Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 02-02-2012, 08:33 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
That's sweet Daniel!
Thanks, and great Land use report and guest last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJM View Post
That is looking real nice Daniel. Should be good to go for a long time now.
Thanks.

I'm going to give her a good cleaning, check the fluids obsessively for a few weeks and I have already started a write up of some thoughts on the job and process overall. Number one being all the people involved.

CDan - Dan Bussey - American Toyota
Corey - aka Rockrod and the donor engine.
Two friends who lent me cars for **five** months.
Ace Towing - (Larry, 720-338-5230) and Kelley Eyen State Farm Insurance that paid for it.

Now off to work cause I'm still paying for it....
Old 04-11-2012, 11:27 PM
Lifted

Send a message via AIM to thelal Send a message via MSN to thelal Send a message via Yahoo to thelal Send a message via Skype™ to thelal

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelal View Post
Dan

I'm in a similar boat. I've a 97 I picked up at 200K and now 240K. ...
Losing some power under load and diagnosed with appears to be' leaky values' on #5 and #6
So I could continue as-is and take it 'easy' but not sure how long this will take me. I could get HG redone, values etc.. and should last 100-150K?
However don't have the molla to do a full rebuild now so considering just a HG/value 'fix' for 100-150K. Is that worth it?
Any other options
So I ended up taking that engine out and getting another one switched in (30K on a Robbie special rebuild with some xtra oomph 'bits'). Took 2-3 days but it was night-n-day on first drive out of the shop - lots of pep and need to be careful with that R foot.
Very pleased with results.

Now need to refix my fan clutch (just drained/refilled with 10K oil but no difference) as still heating up after new radiator.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:13 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelal View Post
So I ended up taking that engine out and getting another one switched in (30K on a Robbie special rebuild with some xtra oomph 'bits'). Took 2-3 days but it was night-n-day on first drive out of the shop - lots of pep and need to be careful with that R foot.
Very pleased with results.

Now need to refix my fan clutch (just drained/refilled with 10K oil but no difference) as still heating up after new radiator.
But you are running hot?

I'm doing great, about 3,000 miles, one oil change, zero leaks or consumption, and one speeding ticket. very smooth all the way to redline. Have not yet passed emissions but the cats and O2 sensors came off the donor rig and the age was unknown - though they had 170,000 miles. New O2 sensors should be here tomorrow or Friday.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:33 AM
Rising Sun Member

my old downpipes are back on with new O2 sensors. The O2 sensors that were there from the donor rig looked fairly new. The nuts were not all rusted up.

Key to this job were that the hardware was all relatively new and 24" of socket extensions and a wobbly one at the end (they rock), also ratcheting box end wrenches. Shout out to Edgewater Ace Hardware that sold me two loose ones they had in back for $10.

Last week I tested catalytic converter temperatures and got:
Driver - 430 in, 530 out
Passenger - 410 in, 510 out

Monday we try emissions again and if that fails, new cats.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

We Passed Emissions!!

__________Test 1____Test 2_______Test 3
HC_______0.346______0.1889______0.3118
CO_______3.984______4.000_______9.649
CO2______867.6______706.0_______766.5
Nox______9.354______9.256_______3.024

Test 1: no special prep, short wait, idled at 2,000RPM
Test 2: tank premium, two cans red HEET, tires at 50PSI, well warmed up, short wait, idled at 2,000RPM
Test 3: NEW O2 Sensors, tank premium, tires at 50PSI, no HEET, 15 minute wait, idled at 3,000RPM

Tires were 285/75R16 Nitto Terra Graplers.

So, HEET brings down HC and CO2, seems to not affect CO or Nox, and bad O2 sensors affect NOx. As noted before, catalytic converters measured a 100 degree temperature rise so between that and this test they seem to be working fine.

Since I could not find it posted anywhere (here or MUD) ill searchably write bad O2 sensors cause high NOx readings. Lower NOx by getting new O2 sensors. I used Toyota OEM oxygen sensors.

Than you again Robbie for suggesting I test after replacing the O2 sensors and before changing catalytic converters. Heated 4-wire O2 Sensors as we have in our cruisers should have a 60,000 - 100,000 mile life.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:46 PM
Lifted

Send a message via AIM to thelal Send a message via MSN to thelal Send a message via Yahoo to thelal Send a message via Skype™ to thelal
Default running hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukshuk View Post
But you are running hot?
.. one speeding ticket..
Glad alls running well and you got your emissions.
Ha! on the speeding ticket - hard to keep the 'new' truck on even keel

On 3rd drain/refill on the fan clutch - didn't have enough in last 2 times (as each time if takes some more). Either the 10K fluid is wrong type or fan clutch is hosed as not making any difference once I start climbing hills..
Old 04-18-2012, 08:59 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukshuk View Post
We Passed Emissions!!

__________Test 1____Test 2_______Test 3
HC_______0.346______0.1889______0.3118
CO_______3.984______4.000_______9.649
CO2______867.6______706.0_______766.5
Nox______9.354______9.256_______3.024

Test 1: no special prep, short wait, idled at 2,000RPM
Test 2: tank premium, two cans red HEET, tires at 50PSI, well warmed up, short wait, idled at 2,000RPM
Test 3: NEW O2 Sensors, tank premium, tires at 50PSI, no HEET, 15 minute wait, idled at 3,000RPM

Tires were 285/75R16 Nitto Terra Graplers.

So, HEET brings down HC and CO2, seems to not affect CO or Nox, and bad O2 sensors affect NOx. As noted before, catalytic converters measured a 100 degree temperature rise so between that and this test they seem to be working fine.

Since I could not find it posted anywhere (here or MUD) ill searchably write bad O2 sensors cause high NOx readings. Lower NOx by getting new O2 sensors. I used Toyota OEM oxygen sensors.

Than you again Robbie for suggesting I test after replacing the O2 sensors and before changing catalytic converters. Heated 4-wire O2 Sensors as we have in our cruisers should have a 60,000 - 100,000 mile life.
cool stuff.
I wonder if the previous owners had the cats replaced at some point.

I will post my numbers with the V8 soon. I am not to far from having it ready for the inspector to 'stamp it' with their approval.