Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-23-2016, 03:19 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CBone
Default Losing Power in Dual-Battery Setup

Struggling with an electrical problem in the FWC. I have a dual battery setup with a separator from the truck. The camper has a "plug-in" that allows the truck, when running, to charge my batteries in the camper. My voltage indicator has been showing volts at roughly the 12.2-12.4 range. I intentionally went with a dual-battery setup in the camper to run my ARB fridge for a few days of camping in hot weather.

For some reason, my voltage dropped below 12, kicking the ARB off. I'm going to charge the batteries with a charger to restore full charge to both of them, but I'm curious as to why the batteries aren't charging sufficiently when driving. In speaking to a "battery" guy, he said the charge coming from the truck when being driven is the equivalent of a trickle charge. Even so, I thought I'd have enough charging time from driving to work and such, to keep the batteries fully charged and the fridge running.

Where's the problem with the charging set-up, what should I be looking at in order to camp in one place for a few days and not have to worry about losing all power?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts
TLCA#11073
Old 06-23-2016, 03:29 PM
Vice Commander

Sounds like your alternator might be on the fritz, I would expect to see 13.8-14.4 while charging unless the load was tremendous.

2008 mall cruiser - aka Black Beauty - ramps good
1994 fzj80 - nearly 500,000 miles young - thrasher rig
84 FJ60 low gears, locked, fun, rebuilt-2FE - gone
1995 Toyota Camry, 4x4 at heart

"In God [i] trust. All others, bring data"
-E. Deming
Old 06-23-2016, 04:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

I bet your alternator cant keep up. Even a work commute is not enough time to get two batteries up to snuff. Think about how long it takes for a battery charger...

It's been HOT out. My fridge is doing the same thing. I have two yellow tops and im going through the same thing. I just dont drive enough to keep them charged when trying to keep the fridge at 29 degrees in a 110+ degree car. A battery charger puts them back where they need to be overnight.
77 VW Beetle
86 XR600 Stretched. Lowered. Hardtailed

Long live the carburetor!
Old 06-23-2016, 05:27 PM
Hard Core 4+

What kind of dual battery charge system? My national Luna will not charge battery 2 if volts are too low and too short duration. So, my short work commute doesn't charge battery 2 at all and it goes flat (but long trips with extended periods of driving, performs fine).

'85 FJ60
'91 Pickup

Last edited by MDH33; 06-23-2016 at 07:14 PM.