Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 01-21-2012, 11:41 PM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by xodeuce View Post
Not sure if you can use a blendmount, but I did this:

Depends on your mirror shaft type.

http://store.blendmount.com/blendmou...geii-p101.aspx
wow...that "blendmount" looks like a good idea, but where did you mount the actual radio?
3" Revtek lift, 16x8 Eagle Alloys, 285/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac,, Shrockworks Sliders, Cobra 75WX ST CB, BudBuilt Skid Plates, Daystar Rear Bumper Guard, ARB front Bull Bar, Warn 9.5 XP winch, CO2 tank, Yaesu VX-6R Dual-Band Ham radio
Jim
KD0MGU

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

http://www.sharetrails.org/

“Preserving Our Natural Resources FOR The Public, Instead Of FROM The Public!”
Old 01-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr350jja View Post
wow...that "blendmount" looks like a good idea, but where did you mount the actual radio?
I've got a double cab, and the radio body is in the plastic bin behind the back seat on the driver side. There wasn't quite room for it under the rear seat with the other stuff I store in the under-seat bin, along with the jack.

I don't have a pic of the radio body, but here's the speaker, mic, and where I ran the wiring. I used Cat5 cables and couplers to extend the faceplate and mic, and then I had to get a 1/8" phono extension from radio shack to extend the speaker.

2004 UZJ100 - stockish for the time being.
Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Sold - 2010 Tacoma, lifted, locked, armored
Old 01-22-2012, 10:41 AM
Wincher

Thanks Keith, that gives me some more ideas. I like how you used the little tray for the speaker, my tray is full of spare change. I guess I carry too much junk in my double cab, because under and behind the rear seats is packed full!! Did you cut the cat 5 cable to size, or just buy a certain length? Did the location of the faceplate above the rear view mirror work good?
3" Revtek lift, 16x8 Eagle Alloys, 285/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac,, Shrockworks Sliders, Cobra 75WX ST CB, BudBuilt Skid Plates, Daystar Rear Bumper Guard, ARB front Bull Bar, Warn 9.5 XP winch, CO2 tank, Yaesu VX-6R Dual-Band Ham radio
Jim
KD0MGU

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

http://www.sharetrails.org/

“Preserving Our Natural Resources FOR The Public, Instead Of FROM The Public!”
Old 01-22-2012, 10:56 AM
Rising Sun Member

I also went with the 7800 putting the main unit in the rear passenger area where there is a small cubby for storage
Attached Images

11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 01-22-2012, 11:23 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Couple pics for jonharis.. the 2800 would technically fit in the center console, yes. I still wouldn't want to run it in there though, it's big and would take up a ton of room, plus seeing it while driving wouldn't be easy. So you'd end up pulling over a lot, or looking away from the road a lot, or just not fiddling with the radio much; lose-lose-lose, IMnshO.

that 2800/2900 is a big honkin radio. It'd be one thing if you had a tuffy and you could bolt the sucker to the front of it.. but in a 100 series I'm going to have to go back to the remote faceplate under the heater controls, ahead of the T-Case shifter.n You can just see my bracket in the second picture below...
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-23-2012, 09:38 AM
Lifted

Thanks for the pic. I really like the remote mounts I've seen and think I'll go that route on you guys' advice.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Do you have any more pics of the mic and wires? Where did you mount the main radio unit? I'm trying to figure out where I can mount a mobile unit in my Taco. The newer style Tacos are "bigger", but they sure don't seem to have any good places to mount radios!
I installed the radio behind the back seat in those "cubbies" that sit between the seat and the back of the cab. You'll need a remote speaker if you go this route. The wiring ran along the driver side under the plastic thingys by the door, up the A-pillar and across the head liner to the upper console to the face plate. The mic wire (6 pin phone wire IIRC) went back down the A-pillar and behind the dash/center console. I used a 6 pin female/female junction, and then plugged the mic into it. It's a lot of wire running for its purpose, but I'm pretty anal about keeping my cockpit uncluttered with wires and accessories.

In my 80 I went a similar route, but more like xodeuce's install. The faceplate mounts to a RAM mount that I screwed into the rear view mirror slot.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

Yep the remote mounts are my fav also but the price is weighing heavy...400-500.00 for ones that have the removable face plate. Can't find one for less, so far.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 01-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Lifted

Quote:
Thanks Keith, that gives me some more ideas. I like how you used the little tray for the speaker, my tray is full of spare change. I guess I carry too much junk in my double cab, because under and behind the rear seats is packed full!! Did you cut the cat 5 cable to size, or just buy a certain length? Did the location of the faceplate above the rear view mirror work good?
I used some patch cables that I had sitting around. Make sure they're straight through and not crossover. I really like having the face above the mirror. I'm with Matt on having an uncluttered cockpit area, so having it up and out of the way was important to me. I also like that it's in a spot that doesn't take my eyes off the road too much to adjust it.

2004 UZJ100 - stockish for the time being.
Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Sold - 2010 Tacoma, lifted, locked, armored
Old 01-24-2012, 12:14 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by xodeuce View Post
I used some patch cables that I had sitting around. Make sure they're straight through and not crossover. I really like having the face above the mirror. I'm with Matt on having an uncluttered cockpit area, so having it up and out of the way was important to me. I also like that it's in a spot that doesn't take my eyes off the road too much to adjust it.
You know I've been in trucks that are both ways, and I prefer it down by the shifter. Downside is yes you have to take your eyes off the road a little more, but honestly it doesn't happen that often on the highway- happens more when you're in low range and it's nbd to stop for a second. Few other benefits:

- allows your passenger to fiddle with the radio easier. Or allows you to fiddle with the radio easier, while someone else drives.
- allows you to rest your hand on something (like the shifter) which improves your dexterity at the finger tips. I have struggled making fine adjustments to squelch and volume when my hand is overhead, easier when it's down low.
- also once you know what button you're pressing, you can leave your hand rested there for a second and resume watching the road- not as easy when your hand is overhead, which requires you to watch what you're doing on the radio more.

It's all personal preference... but I wanted to toss this out there since there are a few guys about to do installs.

www.gamiviti.com