Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Notices

Old 08-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default shorter route to Durango...

For anyone traveling to Durango from the front range you can save yourself approx 15 miles by using Cottonwood Pass and Engineer Pass rather than the HWY over Poncha Pass and Wolf Creek Pass.

However there is a time penalty for the alternate route

I had to try something new today. Could not bear another trip down the San Luis Valley.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 08-30-2011, 08:52 PM
Rising Sun Commander

So to do Engineer, you went through Ouray? that's what I was thinking of doing on Friday- Cottonwood then down past Taylor reservoir, into Gunny. not really a short-cut, just an alternative to Monarch. Best for distance, probably adds ~20 minutes?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 08-30-2011, 09:49 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
So to do Engineer, you went through Ouray? that's what I was thinking of doing on Friday- Cottonwood then down past Taylor reservoir, into Gunny. not really a short-cut, just an alternative to Monarch. Best for distance, probably adds ~20 minutes?
I've been to Lake City 5 times this summer with at least another 2 on the way. Gunny via Cottonwood probably adds the most time once you're along the Taylor weaving around along the river. Ya think it is gonna be the dirt road coming off the pass that costs you but that goes fast. It is the road from the dam down to Altmont that doesn't seem to end. But it isn't a huge penalty.

I actually think Silverton via Cinnamon and following the Animas in doesn't cost hardly anything more either. Engineer via Lake City is going against the "preferred route" plus Henson is tighter than that first 10 miles or so of Cinnamon; I fly down Cinnamon and you have to pick your way along Henson. And the last 15 into Silverton is fast too. Honestly, it might be faster to Silverton via Lake City and Cinnamon. Now Engineer into Ouray via Mineral might be FUN but it won't save any time.

Wish I could come but it is my father's memorial service in Wisconsin this weekend. And Tim, I still need to get set up with a rack.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:47 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
No Ouray for me. I went through Lake City, over Enginer and down through Silverton. But you could easily go to Ouray instead. It added at least 90 minutes to my trip. But it was worth it to me. I did not have any traffic on Sunday night as I hit the Alpine Loop trail had around 5pm.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 08-31-2011, 08:52 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Oh I get it now.. duh. So you went the other way on Engineer. cool.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 08-31-2011, 10:37 AM
Rising Sun Member

I've done that route a few times on this trip in years past. It always got my head in the right place for a wheelin' weekend in the San Juans. Don't think I'll make it this year. But ya'll have fun.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:39 AM
Lifted

Fun will be had. I may take engineer out of of the area monday if I dont end up doing the a.loop saturday.

I dip my fig newtons.