Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 11-23-2011, 11:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

My chrome 60 wheels had a bead of RTV type stuff in that seam. And my set came from two different vehicles, so I doubt it was a PO thing. 99% sure my other set of chrome 60 wheels, and Dad's chrome 60 wheels also have a small bead of sealant of some sort in that seam as well.

I'm sure that's the problem you've got there. Scuffing with scotch brite and then coating won't cause that problem. You've got some serious outgassing going on under there, and it's because there's bondo/RTV in that seam. Best way to get it out would be to blast that seam real well. I had the chrome 60 wheels for Guzzler lightly blasted to give them a good tooth for the paint to grip. The light blasting (which definitely scuffed the chrome) didn't remove all of that sealant.

Here's a fillet:

Dan
Old 11-25-2011, 12:05 AM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll update when I find out something from them, more than likely Monday or Tuesday. I have another problem, since the PO used a holley carb and I'm going back to the Aisin I have to get the proper choke cable, right? I'm having a real hard time finding the correct one. SOR or cruiserparts don't have one. I found one from a '79 but SOR lists only '80-'83 would work properly. I have the knob and everything I just thing the PO modified/cut the cable to get it to work. What are my options? Thanks.

2010 4Runner Trail 3" Lift, UCAs, and 285 Goodyear Duratracs

1982 FJ40 Green 4" Rough Country Lift, RE-smogged, and getting better every day! (Mid - Resto)

email: adamkingf5371 at yahoo.com
Old 12-07-2011, 12:54 AM
Rising Sun Member

Update: The original powder coating place gave it another shot and had the same results. They have washed their hands of it and I have taken it to another place. The new place (suggested by Marco) seems to be a lot more competent and already had a few suggestions on how to tackle the problem. Hope it goes well! Any advice on the choke cable?

1982 FJ40 Green 4" Rough Country Lift, RE-smogged, and getting better every day! (Mid - Resto)

Old 12-07-2011, 06:46 AM
Rising Sun Member

Did you try Toyota? I was able to get a choke cable from Boulder Toyota a few months ago for my '76.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:30 AM
Rising Sun Member

T he choke cable for the later trucks is NLA. I tried.

I was planning on robbing the one from my 60 (no idea why it is still in there). It was suggested that the cable is the same, it is just the knob and cable length that differ?

Adam, hopefully the new place works for you.
82 FJ40
Old 01-09-2012, 10:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Further down the rabbit hole...

Well dear friends, it appears my 40 still has surprises to share. I (admittedly) bought this truck without knowing much about them and jumped on one that I thought avoided many of the costlier problems (rust primarily). Well, I still haven't gone over it with a fine tooth comb due to my intense work schedule keeping me out of town frequently, but tonight I got a quite unpleasant surprise.

Well, it looks like the floorpans were rusted through and the PO fiberglassed them and rhino lined it afterwards. There might be more surprises but the rear sill looks good, I guess the only other place would be under the windshield frame. Patching these are on the list now.

I don't think the guy I bought it from really knew about this problem; he told me it was a "rust free" cruiser. He seemed like an honest guy just not mechanically inclined at all, must have been the guy before him. Live and learn I guess!
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

Just line the bottom and call it good.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. A little rust keeps a 40 on the trail. Get it too pretty and it starts to only live in the garage.

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 01-10-2012, 01:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

The ones that claim "rust free" are the ones you should scrutinize - very few are truly rust free. I've come to appreciate the rust in my floor boards - in the summer months it improves air flow over the floor board making the exhaust heat less noticable....
Old 01-10-2012, 01:38 PM
Rising Sun Member

When I finally get around to swapping my tub maybe my old tub will have usable stuff you can have..
82 FJ40
Old 01-29-2012, 03:12 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Update!

Well thanks for everyone's help! This is what I have gotten done so far.
The resmogging is going well, I had the old header removed and a new down tube fabbed up and an exhaust manifold put on, Installed the original carb and thorttle linkage and air cleaner. Haven't gotten around to finishing installing the air injection system system and the rest of the smog system yet. I finally did get my tires back from the powder coating place and swapped out my 33x12.5s with 33x10.5 MTs. I had a difficult time finding a color of cygnus white. I ordered a 2oz tube from paintchip.com and compared it to some stock powders and chose the closest color. I've attached the picture of what I was looking at when I chose the color. I'm still on the fence after seeing the final product. It looks MUCH "beige-ier" than I was expecting. From what I have read on MUD it seems that is a common reaction. (The pictures are cell phone quality, I apologize)
Attached Images