Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 09-20-2011, 06:53 AM
Rising Sun Member

Wood / Coal fired stove inside tent, double sleeping bag with wife and oh yes, porta potty inside tent near stove. Do not forget the number one rule in ANY camping, keeping the wife warm and happy = good camping...

trail rig
Trinidad, CO
Old 09-20-2011, 07:15 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Staying hydrated keeps you warm.

For really cold outings, I wear a smartwool suit that includes glove liners and sock liners. That is followed by an insulating layer, and a water/wind proof shell.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 09-20-2011, 07:53 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaldedDog View Post
My kind of camping!

Mark
glad we're on the same page
Old 09-20-2011, 08:14 AM
Hard Core 4+

My trick is those $1.50 hand warmers. Before bed I stick one in each sock.
I totally agree with everyone about the foam pad. Even the $7 one from wall mart makes a huge difference. Keep the air mattress, but put that foam between you and it. Nalgene full of hot water is good if you are sure you closed it well, otherwise it can be a total disaster. AMHIK
Old 09-20-2011, 09:07 AM
Rising Sun Member

The red union suit gets you style points as well.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:12 PM
Rising Sun Member

Double bags are great but remember loft is everything so watch that one doesn't compress the other. Bags are rated for a person with no clothes on. So anything you wear after that helps you and the bag survive in colder temperatures. Hope that makes sense. I try not to wear anything except skivvies and a poly top. Don't bury your head inside the bag, guess where all that moisture from your breath goes. I always leave tent flaps/windows unzipped a little for ventilation and moving moisture out of the tent. I don't like that dripping I get in the morning when you start to heat up the tent. If your wore boats with removable liners take them out to dry overnight. Don't put your clothes in your bag overnight, what absorbs the moisture you body gives off. Just put them in in the morning to warm a little. When I wear my warm cap at night I pull it down over my eyes and just cover my nose. Silly I know but keeps you warmer. Oh yah, a biggy. If you have to piss at night do it. Then you body doesn't have to waste energy keeping that fluid warm. And whatever your dreaming of, make sure she is cute.

All for now,
Old 09-20-2011, 06:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via MSN to theboomboom

Ooo, another note in regards to sleeping bag ratings-

These ratings are generally the ambient temperature at which the bag will insulate your body enough maintain a core temperature that doesn't put you into hypothermia. It does not mean you will be comfortable in the bag at that temperature. Rule of thumb is always have something rated for 10-15 degrees colder than you expect to see and you should be comfortable.

1997 T100 4x4
Old 09-20-2011, 10:28 PM
Hard Core 4+

i just buy the coldest bag i can get. if i get to hot i un-zip it. i sleep naked or boxers. so the bag can do its job. typically ill put 1 or 2 t-shirts at the bottom of the bag for my feet to lie in.. i dont like waring socks. but occosionally do put some on. i dont use a hat, because i use a mummy bag and just tighten the lid down.. i used to typically use blankets on the ground folded up to make a pad. and was fine. now because of we typically use a air matress, it gets cold. but its comfy..
Old 09-20-2011, 10:49 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

When you get up in the morning, change out of all the clothes that you slept in. Yes, it will be cold, and the fresh clothes that you change into will be much colder than the ones you slept in. But the clothes you slept in are full of moisture, and when you're outside in those dampish clothes, it will be far more difficult to feel warm. Change immediately after rising, all the way down to your undies. The new clothes will warm up quickly, and you'll feel much warmer in the cold morning air in nice dry clothes.
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Hard Core 4+

I use a semi-inflating foam pad, but one designed to insulate rather than just cushion. An air mattress is an invitation to shiver. I love a cot rather than on the ground, but you GOTTA insulate it. The popup has nice foam mattresses that insulate pretty well.

I use a rectangular Slumberjack -30* flannel lined elk hunting bag inside a cheapie +20* rectangular bag, with knit cap. The cheapie bag goes over my face to a greater or lesser degree during the night. I've been comfy cozy warm even with frost on the cheapie bag.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.