Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 10-18-2011, 02:35 PM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
I guess that leads to another question - in 1982 was there a difference between California emissions required equipment and Federal emissions required equipment? I don't think so, I think they consolidated it all by then, but maybe someone knows for sure?
That's right, from 1980-up Kalifornia and Fed used the same stuff...
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 10-18-2011, 02:40 PM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post
Are you trying to restore this to full OEM condition or are you adding all of this stuff simply to pass emissions?

If the latter, I would first take it to one of the service centers that can tune your rig to pass and just have them do a basic test on it to see if it passes the emissions part. If it can be tuned to pass, I would go ahead and take it in for a test. The worse that can happen is they fail it on visual inspection and you can move ahead with getting your list of parts.
That's right. You don't need everything to pass visual, and you only need some stuff to pass what comes out the tailpipe.

For the visual you need:

Smog pump (full AI system), must look like it is working
EGR system (Doesn't need to work to pass)
Cat (needs to be there and be working to pass)
Small fuel filler neck for unleaded

And the fuel filler cap needs to seal well. No vented caps allowed.

I'm surprised this was a kalifornia truck, their CARB is notorious!
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 10-18-2011, 03:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

I'm taking it all back to OEM, I hear the Aisin carb is the best for wheelin. I have most of everything to get it back working. Yeah, the guy had some deal setup with a local Land Cruiser mechanic that got it approved and allowed him to get his license plates.

2010 4Runner Trail 3" Lift, UCAs, and 285 Goodyear Duratracs

1982 FJ40 Green 4" Rough Country Lift, RE-smogged, and getting better every day! (Mid - Resto)

email: adamkingf5371 at yahoo.com
Old 11-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

Update! Alright, so I'm finally headed back to Denver after working in ND for the past 8 weeks. I was looking for a little advice in how to tackle this project. I am looking to get all the smog stuff strapped on, but I'm going to need to do a little modification. I have after marker (SOR?) exhaust headers and for the EGR tube I'm going to need to just tap into the 6th cylinder. I need to take it to an exhaust shop to do this. Should this be the first step? before strapping on the new carb and everything else? Would anyone be interested in coming down to Denver (Capitol Hill Area) and giving it a look-see and maybe we can form a plan of attack? Beers and or hot cider as a form of payment?

1982 FJ40 Green 4" Rough Country Lift, RE-smogged, and getting better every day! (Mid - Resto)

Old 11-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Rising Sun Member

A few pictures cataloging all of my parts. I have acquired far too many hoses and emissions valves it would seem! Oh well, I'm sure I'll find a use for them at some point. The rear heater is in rough shape, but just needs some TLC.
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2011, 07:50 PM
Rising Sun member

Hey Adam, I see nobody has responded to your thread in a bit. I prefer the Aisan carb in general for the F/2F, but that's only based on what I've read from knowledgeable people on the internet, and I've never run another carb, as mine is an Aisan.

If you look on the top of your carb (air horn), stamped near the front will be a series of letters and numbers. You can use those to tell the build date of your carb. Can you post up what those are?

I just had a thought - on a 40 during the years when A/C was optional, did the carb only come with the A/C idle-up components if the vehicle was equipped with A/C, or were they all built the same and something else was done about the A/C provisions on the carb if the vehicle wasn't equipped with A/C?

Adam, it looks like you have a good pile of parts, have you gone down the list to make sure you have everything you'll need? Are you lacking anything?

On your exhaust, first you'll have to find out if the EGR cooler will even fit up with your headers that are installed. If not you may be looking at having to get a stock exhaust manifold or headers that are EGR compatible.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 11-10-2011, 11:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Hey Adam, I see nobody has responded to your thread in a bit. I prefer the Aisan carb in general for the F/2F, but that's only based on what I've read from knowledgeable people on the internet, and I've never run another carb, as mine is an Aisan.

If you look on the top of your carb (air horn), stamped near the front will be a series of letters and numbers. You can use those to tell the build date of your carb. Can you post up what those are?

I just had a thought - on a 40 during the years when A/C was optional, did the carb only come with the A/C idle-up components if the vehicle was equipped with A/C, or were they all built the same and something else was done about the A/C provisions on the carb if the vehicle wasn't equipped with A/C?

Adam, it looks like you have a good pile of parts, have you gone down the list to make sure you have everything you'll need? Are you lacking anything?

On your exhaust, first you'll have to find out if the EGR cooler will even fit up with your headers that are installed. If not you may be looking at having to get a stock exhaust manifold or headers that are EGR compatible.
Yeah, I've come to the conclusion that the Aisan is the way to go myself. The only numbers I found stamped are 5017, I've included the blurry picture here. Looks like 5017? I really haven't seen any A/C idle components on this carb, but I could easily have missed it. I think I have everything, I have two kind of rusty check valves, one that connects the ACV and the other that is on the end of the pipe underneath that whole thing. Is there a way to check them? They look pretty rough, I also am short quite a few bolts to bolt everything together, I was thinking NAPA or Fastenal for that. I haven't looked too much into the exhaust, I was hoping a custom exhaust place would be able to handle that request. I also need a ton of 7mm hose, can I get a roll of that at NAPA as well?
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2011, 08:29 AM
Rising Sun member

Adam, the carb numbers should be stamped above where the 5017 is, on the top of the carb. The 5017 doesn't mean anything with regard to the build date.

I *think* the A/C idle-up diaphragm is shown here on the upper left-hand side (from this view):

It has a rod that attaches to the primary throttle shaft shown on the bottom left side of the carb in this picture:

Do you have accelerator pedal and linkage parts?

Do you have the carb insulating base as shown here?

Good luck with your rear axle as well! Hope your plan works out ok!
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
Old 11-11-2011, 11:32 AM
Rising Sun member

Oh, and I think the hose is 6mm (check that though), which can be ordered from McMaster-Carr and lengths can be had from Toyota as well (search MUD).

On the bolts, Toyota uses JIS bolts, which have finer thread pitches and smaller heads than most other types of metric fasteners. Some folks have had luck at Fastenal finding these, but I usually go to AAA Metric and buy bags of hardware. Bring a list though, or better yet email them a list ahead of time and plan with them on a time when you can pick up your order. Give yourself a day or so.

And I would DEFINITELY make sure your exhaust will work with the EGR before making any modifications. You could sell your header if needed if it's not hacked into; it will be harder to sell if it's been messed with.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Rising Sun Member

Yeah, I have the A/C idle up diaphragm, but I haven't had any luck with the numbers. I figured out it wasn't 5017 but 5D17 which probably still doesn't help. What kind of list do I need to bring? (This is all new to me) As far as the EGR goes I was going to just bring in the cooler and explain the situation, does this not seem right? Yeah I have the accelerator and linkage, but they were CRAZY rusty from the guy I bought them from so I've been going at them with the wire brush, but doesn't seem to help all that much. I have the insulating base.