Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-16-2016, 07:55 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default FJ60 tips and tricks

I figured I would post up something about this because it seems like there are a couple new FJ60 owners on the forum, and there's always something new to learn from others.

What have you done to your 60 that you thought was pretty clever? Ive seen a lot of stuff fancy drawer systems, roof-rack storage tubes etc, but what have you done that made camping/wheeling/whatever easier without much work? We love to camp and wheel in my FJ60 without much "overland" fluff ( Except fo 35's, armor and airlockers ) We stay pretty well organized with plastic bins, so we just pull everything out and sleep in the back.

Ill start will my axle and hi-lift storage. I used the K.I.S.S. approach on this one. Everything fits under the rear seat, whether it's up or down. A complete set of front axles, and rear axles (Short side not pictures) and a 48" hi-lift jack. The hi-lift mechanism pushes into the upholstery a bit, but it's been 2 years with this setup and no wear on the fabric yet. Nothing is really tied down either... something I could improve on, but nothing moves or rattle son the trail.

Having these items stored in the car makes everything stay nice and fresh without any corrosion.
Attached Images

77 VW Beetle
86 XR600 Stretched. Lowered. Hardtailed

Long live the carburetor!
Old 06-16-2016, 09:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

My kids would scrape their legs on those wheel studs. I guess you could pound them out if you were worried about it?

I think Marco's inverter location is pretty nice- under the driver seat. that's all I got.

05 525EXC, 01 XT225, 09 TTR125, 07 TTR90, 07 CRF50

www.gamiviti.com

Old 06-17-2016, 12:16 PM
Hard Core 4+

LED dome lights, for sure.

BMW driver's seat with Torfab bracket.

Under hood battery maintainer for when it's parked for long periods out of the salt/winter crud.

FJ62 - remove the giant air silencer on the air pump. It does little good, and hogs a lot of engine compartment.

Hella H4 low beams
Old 06-18-2016, 07:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

Gas Struts for the hood.

I used 90 lb struts from McMaster-Carr, and it turns out I received one bum strut. But the one good one holds the hood up so nice and secure, and no hood prop to work around.

Name:  IMG_4150.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  94.0 KB

Controllable eyeball vents in the dash. Get two of the outside eyeball vents from an FJ60 or FJ62 and put them in the center dash openings next time you have the dash off.

I doubt most of my other favorite things really count in the "quick," "simple" or "affordable" categories.

Dan
Old 06-18-2016, 09:03 PM
Hard Core 4+

I used to store my 48" hi-lift under the back seat all the time too. No issues.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 06-19-2016, 05:52 AM
Hard Core 4+

A Speski cargo barrier is essential for loading all that camping gear in the back of a 60. Oh, wait a minute...

Seriously though, A couple of easy mods in my 60 to make camping easier was to build a thin wood platform in the cargo area covered it in carpet that I have a series of tie downs bolted to that I can secure my fridge, bins, etc. I didn't want to drill through the floor for tie downs. Also, When this 60 was Carlton's, he took out the rear side panels and made new ones out of wood that bolt in rather than use the plastic tabs. The wood panels also have a series of tie down points.

Not a great pic, but you can kind of see the low platform in back and my tailgate cooking station (on a WagonGear tailgate lid). A set of 3 old school Yakima 1A raingutter towers makes a perfectly flat platform for a tent. Cheap and easy. If you like sleeping inside your 60, the rear slider windows are an excellent mod:

Not a 60 specific mod, but a great one I learned from Sean; replace that cheesy plastic spigot on your reliance water jugs with a brass water heater/boiler drain valve (see pic above). Found at any hardware store and the threads are a perfect match.

'85 FJ60
'91 Pickup

Last edited by MDH33; 06-19-2016 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:32 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
A Speski cargo barrier is essential for loading all that camping gear in the back of a 60.

OK, I've recently come up with a completely different design concept for a barrier that I intended to explore with the 60. If it works out the way I want it could mean redesigns of all current models too.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 06-19-2016, 03:50 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post

OK, I've recently come up with a completely different design concept for a barrier that I intended to explore with the 60. If it works out the way I want it could mean redesigns of all current models too.
Can't wait to see the new design!

'85 FJ60
'91 Pickup
Old 06-20-2016, 10:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS View Post
Gas Struts for the hood.

I used 90 lb struts from McMaster-Carr, and it turns out I received one bum strut. But the one good one holds the hood up so nice and secure, and no hood prop to work around.

Attachment 47373

Controllable eyeball vents in the dash. Get two of the outside eyeball vents from an FJ60 or FJ62 and put them in the center dash openings next time you have the dash off.

I doubt most of my other favorite things really count in the "quick," "simple" or "affordable" categories.

Dan
That's awesome. McMaster number?
77 VW Beetle
86 XR600 Stretched. Lowered. Hardtailed

Long live the carburetor!
Old 06-21-2016, 06:58 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprosise View Post
That's awesome. McMaster number?
4138T56

You also need a couple washers and nylock nuts to match, but very easy. 1 banana job at most.

I believe the 4138T55 will work for the rear lift gate too. I won't know until I receive mine and put them on. But the T56 is just a touch too long when compressed to let the lift gate close.

Dan