Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 11-12-2015, 03:11 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Correct way to tap reverse light wire?

I have replaced my backup light bulbs with 7w led's a while back with disappointing results. I have an extra 18w wide led light that I mounted on my bumper and need to figure out how to power it. I'd rather not run a new wire from the battery and install a relay, so was wondering if there is a "correct/acceptable" way to tap into the reverse wire in the rear quarter panel?

I think with replacing the original bulbs with 7w bulbs I have sufficient spare capacity to add in the extra light on the original circuit. Cutting the wire and then using a butt splice with two wires on one end seems like it would work but maybe not the correct way? I know I don't want one of those blue clamp on things that always seem to corrode. Is there a good way to tap into a wire?
Old 11-12-2015, 03:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coax View Post
I have replaced my backup light bulbs with 7w led's a while back with disappointing results. I have an extra 18w wide led light that I mounted on my bumper and need to figure out how to power it. I'd rather not run a new wire from the battery and install a relay, so was wondering if there is a "correct/acceptable" way to tap into the reverse wire in the rear quarter panel?

I think with replacing the original bulbs with 7w bulbs I have sufficient spare capacity to add in the extra light on the original circuit. Cutting the wire and then using a butt splice with two wires on one end seems like it would work but maybe not the correct way? I know I don't want one of those blue clamp on things that always seem to corrode. Is there a good way to tap into a wire?
The best way to do it (and the way I do) is to remove the pin that corresponds to that wire from the plug nearest it, then simply remove the insulation from a section of the wire. Then splice the additional wire onto the un-insulated section of wire, solder the wires together, and then slide heat shrink over the joint (this is why you removed the pin).

Doing it that way leaves the original wire intact (minus the insulation), and solidly connects the additional wire to the original.

Dan
Old 11-12-2015, 04:22 PM
Hard Core 4+

After soldering, you can also apply silicone grease to the soldered joint (and surrounding wire/insulation) before heat-shrinking the tubing, which seals the splice in grease, inside the tubing.

If you drive in the winter, all your wiring is undergoing a salt bath on snowy days.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:41 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
After soldering, you can also apply silicone grease to the soldered joint (and surrounding wire/insulation) before heat-shrinking the tubing, which seals the splice in grease, inside the tubing.

If you drive in the winter, all your wiring is undergoing a salt bath on snowy days.
They make special heat shrink for harsh environments. I use it when I do splices or repairs underneath. We get the 3M EPS-200 and EPS-300 here at work, but there are others. It's a polyolefin, so it doesn't shrink a ton (about 2:1), but it's got a heat-activated goo lining the inside that bonds with most types of insulation and coats the connection. It's highly resistant to typical solvents and salts, it's used specifically in marine and similar environments. It's not really that expensive, usually about $10 for a 4 foot length.

You could use it over the Scotchloc/Snap-Lock dealies to prevent them from corroding, too. Although they still tend to eventually cut the strands and break when flexed.
'12 Gunnar Rockhound 29

"Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. Nobody is able to achieve this completely, but the striving for such achievement is in itself a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security. " --Albert Einstein
Old 11-12-2015, 06:53 PM
Vice Commander

This is a great article

http://www.doofclenas.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=139041

TLCA #23166

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988 Hilux, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"RedChili"-1987 Super Beast

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 11-12-2015, 07:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy! View Post
Yeah that is! What I described is the "tap solder" in this article. The "western union" joint is what I use when connecting two wires together. I did a few hundred of them on the faux-lux when I put the EFI engine from a RHD truck into the LHD truck. Zero problems with them, after another 350,000 miles of hard driving.

Good find on the article!

Dan
Old 11-13-2015, 12:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

I wrote a thread on this http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/back...ameras.803358/
Old 11-13-2015, 01:40 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukshuk View Post
Good stuff!

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!
Old 11-13-2015, 02:19 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks for the links!
"I drive an ECO-FRIENDLY FZJ80...It's got a salvage title which makes it a RECYCLED vehicle. Therefore, don't mess with me when I park in the "Reserved for Green Vehicle" spots in Boulder!!!
http://www.vrbo.com/322094
Old 11-13-2015, 02:41 PM
Hard Core 4+

Awesome thanks for the info and links everyone! Much appreciated. I think for my project I'll either try to strip back some of the wire in the rear quarter panel or pull the pin and try to solder directly onto it. Now just need a slightly warmer day!