Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 08-21-2011, 09:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

From your location Tim, an antenna would get all the major networks...
82 FJ40
Old 08-24-2011, 10:58 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Ok, so I bought a Terk FDTV2A Omni-Directional Amplified Flat Digital HDTV Antenna. got it off Amazon, used, for

> Item Subtotal : $9.29
> Shipping & Handling : $7.90
> Total : $17.19

came from that Frog Jar retailer.

It came today. Plugged it into our upstairs bedroom TV and it seems to work quite well. I have no idea how many channels there are, probably 40 or 50? Seems to get all the major networks, nice dose of shopping, Spanish stuff, even MTV3? Never heard of it.. and it still doesn't even have videos. you'd think with 3 channels they'd show videos on one of them.

What's interesting is the sizes of the images all vary- some are full screen, some are skinny but take up the full height, just 3" on each side is chopped off. And others are shrunk down on all sides, with a border top and bottom in addition to the sides. The majors all seem big though, and picture quality looks really good.. not sure I'd call it high def, but it's only a 720 tv upstairs so maybe it is.. guess I'll see how it looks downstairs on the 1080i tv. Anyway I'm pretty happy with the purchase so far, and the monthly bill seems reasonable.

Anyway silly question, but so can I run other TV's off this same antenna? Or should I buy another one for downstairs? I've already got Coax running between the two, so am I just a splitter away from local TV everywhere here?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 08-25-2011, 08:56 AM
Rising Sun Member

We have direct TV so not sure if this relates to your screen size issue but sometimes we get the side bars during a commercial break and then the show will go back to full screen.

I used to see this more when HD first came out, Sometimes I would see this with a TV setting, as well.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 08-25-2011, 09:26 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sandstorm 4rnr View Post
We have direct TV so not sure if this relates to your screen size issue but sometimes we get the side bars during a commercial break and then the show will go back to full screen.

I used to see this more when HD first came out, Sometimes I would see this with a TV setting, as well.
When we had cable TV (Comcast) for some reason the upstairs TV was always chopped on the sides- and try as I might, I just couldn't figure out how to correct that, if I got it to fill up the sides it would be too big and I'd lose the top & bottom of the image- so cut off the top of everyone's heads, and lose the ticker at the bottom, etc.

so I was a little elated to see that the TV is now full screen, it's just funny now it changes channel to channel. It's fine though, we really don't watch much TV anymore anyway.

And I think I answered my own coax question- the stuff running through the house is still connnected to Comcast, for phone & internet, so I think I'd be messing that up if I tried to cram TV the other direction. I'm just going to move the antenna downstairs and call it done, hopefully the reception is as good.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 09-04-2011, 09:24 AM
Hard Core 4+

There are sites that stream NFL games live. I used to know the name of one but have forgotten it as I'm a DTV ticket subscriber. Search European sites.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 09-04-2011, 02:45 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Anyway I'm pretty happy with the purchase so far, and the monthly bill seems reasonable.
Monthly bill? Isn't this just an antenna?
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:06 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
Monthly bill? Isn't this just an antenna?
exactly.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 09-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Hard Core 4+

I bought my nephew a sling box two years ago and it let's me watch hometown Wisconsin TV free. I see every Packer, Badger, and Brewer game. Works great. Now I have the iPad app and can watch on the go.