odd line, I'm sure he wasn't expecting to do a wheel stand any more than we were. Actually, I've never seen anyone do that through that section. I even got a little tippy when I was trying to manuever behind Yuri as we were preparing to leave the garden. I just put it in reverse and went a different way.

You may recall I had to cut the driver's meeting short due to that lady trying to get past our line of rigs where we aired down. But there are ALWAYS straps available. A strap is just one of those essential pieces of equipment everyone should carry, and most of us always do. But like breakage, there is the potential for a flop on just about any trail, heck think of what happened to Yuri on that one section of easy trail. A moment of inattention and he was almost off the trail. Our hobby is inherently risky and we have to always be paying attention and think about the risks.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:26 AM
Rising Sun Member

I think we acted appropriately and don't see an issue with Jumping on Bills truck until we had it secured with a strap. The accidents happen when the driver tries to move while people are on it, that is the no-no.

That was a little scary with Yuri. Gave me a chance to use my winch. Yuri had edged his diver side tires off the road and was leaning in a dangerous position with a very steep embankment. We used my winch, a snatchblock and a sturdy tree to pull him back on the road. He redeemed himself in the rock garden later on.
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i