Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 08-22-2011, 05:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Do the daily disposables help with dryness? I've got these 1 month dealios, but they really only last 2 -3 weeks before I can't stand them any more.
Yes, next time at the eye doctor ask for a two week supply (free samples)

The annual cost between daily and extended wear are about the same when you factor in solutions etc., but when you factor in the health and comfort of your eyes it's a no brainer.

______
Old 08-22-2011, 08:23 PM
Lifted

I've been in the same boat, but not quite as bad. My eye does have a sweet scar from my last infection. I'm thinking about LASIK but don't want to have to go from contacts to reading glasses.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:13 PM
Rising Sun Member

Glad you are ok.

I use daily wears for sports and will now re-think using them more than 1x.

As for the rest of this thread, its why I still wear glasses. I can see and they provide some protection all the time. I swap out safety glasses for wrenching and keep some in my tool bag.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:20 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

yer still a pirate in my book. Glad you're ok Barry
TLCA#4180
Old 08-23-2011, 09:09 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukshuk View Post
As for the rest of this thread, its why I still wear glasses. I can see and they provide some protection all the time. I swap out safety glasses for wrenching and keep some in my tool bag.
That's just it, I DID have on safety glasses, but the chip bounced off my cheek and got in my eye anyway. (Need old school bigger one's I guess) I blinked a couple times, didn't feel anything, didn't think anything about it. My contacts have actually saved my eyes many times from similar incidents. The contact is a barrier if something gets around the glasses or you happen to not have any glasses on. I think that if I was doing what Brady is, and throwing the lens out everyday, this would have been a non-incident.
Maybe....but I hear Caribou chit can fly 400 yards and safety glasses won't protect you against that.
1974V8J40, 1992FJ80, 1985FJ60, 1971FJ55, 1978FJ40, 1974FJ40, 1997 LX450 all long gone.
KD0PZL
Old 08-23-2011, 09:19 AM
Rising Sun Member

I wouldn't trade my lasik for anything. Well worth the $800 per eye I spent in year 2000. I had a friend who had a pretty bad issue with the lasik...and 3 months later he was STILL GLAD he had the surgery done. I just can't imagine going back to messing with contacts.

Barry...so glad to hear you're keeping your eye, buddy.
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 08-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutbeer View Post
That's just it, I DID have on safety glasses, but the chip bounced off my cheek and got in my eye anyway. (Need old school bigger one's I guess) I blinked a couple times, didn't feel anything, didn't think anything about it. My contacts have actually saved my eyes many times from similar incidents. The contact is a barrier if something gets around the glasses or you happen to not have any glasses on. I think that if I was doing what Brady is, and throwing the lens out everyday, this would have been a non-incident.
Maybe....but I hear Caribou chit can fly 400 yards and safety glasses won't protect you against that.
I was using a weed-eater to knock down some big stuff at our place a few years ago when we moved in and had the same thing happen. I was wearing saftey glasses and a chunk of something bounced off my cheek and hit my eye. I got a pretty bad bacterial infection in my cornea that i didn't address for a few days. It was horrible. I went to the doctor every day for two weeks for them to check on it and give my drop after drop to try and get rid of it. The worst part about it was that my cornea was also torn and every time i'd blink the flap would flip up then back, so it was pretty painful. The doctor made me wear a contact lens to hold the flap down while it all healed. the contact lens sucked.. i really don't know how you people do it.... a few evenings it rolled into the back of my eye and i had to dig it out with tweezers, q-tips, and fingers.

Anyways after a few weeks of pretty nasty eye pain it finally got better and i was back to normal.

I wear goggles now when i use a weed-eater.

I had no idea there was any danger of loosing an eye, but the doctor seemed very concerned. Thanks for the story Barry, and glad you get to keep your eyeball. I am sure you enjoy having it.
82 FJ40
Old 08-23-2011, 09:50 AM
Trail Ready

Way back before Lasik, the process of vision correction was performed with a steady hand and sharp knife. It was called radial keratotomy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radial_keratotomy

Back in those days, it was recommended that individuals be approaching middle age before having it done. As I understood it, the human eye is very soft and slowly changing in shape when young and gradually becomes a more firm and stable tissue with age. If you were to get this done when young, your vision could still change as you approach middle age and the tissues become more firm. I don't know if Lasik has the same issues or not but I would think that it would.
TLCA#19287 -Since 12/08
Old 08-23-2011, 10:02 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBRADY View Post
Yes, next time at the eye doctor ask for a two week supply (free samples)

The annual cost between daily and extended wear are about the same when you factor in solutions etc., but when you factor in the health and comfort of your eyes it's a no brainer.
I use the Focus dailies also. I personally wouldn't wear any other type of contact having been through the hard and extended wear soft versions. The dailies have so much less material that they are almost non-existent.

To give you an idea of how comfortable the one-use contacts are...I only wear contacts 3-4 times a month unless I'm on a trip when I might wear them daily for a week or more. I can still wear them 12-14 hours without any discomfort, which would be impossible with traditional lenses.

I went back to wearing glasses 95% of the time plus the disposable contacts because I did't want the infection risk and I'm always wearing sunglasses here anyway - it's really just easier to have Transitions lenses and have your sunglasses (and ultimately reading glasses) already on your face.

LASIK is a beautiful thing, but alas, they haven't solved aging yet
Old 08-24-2011, 11:35 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Lasik

I always hated not being able to see when I was on/in the water. I also missed having decent sunglasses so...

I let my dad be the guinea pig before I went and had my eyes done. His were fine 10 + years later so I gave it a go a little over a year ago. I had PRK instead because I didn't want the flap.

I'm happy with it.
Attached Images