Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-16-2011, 02:44 PM
Rising Sun Member

Can a 4 cylinder play?
Old 09-16-2011, 03:12 PM
Rising Sun member

Sure, I'd like to see the smoke that you and Barry can come up with
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 09-16-2011, 06:21 PM
Hard Core 4+

I cut 13 seconds off my FJ40's 0-60 time by installing a new 2F, years ago. I dropped from 39 to 26 seconds! Not many people can boast that they shaved 13 seconds off their 0-60.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:09 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Now, I wonder how many 2Fs have been ditched for V8s because of a similar problem?
Tell me more of the paper clip trip. Can't I just have someone stomp on it and see if the secondaries are opening?

You have peeked my interest.

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 09-17-2011, 10:11 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
I've got the smallest motor in my 40 than anyone...can I play? Mines even just a 1 barrel and an auto to boot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I cut 13 seconds off my FJ40's 0-60 time by installing a new 2F, years ago. I dropped from 39 to 26 seconds! Not many people can boast that they shaved 13 seconds off their 0-60.
Now thats funny! My money is on wild rice.

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 09-17-2011, 10:17 AM
Rising Sun member

Drew, the secondary will only open when the primary is basically wide open, and it's vacuum-actuated. The actuation rod for the vacuum is on the front of the carb. You can take a paper clip and put it on that rod. Slide it up against the vacuum chamber, and if after driving around spiritedly you find that the paper clip has been pushed down about an inch then you will know that your secondary is opening.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches

Last edited by subzali; 10-11-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Rising Sun Member

1975 FJ-40

Hey Matt, thanks for this great thread!! I am trying to learn the STOCK carb setup as well and this got me to go out and check my setup. I verified all the linkages and vacuum lines, put the paper clip on the front diaphragm linkage and took it for a drive, not only did it NOT move but the motor seems to decelerate when I floor it. So, I pulled the vacuum assembly and verified that it does work, blew into the port feeding the vacuum module and could hear it blowing into the carb body which I can only assume, this is where the vacuum is being drawn from (funny, my emission control repair manual does not even mention this module nor the secondary acceleration). I am at a loss as to why the secondary is not opening, everything seems to be correct. I had Kim push the throttle to the floor while I verified that the linkage IS free to move and open the secondary venturi, could it be that I am not drawing enough vacuum to open it? if so, why? it seems to drive just fine as long as I am not asking for full throttle..

One other thing, while checking the vacuum lines I pulled the throttle positioner diaphragm line and pulled vacuum on it, it does move but it does not hold vacuum at all with the linkages returning to their normal position almost immediately after drawing vacuum, again, my manual does not go into the operation of this unit only the complete circuit, is this supposed to hold vacuum and keep the linkage in position as long as vacuum is being applied?

as always, thanks for the help!!!

Brian

trail rig
Trinidad, CO

Last edited by PhatFJ; 09-17-2011 at 01:42 PM. Reason: added year and make
Old 09-17-2011, 04:49 PM
Rising Sun member

Wow, lots of questions Brian! First let me catch up with some more photos and then I'll try to address your questions as best as I have been able to find out.

First, these pictures show my old bracket, as removed, and Dean's new bracket installed. My old bracket has a clip that holds the speedo cable, Dean's doesn't, so I might still repair my old bracket and re-install it. I think this is because in some years (like '76) the speedo cable doesn't go straight to the t-case; it first goes to a secondary speedo that controls things like the EGR maintenance warning light.
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2011, 04:51 PM
Rising Sun member

These pictures show the secondary diaphragm housing and actuating rod on the front of the carb. Snap the paper clip on the actuating rod like so, slide it up like so and if it actuates it will end up an inch or so down the rod

(disregard my disconnected vacuum line - I did that for picture clarity and reconnected it after the picture was taken)
Attached Images

Last edited by subzali; 11-27-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:55 PM
Rising Sun member

These pictures show the lever attached to the primary butterfly. In the first picture, it's at rest (idle). In the second picture, this is about how far it was getting before I replaced my bracket on the firewall. Clearly the primary wasn't fully open and the secondary wasn't engaging. The third picture shows its correct position when the pedal is on the floor (after new bracket is installed) and the secondary is allowed to open. (it's the brightly illuminated lever near the bottom of the carb with the hole near the end).
Attached Images