Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 08-21-2011, 10:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default USA Pro Cycling challenge

Anyone going to see some or all of the stages?

I wanted to see the Salida to Crested Butte stage but have to travel for work.

Might get to see Wednesday''s stage or Sunday.

Paul/Marco can't remember which of you told me they were climbing Cottonwood but you were right! dirt!! That will be soo cool!

http://www.usaprocyclingchallenge.com/
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 08-22-2011, 05:46 AM
Hard Core 4+

We were out in Gunnison for the 24 Hours in the Sage and were hoping to stay out, follow the stages in and around Gunnison, Crested Butte (this would have been cool, a climb to the finish), Cottonwood. But I had to be at work this morning, so another blown vacation. I'm still crossing my fingers that I can sneak down for the Cottonwood stage, long day in the saddle for them and me. We'll likely watch Sunday's stage at the Lookout climb.

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 08-22-2011, 08:39 AM
Rising Sun Member

I fly back into town tomorrow night and was thinking of getting up early and trying to find a spot along cottonwood Wednesday morning.

Maybe I will see you there?
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
Old 08-22-2011, 08:59 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou Sandstorm View Post
I fly back into town tomorrow night and was thinking of getting up early and trying to find a spot along cottonwood Wednesday morning.

Maybe I will see you there?
I'm planning to be there, but things can and often do change drastically in 24 hours. I'm planning on going up tomorrow and am working on taking tomorrow off, too. If I can, I will be on Cottonwood, but if not I will be probably on the BV side.

Note that Cottonwood is being closed to vehicles Tuesday at 3PM. They have to grade and prep the road before the race.

So if you're wanting to see the KOM at the summit you will have to park and walk/ride (you can ride all routes on bicycles even during closures, you MUST dismount as the race rolls through) Cottonwood or be there before 3PM tomorrow.

If you're coming up Wednesday morning, Independence Pass might be the better summit. Although the camping on both side of Independence was booked months ago, so I would expect it to be a total zoo. The stage starts in Gunnison at 10AM, so I expect them to be at the top of Cottonwood near lunch time.

Most people who are not camping on Cottonwood already or are planning an early ride start Wednesday morning I would expect will do a hasty shuttle. See the start in Gunny and hustle over Monarch to BV, Aspen or whatever. You could see the start and finish as long as you hit Independence before noon. They are closing Independence Pass at noon. So leave Gunnison right away and do not take your time driving over. There are also sprints at Almont and BV, so seeing the start and the Buena Vista sprint would be doable.

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 08-22-2011, 11:43 AM

I will be checking out the stage that ends in Breck. Free Big Head Todd and the Monsters concert too.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:49 PM
Rising Sun Member

Those of us watching on TV want to know: Are we going to see any of you guys running alongside the leaders, dressed in elk horns and a man-thong?

Mark

http://www.scaldeddog.com
Old 08-22-2011, 02:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

Caribou rack!
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
Old 08-22-2011, 02:52 PM
Rising Sun Member

Lol!

http://www.scaldeddog.com
Old 08-22-2011, 03:06 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

I really want to go to cottonwood pass but I don't know if I can pull of the next two days.

Man I dunno why they would scrape it before hand for the riders. I hate riding on fresh scraped gravel road even if they do wet it and roll it. it'll probably suck worse than a few potholes and whoopdedoo's
TLCA#4180
Old 08-22-2011, 03:25 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
I really want to go to cottonwood pass but I don't know if I can pull of the next two days.

Man I dunno why they would scrape it before hand for the riders. I hate riding on fresh scraped gravel road even if they do wet it and roll it. it'll probably suck worse than a few potholes and whoopdedoo's
I think they are concerned with washboard more than anything. But OTOH I agree, they should deal with it, even if that means they have to run 28- (or gasp 32-!) spoke wheels or 700x25 tires with actual tread in place of their 700x18 ultra skinnies on 1200 gram climbing wheelsets.

It's actually a pretty good stage IMHO, two KOM climbs, two sprints and several longish flats with the additional aspect of a dirt road. You could use climbing wheels at the risk of breaking them on the gravel descent. You could go with road wheels that are heavier (also good in that they carry momentum), but climbing with them sucks.

Then there's the unknown of rain, like stage 7 in the 2010 Giro, where Cadel's MTB experience was clearly an advantage. That was the white road stage when it rained, they all looked like cyclocross racers...